Away Milwaukee Bucks Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This is a mess from many angles.

No 4th quarter offense. Case in point. Just at the 4:00 mark and Jennings with the ball outside who gives it to Stuckey outside (can't drive) who passes to Josh outside to shoot a jumper. Watch that sequence. That is the Piston offense. Later, another Jennings miss but Andre cleans it up. Good Andre. Stuckey made a tough shot (wow) but then Stuckey driving into nothing and driving again. Any team can stop telegraphed drives in crunch time or going to Monroe one against three (on other days) or posting Josh against the whole front line (at other times). And you are not going to get much free throw production if any in the front line are fouled.

How do you win scoring 16 points in the 4th quarter? What lead is going to hold up with that production? Why can't the coaching can't get more production from this team?

Ok. Let's go to another area. So the team brings in Bynum and Singler as the first subs in along with Stuckey (another great game from him but he is not as effective in crunch time). So here I guess you can blame Joe. This team has no bench other than Stuckey to rely on.

The good is that Stuckey and Monroe were highlighted. Monroe should get the ball a lot. The Pistons need to know and the league needs to know what he can do. Monroe scored a lot but again is not even playing most of crunch time. And how effective is his game during crunch time? The Pistons need to find out with his contract looming.
    LA Dre, The Panda and Lee356 like this.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good prediction. Indeed, Middleton was plus 20 for them. Singler was minus 20 for us.

As long as our coach identifies scrubs like Singler, who should not be in the league, as legit players, we are in trouble.

Our best plus player: Monroe. Who the coach decided not to play down the stretch. Coaching loss all the way. Our starting unit rocked, dominating to start both the 1st and 3rd quarters. But our coach is not into winning. He has a total obsession with playing Singler, regardless of how bad it hurts the team.

I do not blame the loss on Singler though. Its Dumars for having the guy on the team, and either Dumars, who might be ordering Singler to play, or Cheeks. Whoever is at fault, should be fired. If its the owner ordering utter non-sense like this, then he should sell the team to someone who actually cares to put a winning team in place for us fans to enjoy watching.

In the end, we went small, with Pope as the small forward. I like Pope a lot, but Pope is not a small forward.

Stuckey had a brilliant, totally wasted game. Wow, our starting unit, when it got to play, rocked. We got a huge scorer off the bench in Stuckey. But we still lose the game.

How much clearer can it get that guys like Singler and Bynum do not belong in the league.

Singler did a couple of good things in the game, like take a charge. But one rebound, no points, no assists, no steals, no blocks - you do not win by insisting that such a player deserves to play. His 0-7 did not help, especially his few attempts at scoring inside, while being guarded. Note to Singler, if any NBA player is guarding you, give up trying to score.

Bynum scored a bucket, the only other scoring off our bench other than Stucks 23.

Jennings had a nice offensive game with 30.

Well, we just lost to the very worst team in the league. And our coach does not realized that it is his coaching that is the problem. Not good.
    LA Dre and The Panda like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Fantastic show. I have watched all but the last ep of the second season. I loved the books too, so that might help, but I really dig the modern rendition.

Speaking of rendition, that's pretty much what should happen to Cheeks at this point because this guy is guilty of sabotage. His line-ups make less sense then the ones I made coaching a team of 12 year olds I had never met before. Even they could run a pick and roll.

That's a lie, they couldn't do anything except follow the ball around. But its irrelevant. Cheeks sucks.

Panda out.

[​IMG]
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I like taking my top front court scorer out of the game with 7 minutes to go and never putting him back in. That's savvy.

I'm not sure you can blame the coach when not playing one of your top guys is apparently your best choice.

Did Gores harm the franchise long term with his playoffs or bust proclamation for this year? Not to sound like Blue, but why not draft a PG to play with Monroe and Drummond while getting a top 8 pick this year. Just financially wouldn't he have been better off drafting Burke and not signing Smith?

Dumards really is the master of just hit it harder if the peg won't fit in the whole. It dawned on me yesterday after reading Zach Lowe's All Star piece that he's always pointing out smart or clever "actions" and schemes that teams run and that he's never used those words in any of the Pistons articles that he's written.

If it were 1955 this team would be really good.

I like angry shooting Brandon Jennings better.

The Pistons guards had some brutal turnovers tonight, Bynum especially.

Knight looked a lot better this game. He played tonight like he was playing last year before the Calderon trade.

We can all give Lee grief, but Middleton is a ball player.

It's crazy that the Pistons left their tallest PG inactive when the Bucks started the Greek kid at the 2. They sure could have used Silva's size out there.
    linwood, Lee356 and S.J. like this.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

I coach my son's 1st and 2nd grade team and it is erie the similarities I see between his teams defense and the Pistons.
    linwood likes this.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Really?
    linwood likes this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

2nd game in a row that I didn't have time to watch. Usually, I'd wait until the next day and watch on replay, but I had the feeling that this one would be a bummer and so I peeked at the score. Glad I didn't waste my time.

Still, not quite rock bottom.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Traveling again...got to watch the end of the third quarter to the sorry end at a sports book here is Vegas... Spurs-Thunder where on the big screen so had to hear those jokers yelling about Durant's antics.

Meanwhile the Piston game was on a smaller screen, and no sound. Pistons were up by 10 when I arrived, and just when you thought hey this looks like a W, Caron Butler who had been bricking threes all game made 2 treys in the last 38 seconds of the quarter to trim it down to 4 and swing the momentum to the Bucs. For Butler, he was 2-10 from beyond the arc and those two seemed to swing the game IMO

In the fourth quarter, other than a layup by Bynum, a couple of crashes in the middle by Stuckey and Pope, everything was a jumper. Yeah Dre cleaned up a couple of them, but there were no set plays for Dre or Smith camped in the paint or along the baseline for a easy bucket. Everyone, from Stuckey, Singler, Bynum, Smith and Jennings were clanging jumpers. It didn't help that our worse defensive set, Singler, Bynum and Stuckey were in there giving up easy points all over the floor.

Soon as I saw the Bucs score creep toward 100, I knew we were in trouble. One of the few games where we lead at the half and after three and still lost.....I mean yeah we had lost a few 4th quarter leads, but not lately.

The Bucs had tanked lost 9 games in a row. They were ready to tank this one too, but after seeing the fourth quarter game plan that Mo had, they decided to get their first win over the hated Pistons....

Well at least the Wings and Wolverines won....:thumb[1]:
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Lee356 likes this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Rock bottom I guess would be the team who only has 8 wins.....
    But at least they'll get a high draft choice.
    We'll just get another project........
    And they just embarrassed us...
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    linwood likes this.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Anyone have any idea why Larry Drew didn't take Caron Butler out of the game with 7:02 remaining and not put him back in until there were 3 seconds left? Seems like he got kind of lucky there.
    brofmfa, Laimbrane and dba like this.
  11. max

max All-Star

Talk about nailing it out of the park with the prediction.
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, that was ugly.
  13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

He sucks at following his agenda of not winning.
    linwood likes this.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I saw this and then didn't bother to watch the tape:

K. Singler: -20
    K. Middleton: +20

Glad I didn't watch this game as I would be too pissed off to go to sleep last night. The only thing I like from the box score is that Smith didn't attempt any 3 pointers. Looks like he still had a putrid shooting night, but hey. Small steps, eh?
    brofmfa likes this.
  15. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

A lot of small ball. At the beginning of the year I thought it would be nearly impossible to play with so many Bigs that needed minutes. Coach Cheeks shows his meddle by going in the exact opposite direction.
  16. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You guys have taught me to pay attention to the +-, so I was looking at that at the end of every quarter on my phone. Thru the whole game our starters were all + and our bench was all -. The Bucks bench was all + all the way thru. Our bench sucks.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our bench is 4th best in the NBA in terms of points per minute. Our starters are 26th.

On a plus minus basis for the year, there is no real difference between our starters and bench players. Guys like Jorts are in the plus territory and guys like Drummond are highly negative.

Overall, here is our points scored and points allowed per position per 48 min (starters and bench combined):

Pos: Off/ Def/ Diff
    PG: 20.5/ 21.0/ -0.5
    SG: 19.9/ 19.0/ +0.9
    SF: 18.0/ 21.0/ -3.0
    PF: 21.0/ 21.0/ 0.0
    C: 19.4/ 20.1/ -.07

We are locking teams down relatively at the SG position thanks to Pope. Our biggest problem seems to be lack of offensive production at the SF spot, despite the fact that Josh Smith leads the team in shot attempts.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Stats? How do stats explain this: Stuckey scored readily while we saw Singler go minus 20. Try watching the game, and telling me what you saw. Thanks in advance.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Our bench may be 4th in scoring, but they are still giving up enough points to keep us more than 7 games under .500.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It could have been the fact that for 10 and a half minutes out of his 19, Cheeks had Singler at power forward with Bynum/Stuckey (Jenning)/Pope. And for a lot of that Monroe was the only big out there. As much as I like Singler's game, I'm not crazy enough to think that he's a PF. Small ball is what Cheeks seems to be experimenting with when he runs out of other ideas... which usually happens toward the end of the first quarter.

You're super fixated on Singler's individual +/- numbers when he has a bad game, but you ignore the much more meaningful season aggregate +/-.

I can point out 15 games where Dre was the worst from a +/- perspective. I can also point out that Dre, Stuckey, Jennings, Mitchell, Jerebko, Bynum, Villanueva, Billups, and Siva have worst +/- per minute than Singler (and those are the guys that he's spending the majority of his playing time with).

I have read 42 LeeCaps where you spend a paragraph describing how Singler lost the game of us or made us win by less than we should have. I understand your position and I understand that I'm not going to change it. Amazingly, even when we look at a game on a possession by possession basis, our determination of what happened is off by about 50%.
    Menace, linwood and BillLaimbeer like this.