Away Milwaukee Bucks Thursday Jan 12 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 12, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2012.
  1. Detroit

50.0%
  2. Milwaukee

50.0%
  1. copper

copper Bench Warmer

taped the game and only watched the last 8 minutes. Sounds like GM and BK had good dames, did notice the millwaukee announcers mention BK was pissed at Tay on the posession where Tay screwed around with it and threw up a clunk. I was very glad to hear that. Tay and BG are doing nothing but providing an anchor in a canoe race. Tay doesnt even play good defense so he is a 1 trick pony that doesnt know his trick, and BG is even worse cause has been a 1 trick pony that left his trick in Chicago since we signed him. Cant blame his crap output on Rip anymore. Or Clueless. I would be happy with parking both of em at the CVG end of the bench.

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

high draft picks are having good games, thats all what matters. The rest of the team will be trade baits during their contract expiration years. We have to be patient, top 1-5 picks are coming. Neither firing coaches nor general manager can change this route.

3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The 2010 NBA Draft: Wall, Turner, Favors,W. Johnson,Cousins, Udoh, Monroe.

I was clamoring for the Pistons to lose games back then. They didn't. Luckily, luckily or GM ineptness (pick one) Monroe fell to number 7. I am not sure he wasn't the number one pick that year. For sure, in the top three. As I said in earlier posts, in two years, Monroe will be one of the top big men in the league. Think about current bigs in the league and project Monroe's game out. Think Bosh has game for example. Just wait for Monroe to surpass him and many other top big men.

As bad as things are, as I said in earlier posts, with Monroe, Knight and J.J. there is something to build around. Knight is showing some signs. JJ has been disappointing (he needs coaching badly). When he gets close to the basket, he has no clue. He passes the ball around the perimeter like Tay to no avail.

The rest of the team, except for Macklin (don't know yet) are just players who should be moved out whenever possible.

The Pistons cannot win many games right now as they simply cannot bring the ball up court and execute with guards with no handles or with a rookie (Knight--and let him make mistakes and learn the game). Turnovers are not just happenstance but part of what this team's makeup is about at present.

Right now, this team is bottom 5 but can compete with some of the lesser teams. Not sure it is a good idea to make any moves. One more piece is needed via the draft to cement the building blocks of the rebuild especially if JJ does not get any direction on the court.

4. copper

copper Bench Warmer

The problem with the team is the lack of direction. There is no sign of a plan out there. Alot of the players look lost, and the only thing that has worked is feeding GM and letting him work it or make the pass. Too often the perimeter passes the ball around until 1 of them is stuck in the musical chairs scenario and fires the shot up to beat the shot clock. I am not seeing any plays or sets designed to get anyone open shots or movement or cutting ( JJ was doin it earlier but looks as if he was told to stop) maybe Tay told him he was moving too fast.
    If BK and GM can find a rythm and JJ can keep his motor running high? I like our future but we need a identity, and I dont like the doormat identity they have right now. Because I dont want BK or GM to get used to losing .

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree that JJ has been a slight disappointment of what we were expecting. The way the team played last year you have to wonder what he learned watching them and then what was happening during the practices after his rehab

Playing out of position may be the key, because his foul issues in each of the past 3-4 games are giving additional minutes to Max and we are getting muscle from him, but only a limited number of points and rebounds.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A lot of stuff is already covered in the many reports posted here already. What can I add? How about a horrid start to the game. Our front line of JJ and Monroe simply does not work. Coach stayed away from that duo almost the entire game, but then strangely put it in at the end of the game. It seems like he is learning, but painfully slowly. He also only paired JMAX and Ben for a few minutes in this one.

Gordon could not have any worse looking turns. It looked often like he was just passing the ball to the other team. Sure, I like to see Delfino do well - but not against the Pistons, that steal from Gordon by Delfino was just one of many plays Delfino hurt us with. And Gordon shot horribly too. Defense? I can't tell you exactly who was leaving their shooters completely wide open - but I can tell you Gordon was not often seen closing out on a shooter to stop a shot. Leaving a shooter wide open is one thing. But our team as a whole kept letting them shoot with nobody even pretending to address the guy with the ball lining up the shot, checking the windage, and calmly burying the shot.

Very refreshing to see Stuckey get to the line. Monroe's game was just incredible, scoring in several ways. Posting up, posting up far from the basket and driving on his guy, confidently nailing jumpers all night, making 8-8 at the free throw line, being out front on fast breaks, offensive rebounding and putting it back in. Knight made the night even more special by adding 20 himself on a combination of drives to the hoop and good solid outside shooting. (Caution, Milwaukee is not exactly an elite team defensively - but I will still choose to like what I saw alot.)

Daye did not play. Probably the perfect game though for him to have played in. At shooting guard with Gordon sitting on the bench.

Tay hit a few shots. One rebound? Sounds way too familiar. JJ should be actually useful for the team - as our starting small forward. Tay would make a fine backup to him.

Ben Wallace played some brilliant defense. But we only used him for 11 minutes.

Still don't like Wilkins, but he was out there as some pretty good defense got played. Just way too poor on the offensive end. And there is just no need for him to play. We would be much better off with Macklin getting those minutes, with JJ moved to small forward.

7. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Pretty decent game, despite losing. Was glad to see Stuckey back, because now Will "Gotta Get Mine" Bynum is once again a DNP-CD.

Monster game from Monroe, 32/16/2/2/1. He's been the only constant thing on this team, and I was happy to see him get a lot more touches throughout the game. His passing ability is coming to the fore a bit more as well, finding cutters to the lane quite well. He is without a doubt our best player. Bucks announcers were praising him (and Brandon) all night. Only wish the team could've won this game for him.

Good game from Brandon. He was aggressive early, scoring 11 in the first quarter, going right at Jennings, driving down the lane for a bunch of easy scores inside. Still can't buy a call though. Only got 2 assists, but he got his teammates some wide open looks a bunch of times and they just couldn't convert very often (I'm looking at you, Tay). Hit both his 3s too.

Tayshaun...I just don't know what to make of him right now. He took 17 shots (one more than Greg), hitting only 6. That's a terrible percentage, especially when your big man is having a good night offensively. He holds the ball too long, doesn't make the extra pass, and I hated that one possession (as copper mentioned above) where he refused to pass it to his PG and just screwed around with it before jacking up a brick. Just a bad, selfish play, and I too was glad that Knight called him on it.

JJ had a disappointing game, though it was partly due to foul trouble (again). He's really not a PF, though I don't see who outside of Big Ben (who can't play big minutes anymore) can adequately man that post on this team.

Stuckey's first game back after the groin injury; he was okay. He got to the line real well, but he really needs to finish better when he gets to the rim. Shot 2 of 7, but shot 7 fts (made them all) to make up for it. I like this role for him, just look to score and not have to worry as much about running the offense. He did get his shot blocked once or twice at the end though give Delfino credit, he played him tight and anticipated his moves well.

BG continues to struggle. Only 3 for 14 tonight, you can tell Skiles knows him and knows how to stop him. That's why he's best as a 6th man; put a taller, bigger defender on him and he'll struggle. This, incidentally, is what the Pistons did to him during the playoffs a few years ago.

Much better effort all around, despite not being enough for a win. We'll get 'em next time.

8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

it's really funny to see how every team seems to have a big men who has big games against DET just to disappear afterwards; next on the list - Leuer

9. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ben Gordon was simply horrible in this one. The Jekyll and Hyde act continues. His shots rarely come in the offensive flow - forced too much. The box score only showed 3 turnovers but it felt like 8. Delfino gave him fits on defense.

We aren't going to win many games if Tay ends up with the most shots, let alone 17 of them. It's interesting to hear other team's announcers still crediting him as a great defender. He hasn't been a great defender for about 6 years now. The Bucks commentators are pretty knowledgeable but even they've been duped.

Very impressive game by Monroe. He looked supremely confident out there and took Bogut to school a number of times who is one of the better defenders in the league. That said, Bogut's strength is post and help D. Monroe took him outside the paint and preyed on his weakest facet. Against the bigger defenders in the league, Monroe should cut them up with his quickness. He's mixing it up with those jump shots too. His stroke looks a lot nicer, especially at the line where he was 8-8. He made some nice passes too.

Knight reminds me a little of Jennings in his rookie season. Hopefully he can become just as good.

We let Milwaukee have way too many open 3's and way too many uncontested layups, mostly on blown coverage. Frank needs to do more in this area, and secondly yank guys who aren't giving 100% effort or consistently screwing up. It's not good enough.

To end on a positive note, I looked up the other Pistons who have had at least 32 and 16 in a game. There are two, who have both done it twice. Monroe is in elite company.

Grant Hill: 35 & 18, and 33 & 16
    Dennis Rodman: 34 & 23, and 32 & 21

I was surprised to see Rodman there twice. Click here for the full stats.

Interesting stat of the night - both teams combined for 41-41 free throws. That's pretty amazing when you think about it. This occurring on the same night where hack-a-Howard was in effect, breaking the record with 39 attempts.

10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Feed the Moose! Just the beginning for the young fella. With this roster, he should touch the ball nearly every time down the floor. Gotta start working in more high-post action, with more player movement off the ball.

Solid game from Knight, though that Assist to Turnover ratio is scary for a PG. For reference, he's ranked 246th in the league. The amount of improvement he needs in that area is staggering. Still, I like that he's knocking down shots and playing mega-minutes.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is where my criticism of Knight and his assist #'s comes from even though he is more a symptom than the illness. The Pistons are stacked with allegedly versatile players who do very little well.

I am hoping that Knight cab buck the trend of passing the ball to nowhere and start out the game by saying that he's going to get Gordon (probably a lost cause at this point) 2-3 sweet spot shots early and make sure Monroe is also involved early so the Pistons are functioning.

Game Notes:
    The Pistons played well and were still down 16-18 points multiple times.

I love Steve Jackson. I feel like I say this about a player every game but it is never a Piston.

Greg Monroe: Take that Cousins! I love seeing the 12 defensive boards.

Ben Gordon = Wow! Why he comes out at the start looking to pass is beyond me.

Special K noted how Knight (Is it too early to call him AI?) slowed down at the start of the game and it helped him.

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

We might have won this game if not for the efforts of Tayshaun. The young guys had it going and Tay came in and hogged the ball and slowed down the momentum like a vet. It's almost like he is being told to go in and mess things up.

13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have also noticed this the last 2 games. Gordon catches the ball wide open, he pump fakes, takes a dribble or two, and then kicks it to someone else on the perimeter. If you don't shoot the open shot, BG, you might as well sit on the bench.

15. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

When your starting SG & SF combined for 9/31 shooting, you are in BIG TROUBLE esp both of them are consider our 1st option on offense. Tay should look in the mirror when he's complaining that he expected progress. He can't make wide open 18 footer jump shots. Most SF in the league do make them consistently.

Big Ben should be starting with GM, not JJ. Let Big Ben play the first 5 min of the game, to set the tone defensively. Then sub him. Is there a rule where a starter has to play beyond 7 minutes to start a game???

16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Ben AND JJ should be starting (JJ at SF).

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Sounds like a good name for a company "Ben and JJs"

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

It serves free chili every night.

linwood likes this.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Six losses in a row....8 of the 9 losses by 10 points or more....isn't preseason over now? What has this team learned?

I never participate in the rotation discussion, but time for another line-up shake up>>>>how about starting GM, Big Ben (PF), JJ (SF), Knight and Stuckey..................with Gordon, Tay, Max, Daye coming in to spell them as a second unit. CV is not going anywhere unless he is showcased, so eventually much to the chagrin most here, he will be inserted somewhere in this line up. The season is not over yet, but since we all agree that the vets are going through the motions, may as well put in someone hungry like Macklin so he can show us what he can do.

JJ has to play more than 25 mins a game and it seems that in the last 3-4 games he gets 2 fouls in the first qtr, and we lose something in that second w/o his energy.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Don't rock the boat with lineup shakeups unless it is for the purpose of getting worse.

There is no point in winning now. We are in a tight race for lottery combinations. Thankfully the shortened season makes the tanking less humiliating due to limited number of games that our guys have to embarrass themselves.