Home Minnesota Timberwolves Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Every single Wolves player was a + for the game.
    Every single Piston was a - for the game.
    There's your recap.
    del and Lee356 like this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The one possession where Mitchell set 3 consecutive screens back and forth and then didn't roll on any of them was notable. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

Singler and Siva having a binary battle out there tonight.

Barely outdone by Sved and Mbah a Moute. That duo had 2 points in 30 minutes.

Kevin Love just had his way with us tonight. He was legitimately out rebounding Dre with Mouse and Smith hanging off his jock strap. Then on offense, he's 10-10 from the FT line, shoots 67% from deep and finds time to dish out 7 assists in only 30 minutes? 26 points on 15 shots. Top 10 player in the league.
    hitafreethrow and Lee356 like this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Late yesterday afternoon I pictured this game turning out this way. The Wolves are a fringe WC playoff team any the Pistons are nowhere near that. (They're a fringe EC playoff team.)

This was a Buffoonery Era type loss when teams came in and shot open 3 after open 3 while mixing in a dunk or 9. The only difference is these guys aren't overmatched athaletically so they didn't lose by 30.

Why do the Pistons never get open 3's like that? Why can't they pass like that?

Is there a player in the L that Josh Smith has an advantage over?

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That point combined with yesterday's result is a perfect illustration of how much separation there is between the two conferences this year. The Eastern Conference is really bad. Mediocre EC teams will make the playoffs, but when these teams play anyone with talent, they get exposed in a bad way as we witnessed last night.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yup, they were playing 2 different sports.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

On the bright side, I got see a bunch of guys play that I never heard of.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  7. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Disgusting game. Absolutely shocking defence. What happened to the keyed-in stuff we were playing last week?

And Mo, just get over your love of Singler! He is quite happy to sit Monroe for bad D (despite the fact he was our only go to guy on the other end), yet Singler can let his guy run off the inbound into an empty lane for a jam and the only reason he sits is because of fouls (some typical stupid ones from him too).

I've said it many a time now but we need to utilise Monroe on the elbow for his passing or his rolls to the hoop. True, we need a little more spacing to fully exploit this, so a shooter at the 3 would be better (god, Iggy would have suited this team so much better). Monroe's jumper is falling more this season as well and will start to get respected. And I don't get that his low post work was good tonight too, but for some reason we just ignore it and try something else.
    jzchen and Lee356 like this.
  8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Josh Smith needs another benching if he is going to continue to jack up deep balls...that is exactly what the defense wants. Smith should be operating in the paint, so if that means he comes off the bench? so be it. Our guards have to at least try to stay infront of their man...how can every opponent be wide open at the 3 pt line? It seems like the entire Piston team collapses into the paint and there are usually 3 opponents standing alone around the arc. If they are playing that far off their man? how in the hell do they get beat off the dribble?
    Dre is still learning the ropes on defense and finds himself chasing a guard off the screen and leaving his man alone cutting to the hoop far too often...if that is by design? Moose or Smith need to be sliding over to pick his man up. As he continues to learn to use his size he will get better in the post...saw a noticeable difference later in the game he really started bumping Pekovic off his spot and getting him off his rythm.
    I dont see the Smith, Moose Dre experiment working. Smith cant hit water if he fell outta a boat, and Moose actually looks less athletic than he did last year, he is being out rebounded by guards and getting blocked by them also. At this point we need to move him for a shooting 3 if possible.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, you kind of have to bench Monroe or Smith. Benching Drummond would be foolishness.

I think that as long as it is communicated to them that they are going to get 30 minutes of playing time, it should minimize the fallout. Might be easier to sell it to Smith since he's under a long-term contract and since the change would make it so that he plays all of his minutes at PF, where he excels.

I can see where Monroe doesn't want to be misconstrued as a "bench" player going into FA.

All 3 of these guys would start on almost every team in the league, but we have 3 guys for 2 starting spots.

I'd also probably outline to Smith that he's going to get the start at SF against certain teams, like the Heat.
  10. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

You know what I have realised.

Monroe is a bench player. He is too inconsistent on defense to be matched up against guys like Kevin Love. It just doesn't work. He needs to be the first sub for Drummond. Give him the second half of the first quarter and work it out from there.
    basketbills likes this.