Minnesota T`Wolves Nov. 23rd 6:00 PM

Discussion in 'November 2008' started by Dlev59, Nov 19, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Amir can rebound, and get back on defense. That in itself makes him a valuable big. We were cruising with him in the starting line-up. KB is useless against a team that doesn't have a very big (slow) center. In most of the wins with him in the starting line-up he didn't even play in crunch time. Our defense has looked very good in the stretches Amir was starting and it all went to hell in the 2nd quarter when he sat down. With Dice back it should stabilize that unit and always keep 2 bigs and a score PF on the floor.

The whole less wear on Sheed thing is a moot point if we're always going amall anyway so that line doesn't fly anymore about taking Amir out of the SL.

KB should start against the LAL, PHX, CLE, etc, but thats it.

Sheed/Amir is our best defensive frontcourt. Everything else has looked pretty awful.
  2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Worst lineup of the night: Amir, Jmax, Afflalo, Stuckey and Rip at the beginning of the second quarter. Rip getting the ball where he can't make a shot and the others can't shoot. We need to face the fact that our youth don't shoot well. Only Afflalo has gotten a better shot this year and I don't think he got the ball in that stint.

Almost every young big we faced plays better than JMax so far. Amir had one board in 18 minutes. He plays small like a guard when in gets the ball underneath the hoop. Stuckey was 0-5. I would play Afflalo..at least he looks like he has a clue.

But the more immediate problem is that we have no system in place at either end. I said that after the Boston game. No way to stop runs. That weak Minnie team is functioning better than the Pistons.
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Before Curry benched him he couldn't defensive rebound to save his life.
    That's the biggest part of defense there is.

I'm not certain what you and others are seeing of the great defensive Amir Johnson is truly what is going on.
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

[SARCASM]And apparently he's the best defensive rebounder on the team.[/SARCASM]

How encouraging is that?
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Cloudwalker,

Agree. We are all pulling for the youth. But so far, neither Jmax nor Amir have shown they can really board. Amir at least has the excuse of inexperience. But why do every young big we face seems like, play better than our young bigs? I root for our guys but I am not into making excuses for multiple games. Oh, sorry, Amir had two boards...for the record.

Still, my bigger concern is that we have no offensive purpose and are full of wholes on defense NO MATTETR WHO PLAYS. Curry has work to do.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Hard to argue la. Defensively DET is so inefficient that they seem to need to do 1000 things to accomplish what their opponents do in 1 movement. I thought it was Flip, but somehow they still manage to stop neither the pick or the roll.

I would stay with Kwame starting. At least he gives them some size. Every other facet of his game is equal if not better than Amir except for maybe O boards. In all honesty, the empty roster spot they're holding for Dyess would probably be ahead of Max and AJ on my depth chart.

Should they look to bring in Bonzi Wells now that they traded C Samb? He would add some [STRIKE]weed[/STRIKE] muscle without a cost. I can't get the image of Tay meekly going at Powe last week out of my head.
  7. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

Didn't see the game. AI will not be able to do it alone. He has a big job and most internal sources say that they are encouraging him to forge ahead with his style. Some quick comments:

Let us remember, the core elements (and the majority) are still on this team. Sheed, Tay and Rip have actually changed very little. Except for the most recent collapse of Rip, you still have the problems that JD has acknowledged. This team plays with very little consistent heart and their psychological dependency on each other reinforces the ups and downs of player intensity on the court. Who is going, and within what combination, to show up?

Dyess (who is coming back) was a stable factor (but, who can not keep up with playoff pressure on a consistent basis) and yes, so was CB. The team has a history of running the late season at low tide. This was not going to change. JD did the smart thing and adjusted with two major accomplishments at once: a dragging long-term contract (with perhaps quicker diminishing returns then might be expected) and gaining some freedom of movement. Although I wish the best for CB, he will have a very hard time of it in Denver come later in the season. That altitude will be murder on him.

An unexpected delivery was bringing a monolithic force which provides a focus point on reactions toward a different mind set. AI will bring it every night. There will be an unease and yes, there will be resentment. Also, no one knows about the time frame for adaptability or perhaps the possibility of some downright refusals. It is good to get it out now. AI is deferring on the side of not embarrassing by going off solo and even on a bad night would average above any player's season average on this team. He has not been sharp (by his standards) and I have seen very little comments on how his personal game might be affected. Rest assured, he will get better and on a consistent basis. Can you name anyone else in this category?

Another area of concern is how Curry will handle all this. Flip was steady to a fault, but any deviation in both a negative or positive direction, was enough to frame some judgment calls from all of us. Curry is still learning. I favor Cowens to help out here, and he is enough of a class guy to ease Curry's confidence level without the latter fearing the under-the-bus-syndrome.

Let us be patient and watch what unfolds. There certainly will be some head banging and a surprise or two will develop. Some negative and some positive.
  8. max

max All-Star

yes but overall he is avg 4 boards in 15 mins. Could be better but its not terrible. Maxiel has actually broke out of his slump. When he was slumping we were winning.

We have seen enough of these young guys to know that they can do better than they have the past 2 games right?
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

According to today's LA Times power rankings the 2-9 Twolves were ranked 29th out of the 30 teams. Even lower than the 1-10 Wizards and slightly better than the 1-13 OKC Thunder and now possibly better than the 8-5 Pistons....

No need to worry folks. the Times had the 8-4 (now 5) Pistons ranked 8th, right ahead of the equally disappointing 7-5 Hornets, who's odds to win the title at the beginning the season was slightly better than the Pistons. Wonder how their fans are feeling these days:confused:
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

And so does Kwame.

2.6 defensive to Amirs 2.1 basically the same numbers.

I'm not sure what the point is, seeing as how the defensive rebounding from our bigs is still unacceptable, and I can't take promise and potential to the bank (not anymore at least).
  11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Probably not too shabby, seeing as how in 5 years they will still have the best point guard in the NBA, and probably at least a 1 time MVP.

In 5 years we are more likely to be wishing we drafted a guy we didn't draft or traded a guy we didn't trade than we are to be celebrating the nightly presence of our all-star perennial MVP candidate.
  12. max

max All-Star

Point is our frontcourt needs work but its usually not as bad as the last 2 games.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Cloud,

Yes, Dyss needs to step right in after Kwame. Dyss can at least shoot.

Don't know about trades yet. First we must find a way to play. It might mean letting AI just take it. I don't like the idea of him not handling the ball more. We lose the ball trying to pass to AI, again. How crazy does that sound?

Max,

Amir (and JMax) get outplayed by almost every young big we play. Powe, of course, and who was that guy tonight? Yes, I will root for them every night but I have no confidence in JMax on his fall back shot or his ability to shoot near the hoop except dunk. Amir puts the ball down low and tries to pass under the hoop. Yes, he made that one play early. Why are we not getting more steals, boards and blocked shots from these two? Amir was suppose to wreck havoc on offenses with his speed. He was minus 16 tonight.

LA Dre,

I don't know what to think. Haven't seen this in 6 years. We need to get a system in place badly. Then, address the lack of production from the youth. Oh, Kwame. Dre, he can play D. But why on earth are we going to him on offense? They should limit his touches...I would play Bynum and Afflalo and bench Stuckey for now.
  14. LA Dre

Funny the LA Times said that "Kwame plays great vs former teams. Just aren't enough of them...yet" ;)
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Very witty indeed.
  16. LA Dre

lapiston, The Pistons have not had a great scoring center since Laimbeer retired. Even if we go back through these last few division champ and ECF teams, we have gotten by with Big Ben, etc and other guys we did not rely on to score.

I wouldn't bench Stuckey yet as that would destroy his confidence, but I would reduce his minutes and put Bynum ahead of him for the rest of this homestand to see if that makes a difference.

By the way are you going to the Piston-Clipper game on 1/4? haven't got my tickets yet, but will be looking to grab some next week from Stubhub.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He keeps numerous balls alive with his energy and effort much in the way Sheed does at times, and when he's on the court i don't recall us giving up 57 O rebounds so he must be doing something right. Not too long ago, Amir would come out of the game and like clockwork our defense would fall apart. It happened way too often to be a coincidence.

KB is glued to the floor half the time watching someone go right past him to the basket; but b/c of this he doesn't pick up fouls so no one criticizes.

edited to add; KB's rebounding numbers and Amir's are the same, and doesn't he play alot more? Whether you see the potential or not, we're swimming in mud right now, and we weren't when he was starting. It took forever for people to realize how good AA's defense is. I feel like Amir is held to a totally different standard than the other players on this team. Stuckey can't give away minutes no matter how bad he looks, etc.

And on a side note; i thought AI was balls to the wall, all out effort, every game is like my last . . . I'm not seeing it; he looks as lethargic as the rest of the team.
  18. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Idolatry of benchplayers has become annoying habit here since Flip era.

They are bench level players and you have to live with that. So far Flip has been in his assessment correct; or why do we expect Dice back like 2nd coming of Jesus?
    Amir committed 4 fouls in 19 minutes and for him is this pretty good.
  19. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

rax, gotta agree w/ you about the bench. The talent level is overblown. Joe overspent on Amir and JMax, and Stuckey seems average at best . He is only D. Wade in some imaginary place. This teams quickly needs an identity, get back to defensive fundamentals and get bench help. There is no one that bench who can light it up or can be relied on for consistent overall production. Tay still doesn't have a decent sub. I don't understand what Joe is looking at. The Pistons are a good team, not a championship one as they are presently constructed and playing.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

yeah...ha ha HELL!!!!