Home Milwaukee Bucks Sunday Dec 30 2012

Discussion in 'December 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You know how to bite your tongue? :pound:

roscoe36 and coynejeremy like this.
  2. max

max All-Star

unfortunately I am starting to agree with that. And scoring in 2 out of the last 3 drafts is not too bad. Dumars really needs to learn when to cut his losses and Knight may be one of them.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

At PG. His 3 point shooting could make him a starter on a couple teams in the L.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Not on any good ones. He's a good kid, he has some skills, but he just doesn't have a feel for the PG position, nor does he have the size and scoring instinct to play SG. Carlos Arroyo and Luke Ridnour are upgrades over Knight IMO.

5. roscoe36

LUKE RIDNOUR?

[​IMG]

brofmfa and coynejeremy like this.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Did they?

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He just doesn't have a feel for basketball it seems.

8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I agree that Knight is not an instant success. More troubling, is that his skill set is very uneven. He seems at his best when he receives a pass and hoists up a shot. He gets into the lane and can finish now and again but more often he gets nothing out of it. And, the result of his drives do not seem to be a set up a pass down low or kick out for others. His ball handling skills are poor--this worries me the most. He often drives into turnover situations. He doesn't make a lot of steals on the defensive end. I have seen him rebound some. And in his behalf, he plays on a unit without a lot of shooters.

A likely scenario is that he improves his shot as young players do and improves the efficiency on his drives. Yes, he would have a place in the NBA. But the greater question is how likely will he pan out as the Piston point guard in a Piston revival? I don't know but the gamble of waiting to find out is too risky for this organization especially with the coming of Drummond.

Drummond and Monroe are important pieces and the next draft or free agency can bring in a point guard. That way the team's forward movement will not revolve around Knight who is only the third most important player on the roster at present.

My big concern is that Monroe's game also has not moved forward as much as I anticipated and that his present skill set does not seem that conducive to playing with Drummond. I would like to see Monroe get a reliable jump shot so that his offensive game is not always a drive to the hoop. Drummond will need some space down low and Monroe is a very valuable young player. I often wonder who is coaching the Piston youth. Andrew Bynum came into the league with no game but the Lakers coached him.

9. roscoe36

If we draft/acquire a point, we can move Brandon to the 2, and Stuckey can be our 3rd guard.

I don't think Singler is cemented at the 2 by any means.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Once upon a time:

Damon Jones at point. Jon Barry at shooting guard. Corliss Williamson at small forward. Cliff Robinson at power forward. Zelly Rebracca at center. The best bench in the league. And it often rocked against the other team's starters.

Now, you can cut each of these players to pieces - save one. Zelly, at his best for us, was an excellent defender, the best ever we have had for boxing out, an excellent post up guy. Pretty much the ideal center. But Cliff, could not rebound. Barry, could not guard. Jones, really not a point guard. Corliss, no outside shot to speak of really, and way too slow on defense for a small forward. But the unit worked. Between the five, they possessed a lot of skills. Barry and Jones spread the floor for one, and also were adept at feeding the post - specifically, acting as a team of guards to find the entry pass at just the right time. Corliss slaughtered the opposing small forward with his post up game. Cliff added a third long ranger, and set picks good as gold and common as rain drops - and was the best post defender - outside Rebracca, that has come our way. (And no, forget it, Ben Wallace was nowhere near as good as Cliff at guarding top centers and power forwards in this league down in the post. Yes, Sheed was pretty good too.)

Compare to what we got now for our bench. A couple of fine outside shooters, one of whom really can't defend much. Point guards who are not really point guards. Both units had an outstanding defender at center. When we add Singler, both units had 3 long range shooters. Our current center can't shoot the ball from the outside. But both guards can shoot a little so maybe, just maybe, they had not quite as good outside shooting back in 2001-2002. Both units used one starter. (Cliff, Singler) Damon Jones tried his utmost on defense, had some height to add a little to our interior D, but could not stop a drive ever. Really, just 2 good defenders in the 2001-2002 group. (Cliff, Zelly) Current group - just one poor defender really in CV. Hmm, just maybe this bench is better than the 2001 - 2002 bench. Hard to believe. I don't believe it for a second. Why - Corliss and Zelly were both extremely skilled in the post. The ability of the duo of Jones and Barry to feed the post was absolute tops.

Analyzing things a bit. That is not the point though. The point is - what works, works. You do not have to be the prototypical anything. Just have skills that mesh with the guys you are playing on the floor with.

max, linwood, brofmfa and 2 others like this.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I was thinking about the Alternatorz earlier today and was trying to make the comparison, GREAT JOB LEE! But I was also trying to think about that starting unit that won 50 games. Chucky Atkins, Jerry Stackhouse, Michael Curry, Ben Wallace and Cliff Robinson. THAT Going to Work team won 50 games. All we need is a Jerry Stackhouse on this team and we're in position to compete again.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's probably an asset that Joe is targeting.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You know, we have a guy, in Middleton, who just might be our new Jerry Stackhouse. If only the coach would play him so we can see. As for that team we had, the next year we added in Billups, Tay, and Hamilton - but still only won 50 games. Curry had become pretty much a statue by that point, but he continued to start at small forward over Tay - who a lot of fans on this type of board slammed all kinds of ways - even though really they had not seen him play all that much. Compare that situation to today. We fans mostly want Drummond to take over for JMAX. But JMAX is still in his prime, defends the pick and roll well, is making his shots, and gets offensive rebounds even though his defensive rebounding is poor. Not a zero, zero, zero like Curry so often was if not close. Still, the reluctance to put in the clearly better player, Drummond, just because he is a rookie, does parallel what happed with Tay / Curry. To Frank's credit - he has already put in Singler, a rookie, to replace Stuckey in the starting unit, even though he makes the mistake of recreating that horrid starting unit with no shooting guard seemingly whenever he can.

To me, there is another similar situation. Tay. Tay is now getting older, and we have several younger options. Tay is no statue of course. But he may do us a whole lot better with reduced minutes off the bench. English and Middleton could get more minutes. Even JJ could get a shot at some small forward minutes. And also related to that, Singler is being asked to be both the starting shooting guard and backup small forward these dayes. Daye playing reduces that some, but adding Middleton, English, or JJ would maybe help Singler out a bit by letting him play in only one state - rested.

Lets pretend its two years from now. Tay and JMAX have decided to retire. We find ourselves deep in the playoffs. We start Knight, Middleton, Daye, Monroe, Drummond. These guys play heavy minutes, so our bench is not a great factor. We lose in the East finals, partially because our starters are just on their first half season as a unit. Hey, I say if that is the unit that will be in the East finals in two years, lets find out now, and if they really do show that kind of potential, give them a couple years practice. Two, three years from now, that could spell 'Ship.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Lee, Kris Middleton may have a role on this team, but can we PLEASE NOT PRETEND that we have a guy on our bench, who was a 2nd round pick, that can compete for the league's scoring title like Stack did.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Why - because you have not seen him play? I only ask that he plays so we can see how good he is on that outside shot. I have already seen him enough to know he can slash to the basket plenty well. The alternative? Keep pairing up Stuckey and Knight at every opportunity. Now, how is that going to get us anywhere?

16. roscoe36

I am laughing and I haven't even resumed drinking yet.

round likes this.
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

It one of those times you have a post to make, shake your head and just know it would be pointless to even try...

18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not betting against Khris Middleton. That dude can flat out ball.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Second highest PER (19.2) on the team....

linwood likes this.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I believe he is our 2nd best defender, behind only Drummond. That is why I want him to play the most. I hear a lot about his offensive skills. Sure would like to see them displayed out on the floor.