Milwaukee Bucks Feb. 17th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'February 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i didn't watch the game except for bits and pieces here and there. i called (and then witnessed) sheed hoist terrible threes toward the end of the game as usual, rip jumpshoot when he had an open lane to the basket, and us down by 3 with 40 seconds to go and not getting a shot off until there were 24 seconds left. just awful.

sheed is doing whatever the hell he wants out there. AI is killing stuckey's aggressiveness and hogging the ball. stuckey is really struggling. curry is in full-fledged panic mode ... he's trying to flip-saunders the regular season team by starting dice and going to zone...might as well put rip back in the starting lineup too...i mean that team essentially won 59 games last year (if you can count chauncey and stuckey as equals which obviously they aren't).

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Curry is an idiot. Sure to the casual internet fan it may seem that Dyess produced more in this game than Amir has all season, but the stats are biased against an athlete as gifted as AJ and do not tell the full story.

I don't even know what good basketball from this team looks like anymore.

I don't get the drama of the respect thing. It is up there with flipping the switch for me. What hurt DET to me was the lack of 3 ball shooting not that they aren't or weren't playing hard.

I don't think I've seen one of the 15 Piston guards go straight down the middle of the lane for a lay-up once this season, but opposing guards must do it at least 5 times a game.

Watching the replay of Sheed's block on Jefferson bummed me out because it reminded me of having X2 back there.

Fear the zone!

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First thing first. Curry has to be fired. No doubt. It might as well be now, he shows no signs of learning. Anything. Not a thing.

So now he is going to start Dyess the last 37 games. Quite a change from 20, heh? The Sheed / Dyess pairing, minus 7 for the game. Dyess had a great game indeed, leading us in scoring and rebounding, an impressive double double. But he is not a power forward, and neither is Sheed. Playing them together is simply playing without a power forward. It won't work, and now Curry has institutionalized this madness.

So here we are on a major run, started the moment Amir came into the game - giving us a power forward paired with a center. And with about 6 minutes left, we got the lead down to 1 point. (which means we cut 12 points off the lead) At that point, JMAX and Dyess were out there. The whole run was with a center (Sheed to start, then Dyess) and a power forward (Amir, then JMAX) in the game. We were doing pretty darn good.

But we have a clueless coach. So no way we were going to win the game. How does Curry award good play by Amir and JMAX? He pairs up Sheed and Dyess - who ended up playing over 40 minutes, to finish the game. Not because they did any good in the game, and seldom have ever done good in any game this year - but only because Curry does not understand basketball. You got to have a power forward in the game.

They have a new smear campaign out against Amir starting, stating that we were not getting out to good starts with Amir as a starter. Really? Come on. The fans that take time to read these boards surely at least know the truth. 4th quarter collapses, with Sheed and Dyess paired - or in one case, going to small ball. It ain't been the start of the games. Its been the end of the games. Specifically, after they have pulled both Amir and JMAX out of the games so that the old folks committee can lose the game for us.

By the way, shame on the announcers for supporting the hogwash. I know they are given their orders, but shame on them anyway. Goodhearted people they are, but shame shame shame.

Here is what is going on. The Pistons have a great roster. But a coach who is clueless. We did not beat teams like the Lakers, Cleveland, SA, etc this season because we are a team of scrubs. We have the talent. But we have a coach who actually thinks his worst pairing of bigs is his best. He has to go, no doubt.

Rip started out a bit slow, but ended up with a fine scoring game. Tay had a bunch of assists. Sheed did ok scoring except he was 0-5 shooting threes. AI had a lot of assists, barely made double digit scoring.

Afflalo played some good D, and even scored a bit. Bynum got into the game for a couple of minutes. Stuckey scored all of 3 points and got one assist while fouling out.

Amir and JMAX (who played very little actually) just did their jobs as power forwards, little more. But guess what - the job of a power forward is essential - speed combined with some size. Making the defensive rotationw when needed and getting over to cover the basket when needed - even against bigger opponents.

Kwame did not play. I can't imagine Curry ever playing him since he thinks the old man, Dyess, needs 40 minutes a night.

Dyess did a good job on scoring, both hitting his jumpers and scoring inside plenty. Again, I can't stress enough, both Sheed and Dyess are fine players - but as a combo, they are pretty rancid. Someone get the message to Curry.

Oh well, after several straight more losses, and us falling out of the playoffs, I suppose Curry will finally get fired. But really, it would save a lot of trouble if Dumars just took the team over today while we are still in the playoff picture.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree that the pairing of dice and Sheed is a mistake....in fact keeping Sheed is mistake as we would have been better off trading him for a younger center instead of CB for an older SG..

The Pistons fell down 12 or so in the first qtr with the Sheed/Dyess combo out there and no one in the Pistons org noticed why this occurred but Pistons minority stockholder Lee.

The Pistons will probably be 27-27 after Sundays game with probably a losing 14-15 record at the Palace. That in itself is grounds for termination in my HR Manual

Fire the coach after Sundays loss to the Cavs and maybe the the players start actually playing and caring.... Steve Kerr took Terry Porter's belongings to his house on Sunday night and told him what everyone in Phoenix already knew...that he could not comeback to work there.

The Suns beat the Clippers tonight 140-100...talking about a player wake up call!! The led by 49 points with 90 seconds left. The Suns scored 81 points in the first half. The Pistons scored 86 points in a full game. Where is Alvin Gentry when you need him. Oh by the way, Alex Acker scored 10 points off the bench for the Clipps.

5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons are in re-building mode--per Joe Dumars.

Why does the team have trouble with offensive runs? Because of a young point guard Stuckey (turnovers) and another poor ball handler, AI. Who are the secondary ball handlers? Rip and Tay who are also turnover prone in the pinch. Hard to sustain a run with this tandem of ball handlers.

Tay should be used as a spot up shooter--that which he is very good at. He can handle the ball on the break but should spend his time the way Sheed does floating for a three.

When do the Pistons actually win games lately? When Sheed or Dyss play big and we get something out of one of the young bigs added to that. And when the turnovers are also at a minimum.

Starting 34 year old Dyss and Joe's statement about trading only for an "impact" big gives you an idea what management (including Joe) thinks about this roster. Joe will use the cap space and everyone short of Stuckey and maybe Rip will be on the block. Not sure about Tay.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Both teams played hard. Milwaukee made more free throws.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

PISTONS: Postgame Quotes - February 17, 2009

8. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I want to hear from someone other than curry and iverson.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Curry is starting to sound like Rod Marinelli, the man who once said that when you are in a hole, keep digging until you see light.

Unfortunately for Coach Marinate, he got fired before he tunneled his way escape route from Ford Field to Australia.

lol

Now he is tinkering with where the shootarounds are. We have ONE new player, and he is moving shootarounds?

If the team is coming out flat, maybe they should have Sheed wrestle an ostrich during warmups. I mean, tinker away but make it entertaining!

10. max

max All-Star

I am glad someone else is starting to notice that. Sure Sheed has always taken a lot of 3's in crunch time but not at this regularity. Gotten to the point where most of our close games depend on Sheed making that 3 because he is going to take it if he gets the ball. If he makes them we win and if he doesn't then thats a couple of possetions thrown away. Do you want to bank on a 30% shot to win? Poor odds to me.

Another good point on AI stiffling Stucky.

Ah, at this point I don't know whats going to turn it around barring a trade or bringing in a new coach. And not just an assistant - bring someone new in that knows what they are doing.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems like the Bucks had an alstar break too and should have come out flat too.
    But they played great in the first half.

Rodney Stuckey must have had to much fun in Phoenix as he looked horrible out there tonight.

What did he mean about the 9 losses since New years?? I count 14 since new years..maybe the interviewer should have told him how bad we really are instead of sugar coating it??:confused:

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It was more fun doing the Flip translator. With MC, all you have to do it take out all the fluff and filler to get right down to his true message. It actually makes a lot of sense when you stare at it for a long time.

Pistons Head Coach Michael Curry
    (On starting slowly) “Once again, we started poorly. We didn’t rebound well and we missed a lot of easy shots. We didn’t play with the level of intensity that we need to, especially in that first quarter. We picked it up in the second and some in the third. In the second half of the third quarter and the fourth; we played how we needed to play. We played with a sense of urgency and in attack mode.”

Summary: We started out bad, didn't get ball, missed shots. Then got good.

(On playing after the All-Star break) “A lot of times you start out sluggishly at the end of breaks or time off, so I figured we would be. Sluggish comes with missed shots and things like that but I wasn’t pleased with the intensity from the beginning of the game. Whether we’re sluggish or not, we can play hard, make mistakes and miss shots - whatever it may be - but play harder.

Summary: I knew we'd be lazy. We missed shots. We need to play hard and either miss shots or make shots.

(On finishing out the season) “We just need to take it one game at a time. As I have said all year, it doesn’t matter to us when we play teams with the winning or losing records. It is the nights we play really good basketball - we compete against anyone and have the chance to win. And the nights we don’t play good basketball, we are going to lose games, especially if we can’t play for 48 minutes. We need to rebound and start the games better, and we need to find a way to get Rodney Stuckey more involved.”

Summary: Take it one game at a time. Don't plan for other team, only focus on playing good. If we don't play good, we lose. Need to start good and have our starting PG join us.

(On what’s caused them to lose nine games since New Years) “It is a little different team. We have some new guys that are key for us and we look forward for them to play well; especially here in this building. We moved our shootarounds over here to get guys more familiar with this building as well. We just aren’t playing good basketball. We need to keep getting better, keep working, and do a better job starting.”

Summary: We lost a 3-time all star for a hall of fame bound legend... and changed coaches. Let's not talk about that anymore. Something about a building. We aren't playing good. We need to get good and start out good.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I know it doesn't matter at all at this point, but did that clock management bug anyone at all tonight?

We have the ball with 47 seconds left in the game, down 3 points.

Why wouldn't the coach instruct the team to get off a shot before the game clock reaches 24 seconds? That way if you miss, you don't have to immediately foul and kill any hope that you had of possibly winning the game. We keep running into this situation and we keep botching it.

Stuckey took a jump shot with 25 seconds left on the clock and Milwaukee grabbed the rebound with 24 seconds left. Game over. Stupid strategy.

14. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Ugly game. Dice was the only guy who played well (though he and Sheed are still a TERRIBLE combo defensively). Why did Sheed come in at the end of the game again?

Rodney is the only PG in the league that isn't a part of his team's offense. Ever since Rip went to the bench it seems MC runs plays for Iverson/Prince/Sheed to isolate for the first 6 minutes, then Rip comes in and he's the only guy that touches the ball. Not because he's being selfish necessarily, but because he's getting "Pitty touches" every time down the floor. Tonight Rodney had 6 shots total and 3 of them were last second hoists after guys passed him the ball with the clock almost at 0.

It's nice and all that Iverson is more comfortable, but between him and Rip dominating the rock, it's killing our offense.

PS. We need shooters. I'm sick of seeing Rodney or Iverson kick to Tay at the 3-point line with some space just to pump fake, and then stall with the ball for 10 seconds. Or better yet see Rip hoist a curve ball that ends up in the stands. Or maybe even Rasheed fade away from 30 feet out with 20 seconds on the clock.

Brutal

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Great post.

Yup
    I'm not a huge Stuckey fan, but i have to agree with you here. There's no balance between him running the offense and getting shots. More problematic is he's not even getting the chance to really run the offense lately.

16. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

There was no need to bring sheed back at that point. The zone was working, max and dyess playing well. That is why we need a coach. Curry has no feel for the team or the game. I do not know why Joe thought he would be a good coach. Leave Max in at that point, you brought back sheed who looked too anxious and forced up threes.

17. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

We're hitting closer to it!!! :nailbiting:

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Time for Roscoe36 to change his avatar. When Joe sees this, then he'll know it's ok to unload SHEED.

19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

This isn't a good idea.
    ...It's a GREAT idea!

I was screaming "run something" at my TV during this sequence.
    My wife thinks I'm an idiot.

20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

So many ways to go with that.... but I'll just say don't all our wives think that?