Minnesota April 15th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'April 2008' started by Dlev59, Apr 14, 2008.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It's a lot like what Cavs have. When Bron is not playing, they have good ball movement and everyone is involved. When he comes in, everyone expects him to be the primary scorer and everyone is just standing around waiting for him to do something.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree that can happen with LBJ, but I think the opposite happened last night with Rip and the bench. Rather than the bench standing around, it looked more to me like Rip just took the ball and tried to move everyone else out of the way. It was only a 2:43 span starting the second, but Rip was 0-1 with two turns as he repeatedly drove into five Wolves and then lost the ball.
  3. mikhail1973

I guess it is a better idea to have Sheed or Tay out there with rooks.
    :hoops:
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You gotta give the starters some credit for how they finished out the season IMO. They were pretty aggressive considering they were trying to avoid injury and they really had nothing to play for, with the exception of a possible home court advantage against certain Western foes in a possible finals match up.

Also give credit to Flip for the way that he got the best of both worlds toward the end of the season. He won just enough games without burning anyone out. On top of that, he's been mixing in the bench at a level that is satisfying even the biggest zoo crew fans. At least I know that I am happy with it.

Of course the question remains, will he trust the bench in the playoffs. No need to criticize him before it happens.
  5. mikhail1973

Flip said he'll trust any of the 12 players that were on the floor yesterday in the playoffs. I wonder if he left Dixon out? But, anyhow, we've heard a lot of talk before so I'd love to see it finally come to fruition. Especially considering the fact that the bench is much improved comparatively to the last two years.
    I do love what he's been doing down the stretch and I surely hope it continues in the playoffs. Obvioulsy not to the same extent, but on a reasonable scale.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There really was some pressure on the bench players last night. Maybe the most of the whole season. They could have potentially screwed up our HCA in the Finals. When the score got close, I'm sure they felt it.

Afflalo hit a huge shot and then Jarvis hit what was probably the game winner with the shot clock running down. They were going up against starters with a pretty dominant big man.

That is the type of game that builds confidence. It wasn't a ton of pressure, but it was a lot for them.
  7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I his post game comments he actually said he had 14 players that he felt comfy going with and that any of the 12 active for each game could see playing time, the only one he didn't feel would be ready was Samb... and he even qualified that by saying it was because he hasn't played enough.

Who is this guy and were is our Flip?
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Flip actually said last night that he would trust any of the 14 guys in a playoff game at this point. He said Samb was not ready, but he said he wouldn't be afraid to use Dixon or Herrmann in a playoff game. I doubt an NBA coach has ever been able to comfortably use 14 different guys throughout a single season of playoffs.
  9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Even popovich has used 10 at best, and those have been proven vets.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There is a difference between "would trust" and "will trust." Flip is saying that if he was forced to play someone toward the end of the roster, that he trusts that they will make sound decisions and play a team game. He's not saying that he's going 14 deep voluntarily.
  11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

sometimes some here try read too much from random quotes. Relax. The fact is flip has played his bench and that is all what counts.
  12. mikhail1973

At this stage, heck yeah. But going forward what is he gonna do?
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Nice dunk by Rashad McCants last night.

What was really great about it was after he threw it down and jawed all the way back down the floor and drew a TECH.

Yo Rashad, ya'll were down by 11 and well on your way to your 60th LOSS OF THE SEASON! ...You might want to STFU!:sssh:
  14. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, my time in the big D has already come to an end. I write this from another hotel room in Cleveland. Not going to the game tonight. Tickets for Quicken Loans are stupidly high and Cavs are probably resting LBJ, Ben and others. I had some days to kill and Cleveland is not far away.

But I will be back in Detroit in a few days. Why? Cos I scored a ticket to Game 1. Oh yeah!! Row 2 of upper level, dead on mid-court. How sweet it is!!

Ok, so not much to really draw from this game but there were positives. Firstly, I arrived at the arena about an hour before tip-off. I wanted to see all the build-up before the game. Didn't get to catch up with Warthog, but maybe on Sunday.

The stands were only 25% filled at best, so how stupid is it when you look at the boxscore and see a crowd of 22,016 turned up. HA! Sell-out streak my ass...

They were showing a 'Pistons at 50' feature on the scoreboard when I arrived. That was nice to watch while I waited. I guess they are showing it on local TV as well, but I don't live in Detroit so it was new to me. They went through the teal era, with interviews with Hill, Lindsey, Joe, Stack and others. I'm like, 'yeah, thanks for bringing back THOSE memories, but it was pretty interesting.

When I got to my seat Sheed was the only guy on court, taking some jumpers (both right and left handed of course). Then he was shooting 3's, taking a couple of steps back each time until he was shooting from mid-court. When he nailed one he ran off into the locker room much to the crowds delight.

I went down to the lower stands during warmups to get a closer look. Most of the guys were just joking around, Sheed and Lindsey in particular. AJ was practising his 3pt shots more than anything else. I think he nailed about 3 in a row, but jeez, his form is nothing special. Kind of shoots it from the side of his head. The guys were definitely looking relaxed. I was glad to see Chauncey out there cos it sounded like he may miss the game.

Rip started off ok, but the rest of the game was not great. He was forcing fade-away jumpers and trying to drive into 4 guys and losing the ball. Hopefully he pulls his head in when the real basketball begins. He is probably still a bit rusty from his lay-off.

Chauncey did his thing. No mistakes, Mr.Steady. A very quiet 18 points or whatever it was.

Tay wasn't really involved much at all.

Sheed only had 1 point at the half I think. His offense wasn't clicking but he was playing really solid D on Jefferson, even though Al was still a force inside. Problem I think was allowing Al to catch the ball so deep in the paint, or if he was catching it outside the paint, he would take 2 easy steps to get in there - then the guys would start to play D on him. There needs to be more denying or disruption of the entry pass. But Al's game really has taken off, he is a beast and future all-star, no doubt about that. His jump-hook is unstoppable.

Back to the other Pistons. Dyess did alright. He had a nice dunk after rebounding his own terrible miss. Showed some hustle.
    Theo had a sweet block on Richard I think it was. Richard was at the rim and all of sudden Theo was there sending it back. Very nice to have a shot-blocking presence coming off the bench.
    Lindsey came in and made some shots when the O was struggling. Every time he launches one of those long 2's I keep going, 'Noooo!' in my head, but then he'll make it. Happens every time. haha.

Max and AJ were aggressive on D but they bite on everything. I remember one play were I think it was Jefferson up-faked and both guys went sailing past him on either side. Funny to watch, but the guys still need to figure that out. Max was his usual energetic self on O, getting a nice O-Reb for a monster stick back. His FT shooting still needs work. If he is going to be getting fouled a lot, which teams are doing instead of letting him dunk, he's gonna have to get that up to at least 70%.

Stuckey did pretty well, but sometimes tried to force it into the paint too much, he would charge in there hoping to figure it out once he got there. Sometimes there just wouldn't be anywhere to go or pass it to and he'd be forced to throw up a difficult shot. He must have got blocked 4 times at least, but experience will help him, I like the aggressiveness anyway. He made some nice plays towards the end of the game, finding AJ and Max rolling to the basket for wide-open slams.

Afflalo didn't appear to have much of an impact, but he is a solid player fundamentally and didn't make any mistakes and hit a nice jumper at the end. His stroke looked very nice live.

And Hayes had a great game. He didn't force anything until perhaps towards the end. Every shot he took in the first 3 Q's was either open or in rhythm. Nothing forced. Hopefully his confidence will stay high even if he has a couple of bad shooting games in the playoffs. His offense is crucial to the 2nd unit.

Not going to talk about the Wolves too much except that McCants is pretty selfish. He got T'd up after he slammed on a couple of Pistons. Can't remember who it was, but they partially blocked that dunk. Then he ran into Stuckey going back down the court all fired up. I was like, 'Mate, look at the scoreboard!! What are you yelling about?' (They were down about 15 points)

Foye looked good, he has a nice jumper, but he won't ever be a big assist PG. More like Gilbert Arenas.

And I've already talked about Jefferson. I love his game, he should be in a Pistons jersey. No nonsense, going to work. He didn't get many whistles going his way last night but he rarely complained, just went back in there. Get on the phone Joe, he is a future Piston.

What else? Hmm. Well I noticed right away walking through the arena that a lot of Pistons fans were dressed in the gear. The point is, you could tell you were at a Pistons game, there was a good vibe in the crowd and everyone is passionate about the team. A HUGE difference to the Toronto crowd I was with last week. Good stuff!

That's about it I think. I'm back at the Palace on Sunday for Game 1. I can't wait to be with a packed arena, going off. Yesterdays crowd was deathly quiet.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you want to go to the game, but don't want to spend the cash, try buying from scalpers and wait it out until the game is already started. It would be a shame to go all the way to Cleveland and not go.

You can try going to the box office ticket window and telling them that you came all the way from Australia to see Lebron play, but you left your ticket on the airplane.
  16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Awesome job on the webzcap! I'm definitely looking forward to one from a playoff game! Maybe you and Warthog can combine forces for the most unstoppable forum recap of all time. :)
  17. webz

I didn't come to Cleveland to see the game, but if the price was right I was considering going. I already thought about going into town before the game to see what scalpers are offering, but I'm not too bothered. I might still do. LeBron probably isn't playing anyway.

I got into a Raptors game last week after Q1 by buying a $40 ticket from a security guard for $10! Shady characters... haha.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Now that's what I'm talking about.

This game is going to be strange. Before, although they weren't meaningful, we still wanted to keep a winning spirit. With 1 game left and our position secured, this is a total lame duck game. Not only do we not want our starters to risk injury, but the zoo crew should taker er easy as well.

This would be a good game for Herrman, Dixon, Samb, and a few development league call-ups. Throw in a spare tires dancer as our center and suit up Curry too.
  19. webz

Yeah, I might go just to make sure Samb actually exists and isn't a made-up character created by some Pistons forumites...
  20. mikhail1973

I betcha Lee has tapes on Samb enough to last you a lifetime.
    :stirthepot: