Away Milwaukee Bucks Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

My theory I that Singler is the only capable backup SF we have on the team currently. There are other players with more potential as a SF, but they aren't delivering with the consistency as Singler has. An example: Jonas. He's got the a better physical makeup than Singler to play the 3 spot and he hustles just as much, if not more. But, he's been playing dumb offensively (that stupid pump fake doesn't fool anyone).

That being said, I'm by no means advocating that Cheeks is doing a good job. With the players on our roster, we should never ever ever be playing small ball. Playing Singler as a PF with Smith, Drummond, Jorts, JJ, even CV on the bench has got to be the definition of insanity. However, I don't see this as a man obsessed with playing a specific player. I see this as a man who is out of ideas.

2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

That isn't a hypothesis. That is the hyperbolic claim of a conspiracy theorist - and sounds awfully similar to the flat earth guys who say that everyone else is just on the take.

We have already tested the theory 'Is Singler helping the Detroit Pistons win games when he plays'. Actually, give all credit for the very in depth and interesting research by TaS. (seriously, I have loved reading this stuff by both Lee and TaS)

In response, Singler is averaging 23mpg, which is actually less than last year. So Cheeks should be considered better than Lawrence Frank by this means test.

BillLaimbeer and linwood like this.
  3. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Lee, my post was not about my opinion, but just a question. I hardly post my opinions cause i tend to look at games differently then most of you guys. I tend to look at why a player/team/coach doesn't perform all together as a group. I don't like focussing in on 1 particular player (coach) because my opinion is that 1 player doesn't make a team loose.
    But if you want my opinion, here goes:
    We just don't have smart players. Stuckey is still the collider, Bynum is still Mr Isolation Ball, Smith poor shot selection, Monroe as PF still has no jumpshot, etc. I think the basketball iq of most of the Pistons players is not very high compared to some of the other NBA players.
    I like Singler. He works hard, hustles, has a descent shot and moves very well without the basketball (unless he is asked to stand in the corner for the 3 ball). All things that not only me notices but a lot of other ppl in- and outside the Pistons organisation. Is he a very good player, no. But the way he plays somehow brings something (movement?) to the team and gives the coach a reason to play him. Are there other players out there who can do better, yes. Are they on the Pistons roster, hardly.
    I think Cheeks is a mediocre coach, like most of the other coaches out there. There are just a few like Pop, Doc, etc who seem to have the knowledge to coach a team to a higher level. Cheeks does make some questionable choices and yes i think his rotations could be better but i doubt he is playing to loose. He is just not good enough and is being outcoached or he is not capable of letting the players perfom as he wants. We just have to accept that games will be lost because of this untill we get a better coach or untill Cheeks gets better at it.
    Do i trust Dumars? What is there not to trust? I can only question some of his choices but it is always easy judging afterwards. Did he make bad trades, yes i think so. But so did many of the other GM's of other teams and Dumars is no difference.

To me this team has several flaws on different levels. Tom Gores is inexperienced in dealing with a basketballteam and Dumars just doenst seem to get the right pieces together. Either Dumars has poor judgement or this is the best he can get on the market. Cheeks is a mediocre coach and isn't able to get what he wants out of his players. The players just aren't good enough and make stupid decisions on the court. In my opinion you need improvement on all three levels because all three interact with eachother. Getting a better coach doesn't necessarily mean you win more games when your GM is getting poor quality players. Getting a better GM who can't get/convince a good coach to come to Detroit isn't getting you anywhere.
    When i read your Leecaps (which i really used to enjoy) you make the solutions sound so simple. Just fire Dumars and get a new GM, get a better coach like ... (fill in the blanks), sit Singler, trade for this player, get that player in freeagency, etc. To me that sounds like going to the grocerystore and just pick your products for your eveningmeal. It's not that simple. Who says a top coach or player even wants to come to Detroit? Look at other teams and their GM's (New York, New Jersey, etc). If it was that simple to form a playoff basketballteam then why is the east so poor?

I think i agree on most of your points you make Lee. I just think you are going to far overboard and expect to much from this team. Which is alright but is it realistic? Bynum will stay Bynum, Smith wil stay Smith, `Singler will be Singler, etc. I don't see them changing their style of play soon. And yes if i were the coach i would probably sit half the team for not following gameplan or even being qualified to play at a NBA level. It ofcourse would mean we could only play like six players and we will loose games because of conditioning (don't think Tom will agree on that descision). It will be a game of patience untill we get better. To me some of your post seem more like a personal vendetta with Singer or the Coach. When i joined this forum a couple of years ago, your Leecaps actually made me come back here after every game to read them. I think you had more of an open mind about the games back then but i might be wrong. Now, when ever i see "coaches loss" at the top i just skip to the next poster.
    Please don't take this post as a negative towards you Lee, i really like some of your insights. They are just so negatively posted these days.

So now you know, lol
    Since this is my longest post in about 3 years, i am probably done now for the next 3. :-)

LA Dre, Walter, roscoe36 and 5 others like this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Damn...Menace should have a PF T-shirt mailed to his house for this last post.
    You seem right on about everything...Including Lee.

I remember enjoying Leecaps some time ago...

roscoe36, linwood and basketbills like this.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Indeed! Great post.

BTW, is there some place you can order a PF.com t-shirt?