Away Milwaukee Bucks Monday Jan 30 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 26, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2012.
  1. Detroit

60.0%
  2. Milwaukee

40.0%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

8:00 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Two observations from this terrible game:

1- Austin Daye is the most talented dumb player I've ever seen.
    2- Vernon Macklin is the best defensive big we have.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

2 starters with 0 points is never good.

We had an eFG% of .391. We missed 51 shots.
    They had an eFG% of .586. They missed 34 shots.

We had 17 offensive rebounds to their 7, so that helped limit the damage. Total rebounds were a wash, which favored us do to the imbalance in off/ def chances. Turnovers were a wash. Assists were a wash. If Flip Saunders were to analyze this, he may conclude that Milwauke "made shots". http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=320130015 They made 9 threes to our 1 and they hit from all around the court. On the highlight of Delfino's dunk, you can see that Monroe is in decent position to challenge it, but he decides not to.

Stuckey was only -1 on the night and he was a big reason why with 19 points (7-7 from the line), 6 assists, and 2 steals in only 25 minutes. The team thrived tonight when he was on the court without Knight.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was surprised when Knight came back into the game during garbage time and had no points....and only 2 assists. He was like the invisible man tonight. Then again it was if they were all invisible as this game as someone said in the chat room was over at tip off. Once again at the start of the game, the start of 3rd and the start of the 4th, the Bucs were ready to play and the Pistons were still trying to tie their shoe laces.

Monroe and Vernon Macklin were the only Pistons to shoot 50% or better from the floor and Macklin who played the last 6 mins of the game had more points than Knight, Big Ben, or Max and tied Wilkens with 4, despite Daye hogging the ball in garbage time....

Should this offense which just barely exceeded their 81 ppg average, sit Tay to see if it can score more??? They average 99.5 when he missed two games sitting at home catching up on re-runs of Family Matters.
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Rookie.

I think in a few years we will know whether Brandon is the clutch-shooting, shades-of-zeke point guard we dreamed of, or whether he washes out with the rest that show flashes but don't ever reach the next level. Hard to call at this point.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

6 assists from the new guy! He isn't a scorer, but his 5.2 assists per 36 minutes leads the team and so does his a/to ratio (barely ahead of Stuckey in both).

He's gotta be proud of that since he is very fortunate to be on the floor during NBA games at all, much less leading the team in something.
    In scoring, he is only ahead of Ben Wallace in points per minute, and that isn't saying much. His .174 shooting percentage is beyond horrific (4 for 23 shooting on the year).

Walker Russell also happens to be leading the Pistons in steals per minute.

You don't have to score a lot if you're a true point guard, but you do have to shoot better than an old center with a wrist that pops out of joint to stay in the league I would imagine.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A contrast in efficiency:

Tonight, the Pistons took 83 shots and scored 65 points from the floor.

The Clippers took 80 shots and scored 103 points from the floor.
    The Mavs took 87 shots to score 110 from the floor.

So, they were about 40 points better on a shot for shot basis purely through increased accuracy.

We're not the worst though- the Magic took 78 shots to score 59 points.

Howard's 17 points, 11 rebounds, and 2 blocks didn't do much for them. Only 5 of the 17 FG's made by their starters were assisted.

Vern Macklin's ppg average has surpassed Ben Wallace's, even though VM only averages 4.5 minutes per game. VMack's win shares per 48 are #1 on the team. His defensive rating is the same as Ben's, but his offensive rating is 43 points higher per 100 possessions. Leads the team in eFG. 2nd in PER behind Monroe. It's either a small sample size or... well it's probably exactly that.

Btw he's 25 years old? The same age as Stuckey? Only 1 year younger than Darko, who is in his 9th season?
    max likes this.
  8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I think it'd be worth a shot at least, doubt Tay would go for it though. It's his team after all, he simply must be there to bog down his team's offense with endless isotayshauns! :lol:

On a more serious note, I only caught half the game, but what I saw was a team that looked like they still felt the effects of the Atlanta game, especially Knight. In the first quarter, everyone but Greg was settling for jumpers, even Stuckey, whose entire game has been heavily reliant on getting inside. He looked better in the second quarter, driving in more and getting to the line. The offense still looked sluggish though, no matter who was running it. This team and the one that played against Miami and Atlanta are night and day. Subtraction by addition? Maybe, maybe not, all I know is Tay looked like the odd man out, the odd man everyone defers to.

Re Brandon - his shot has been a bit off the last 2-3 games, but he's usually more active than he has been against Philly and Milwaukee. Rookie wall maybe? He was driving inside and was a lot more aggressive the last time we played Milwaukee, and that was with Bogut guarding the inside for them. Dude just looked a step slow and was surprisingly unaggressive all night. Most nondescript game I've ever seen him play - also his only zero point outing on the year. Saw that he came in for JJ with 40 seconds left - not sure what Frank wanted him to do there.

Know why I think Austin Daye is a bad defender? Lead feet. I noticed that during the game whenever he would dribble. He just looked slow, and the defender was almost always able to recover to him even after getting screened off. He's like a taller, more awkward version of Tayshaun - holds the ball just that second too long, will do a tay fake that fools no one, and takes forever to decide to pass/shoot. This guy has the potential to be a chucker of Beasley proportions. Fancy passer though. He looks like he tries on D as I'm sure he knows it's what'll keep him on the floor when his shot's off, but he's just not good at it.

Also - lol at the sheer stupidity of having Greg (your leading scorer big man who was having a good game) make entry passes to IsoTay to post up player number 100000000 and miss his takes forever to launch hook shot.

On to NY - for the Ping Pong Balls!
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

V Mack is going to get released if he keeps dunking in the games. Not so young, young fella, that is not Piston basketball!

I'd like to see him play more just to get some size on the court if he goes w/ Monroe. Like Bill L said, what's the worse that can happen?

I am to the point where I get angry just watching Austin Daye run up the floor. I think they should let his life coach onto the floor with him like a plankton fish.

I am very impressed with the leap Stuckey's game has taken this year.

If the Pistons are still feeling the effects of the ATL game then they should just fold the team.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Walker Russell Jr. was averaging 16.0 ppg (41% FG) with the Mad Ants before he got called up. I think he can score, but has no confidence in his shot right now. He also averaged 9.9 assists and 1.9 steals per game and shot 88% FT with Fort Wayne. At age 29, though, he is probably not more than a roster-filler (ala Will Bynum) at this point in his career.
    max likes this.
  11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

3rd game in 4 nights? That is it. Mystery solved.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Bucks game was game #1 of a 3-day back-to-back-to-back stretch of road games. Last time that happened? Ask Woody.
  13. LA Dre

Getting ahead of myself, but so far of the teams that have already played their back to back to back games, none of them have lost all three games.

This includes the cellar dwellers like Charlotte, Washington, Toronto and New Orleans who all have multiple game losing streaks beyond three games like our Pistons. The Bobcats avoided the b-b-b trio loss, by winning game three of the b-b-b and the Raptors won game 2 of their three game set.

Will the Pistons be the first to lose all three, or do we get a Carmeloless Knick team tonight that provides a victory for the Pistons..and avoids the pressure of trying to hard to win tomorrow in NJ?
    max likes this.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

This is a good opportunity for us.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good to know. It's understandable that he would try to make an impression passing first. His shot form doesn't look terrible, but not good either. He's one of those short guys with a ton of legs in his shots. Tough to be consistent.
  16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Also, watching Monroe in these last few games should lay to rest all the "this guy's not athletic" talk. The dude can move! He beats everyone to the rim in fast breaks and he's very quick around the basket, whether it's his drives or his cuts. He doesn't play above the rim for sure, but he's not slow.

The Pistons need to just complete their execution. They keep running these plays, passing the ball around to get a guy open and that guy just pump fakes and restarts the play all over again. Whether it be Russell, Daye, JJ, etc etc. Everybody on this team needs to grow a pair and take the friggin shot.

I want to see Macklin get more minutes. Yeah, he's only played in GT so far, but he's making the right defensive moves. Add to that his size, he'll be an upgrade over both Maxiell and Wallace. I would love to see what a Macklin-Monroe frontcourt can do. He's not the ultimate solution, but he's better than anybody else we have at the 4.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree, Monroe is athletic. He just doesn't have hops.

I've notice how often he faces up in the post. You don't do that unless you are quick. And his best quality is probably his soft touch on the glass. He wouldn't be nearly as good if he had the non-dunking finishing ability of the average center.

His free throw touch is actually pretty good too, so there is hope for development on his range.

It's pretty cool that he has defined himself clearly as the best player on the team... and we drafted him! When was the last time that happened- Isiah?
  18. LA Dre

I am almost certain someone on this forum wrote this article: http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bdHvM?utm_source=&utm_medium=newsletter\\