Minnesota T`Wolves Nov. 23rd 6:00 PM

Discussion in 'November 2008' started by Dlev59, Nov 19, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound: I wonder if AI is GRI now. He's probably burning up the phone lines to Melo telling him how he's lonely, and cold.

2. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Ryan Gomes had a great game....Randy Foye great game.......defense is horrible

3. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm thinking back to LB's first year. It got pretty bad in the pre Sheed days...I'm mean some real ugly games.

Give it time.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Maxiell as the center? Prince at power forward? Small ball. Nuts. No reason for it. Hmm, I notice we were cruising along pretty darn good with Amir starting. Wonder how many more games the experiment with Kwame starting will last?

Gee, if Kwame was coming off the bench for Sheed, we would actually have a center in the game all the time. Small ball must end. Letting the other team push around for so much ain't helping a bit.

Yes, Minnesota shot very well. Who knows, we could have lost this game in any case. But considering we stayed close enough even into the start of the 3rd quarter, just maybe we could have won the game - by going big. We got the players to do so. Why won't Curry do this?

Rip continues to GRIEVE. And Curry continues to play him anyway. How about some of that accountability? If Rip can't hit a shot, play someone else.

Should AI defer less? If Rip can't hit a shot, sure why not? The usual formula is a guy takes a few shots, if he's off, go to someone else.

We started the 4th with a decent crew. But then Rip came back into the game. There goes the neighborhood. Bynum, Stuckey, Afflalo, JMAX, and Sheed started the quarter.

For this game, Kwame had no business starting the game. Not enough beef up front for Minnesota to call for it. As a matter of fact, Amir held the Minny bigs in check every bit as well as Kwame did. Not starting Amir, you lose a whole lot in transition D, and on defensive rotations.

Tay had a very, very inactive first half, but then came out scoring in the 3rd. Hey, if he does not want to do that to start the game, start someone else. Check that, start someone else anyway. Tay can't handle all the minutes he's getting anyway, and he can't find a way to feed the post to save his life. I still say add Sharpe to the rotation to give us more size. Heck, in this game, we should have been playing Tay at shooting guard, and having Rip be a spectator.

Post up game. Kwame successfully posted up to start the game. That was it. Amir posted up as soon as he entered and made a hook shot from right in front of the basket. And thats it. We did not even look like we were even possibly ever going to feed Amir after that. Its like the idea was never even invented.

JMAX did a lot of damage off offensive rebounds, and we did get the ball into him a few times. But not enough. What we did most of the game is fire up, and miss, one jump shot after another. Man, you would think that as a franchise, there is not one post up teacher among them. Amir often got position inside. But he does not bother locking out, because he knows full well his team will never, ever throw the ball into the post. Its downright demoralizing. I mean, the attempt, as a team, is just not there at all to feed the post. You are suppose to have a couple of guys, from different angles, passing the ball back and forth, looking for an angle to feed the post. Its not that complicated. You don't look into the post for 2 seconds and then decide to jack up yet another jumper.

Part of that excellent shooting by Minny was us not communicating on who was suppose to address the shooter. Its like, someone is checking off defensive assignments, and as long as you did your assignment, who cares if the shooter is left wide open. That is not how it works. You stay on the shooter, the rest of the team figures out how to cover for you from there.

6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Could it be that Rip's bad attitude is spreading through out the team?

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Did Rip say something to Curry or did i imagine it ??

Rip looks like he's back in WAS.

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The measure of a good coach is how he reacts when things go bad.
    Let's see what Curry chooses to do.

9. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I must admit, I was scared to be hopeful of this AI trade. I was getting tired of Billups' leadership, but grateful of how good we actually were. When the RIP trade went down, I was sick. When RC got fired, I was sick. The end result though, was, we got better and won a championship. Several folks on this board believed that with the IA trade, Joe mailed it in and decided we were not going to win a ring this year. Right now, we are transitionin/transforming into something I can not visualize. The 2 games I saw without Billips/AI, I felt good, actually awesome. Well, because that's when I expected Rip to fall off. I get sick when I keep hearing about AI's Pistons (it's like jinxing the team's success) instead of the Detroit Pistons. AI's depressing interviews are worse than Billups' cocky/arrogant interviews. I am tired of Eric Snow ackin like AI can't do no wrong. I really don't want to see this team's future unfold like a soap opera. I know the P's will get better. I know the P's will be the hottest team coming out of the All Star break. I know Tayshaun will have a break out year. I know joe has some more tricks up his sleeve. Go Pistons!!!

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's weird watching Chaunce and the Nuggs play Lindsey Hunter and the Bulls.

As far as the game against Minny? :gaah:

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I feel ya, DM.
    I think Curry has enough help to get it right. Billups was right, it's going to take 20 games.
    And I'm no longer dogging AI. The talent is there.

12. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Played like crap tonight but I'm not worried. Getting a player like AI and losing a player like Billups is going to be a rough transition. Now that we have this little home stretch hopefully they'll work things out. I don't care if it takes 40 games to get this right I know come playoff time the team will be in a groove.

People need to chill out. Saying we're a lottery team? Seriously? I would hate to see you guys converted to New York Knick fans or how about Memphis fans? Haha come on man. This team is way to talented to be a lottery team. Lets face the facts with Billups we would have won our 50ish games in the regular season and then come playoff time get knocked off by Cleveland or Celtics. We weren't good enough we had 4 years to try and prove it. I would rather watch the Pistons with AI get used to each other, get in a groove and have a chance come playoff time. Instead of watching Billups and the exact same team lose to Cleveland or the Celtics in the playoffs. Loved Billups, loved what he did for Detroit but we needed a shakeup, plain and simple.

The game tonight was incredibly rough, I'll give you that. But give it time its going to take 30 games. We have a new coach and a new PG. Curry will get things right, Dumars has confidence in him. The players seem to trust him. Its just a huge adjustment that they're going to have to make. We'll see what these players are made of this season. It'll be an exciting ride either way.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It's not the losing, it's the absolute ease that the Paperthins can get spread out and confused on D that kills me. There was no PG shredding AI tonight, but it didn't matter.

There are just an awful lot of one dimensional players on this team. The bench? Wow! It is like an orphanage with one mis-formed player after another coming at you.

I have pretty much written off Maxey and Amir. They're just too small. They're cool for the MN's of the L, but I don't think they'll help you more than once in a playoff series. They're targets against good teams no matter how hard they play or how much energy they provide.

Tay is the king of not reversing the ball.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How could you expect TGRH to play well tonight when Chauncey used to play for MN?:crying:

15. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Haha I agree the lack of D is concerning. But we got to give it time. If in 30 games the D is still pathetic I would start to get really worried. I understand its a forum and we are going to discuss the issues no matter what, but you can't really judge them accurately until they've had some time to gel with the new coach and AI.

I agree with you on Max and Amir. Correct me if I'm wrong but Max doesn't seem to show up in big games. Celtics is a bad matchup for him and in the playoffs I don't remember him doing anything.

Amir is really disappointing too. I know the dude is young, but he is the definition of raw. If you look in the dictionary under raw you should see his picture. Whenever he gets the ball on O (If ever) I cringe at his postup moves or him trying to dribble through the lane. His shot is really scary too. It's like a Shawn Marion. The same on D he is very foul prone and makes stupid mistakes. He's like a ball of energy out there and that can work for and against him. The plus side of Amir is his transition D and his ability to rotate. Plus another thing I've noticed is whenever he gets switched on D he can hold his own against anyone really becuase of his speed and length. He has so much upside and ability its just a question of if he'll ever make that move. I hope he does though. Regardless I'm glad Curry is actually seeing what he has and playing him. Even though he's foul prone he is a solid defender. He has barely played in any games even though he's been in the league what 3 seasons? So really he's like a rookie. Flip never played him.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And both of those teams rebounded and have not lost since, but we have lost 3 of 4 since the Laker win and lost two since the Cavs win all by 18 points or more. And if anyone is really keeping score, the Pistons are 4-5 since THE TRADE, so yes, Dyess and Samb are truly missed.

If we lose the next three home games to the likes of the Knicks, Bucs and Trail Blazers, those wins vs the Lakers and Cavs will either all but be forgotten or will be this seasons highlights.

I went to the store after the game and tuned to the Laker pregame show with Phil Jackson. The host asked Phil how did they think the Lakers would do playing their next nine games vs teams with losing records and 5 of those were at home.

He said " I just finished seeing Detroit get beaten by 20 or so points at home by Minnesota, so anybody can beat you IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THEM"....:sssh:

We have not looked prepared for any team since that Laker win. Even in the comeback win vs the Cavs, it was a couple spirited plays by the bench to spark us in the third qtr and two wild threes by Sheed that went in that turned that game around.

If Dice decides to comeback on 12/7, we still have some work to do. Some how Sheed has move his game inside the three ball line, and we have to split up the TGRH and AI who probably misses Mello as much as Rip misses CB...(thanks LPgrl). AI is penetrating enough, but deferring when he should shoot. When he does defer, the recipients are not hitting the hoops. Move the Grim ripper to the bench and shake it up.

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Amir needs to go back to starting IMO. The KB experiment was nice, and should be continued only against teams with big centers. More than anything we need quick defensive rotations and somebody to cover the mistakes. Amir can do that. Bring Dice and KB off the bench.

And in a perfect world start Will Bynum next to Rip, and let AI be the alpha male on the bench unit. He can dominate the ball and it makes sense. I'd say make Rip come off the bench, but we all see what happens when he does that, and Rip dominating the ball is not nearly as effective as AI doing it.

edited to add;

Also I agree the small ball sucks. Hopefully, Dice coming back puts an end to it. I don't mind the 3 guard sets, but we absolutely have to have two bigs on the floor. We're not a good enough rebounding team to make up for it, and the advantage we had ion big guards is gone.

18. max

max All-Star

Spot on. I hope this trend of Prince playing PF ends soon. Can't see it as a successfull formula going forward. It worked on occasion earlier but maybe it just caught them by surprise. Overall we are going to get what we saw last night.

Watched the post-games. Curry and AI are both puzzled at the lack of energy to start these earlier Sunday games.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Last year we lost our last 7 Wednesday games during the regular season, this year Sunday is the bad omen day. Three of the five losses have occurred on Sundays. Well we have one next Sunday vs the Greg Oden improved TBlazers and then the following Sunday December 7th, D day (Dice returns)vs the Knicks in the Gahden

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

But you want Amir in the starting lineup?

He's barely bigger than Tayshaun.

Kwame sucks, but not so much more than Amir.