U of M Michigan Football 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Nemo, Feb 17, 2013.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Chalk one up for RichRod
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Flying pigs sighted.
    Nemo and detteam like this.
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I think Hoke is here for a while. He's hard not to like. Team is hard to watch now, but I think he is the right guy for the job. UM has never gone after a cut-throat, win-at-any-cost coach (Urban Meyer, Nick Saban) because I don't think the athletic department and school wants to become known as a football factory. I rarely have ever heard a UM coach talk about winning national championships. It's always about the conference season and going to a good bowl game. I think it's kind of refreshing. It should be about graduating young men and using sport to teach life lessons, not dolla bills. I think UM's administration has generally understood this.
    Nemo likes this.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That sucked. I kept getting confused which team I was rooting for/ against. Damn that took a lot of the luster off the Spartan victory. Now it looks like holding M to negative yards is no big deal. That is really a bad team. They got away with that stuff with Akron and U Conn but not in the Big Ten.
    detteam likes this.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With the lack of offense today, it reminded me of when Bo was patrolling the sidelines.
    Nemo likes this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

They're not a bad team...just a .500 team.
    Oh yea...that's bad for a MICHIGAN team........
  7. Nemo

Hoke acquired a team with 8 offensive linemen on scholarship. The normal number is 14-15.
    Michigan now has 15 offensive linemen and 13 of them are freshmen or sophomores.
    These guys aren't able to react to the stunts and switches that opposing coaches are throwing at them.
    The AD understands this as he attends 2 practices per week.
    He also watches game film with the Coordinators each week.
    Hoke is Brandon's guy.
    basketbills likes this.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As Ggazoo says, I too think Hoke will be around a couple more years unless they lose 8 to 10 games next year.and the alumni force the issue. Most knew that when they struggled against the those early season pansies, that the big 10 conference games would be tough, but the wind probably busted their sails after that multiple OT Penn State loss that they could have and should have won three times. The problem is if they lose their final five what will recruiting be like in January? I read that they already made promises that they couldn't keep and some of the frosh are ready to jump ship.
  9. Darth Tater

Very well. They're a BAD .500 team. I thought they did well against Notre Lame and Minnesota ( whom they always seem to kill no matter what) but the rest of the wins and losses were ugly.

They put up with Rich Rod for a long time. Hoke will return at least one more year.

Looks like Gazoo was right. If that's all you "see" you need new glasses! You missed twice nemo. Michigan didn't ONLY lose to Northwestern AND Northwestern sucks. Given your history of calling Michigan games correctly, I think we can expect a victory over Northwestern.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Great 4th down call by nebraska when a fg would have tied the game.
  11. Darth Tater

I think if that Hail Mary would've fallen differently last week they lose this one also.
  12. LA Dre

Even if the Wolverines had been moving the ball, they would have stayed conservative and went for the FG tie. They would never have the guts to try it. Especially since they had already been stuffed on 4th and 2 earlier in the game.
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Reading comments on mgoblog it sounds like alumni are already frustrated with the coaching staff.

The Snowflake Thread: Coaching | mgoblog
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

It doesn't take long for the alums to start complaining, does it? MSU alums are all smiling somewhere.
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

Mary Sue Coleman sounds completely wasted yesterday

16. detteam

detteam All-Star

17. Nemo

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

She sounds like Sara Paylin
  19. LA Dre

A classic no offense struggle as neither team could sustain a real drive and NW led 6-3 at the half. Michigan scored their FG on their first possession of the game and did not score again until the beginning of the 4th where a FG brought them closer but they were will trailing 9-6.

Hoke trying to throw away the conservatism went for it on 4th and 2 with less than 5 minutes in the game and they failed.....Michigan had an opportunity to tie the game and let it get away from them.

The M defense held and Michigan marched down the field and on a miraculous, lucky, unbelievable play, the Wolverines kicked a tying FG beating the clock by milliseconds....The Wolves finally prevailed in the third OT winning 27-19.

So after scoring 6 points in the first 59 mins and 59 seconds, they scored 21 in the 3 OTs plus the last half second.
  20. LA Dre

Did anyone see the "Tiebreaker" doc on Big10 Network. It chronicles the 10-10 game that MSU and Michigan played in 1973...and anyone alive then, that followed college football knows that the Wolverines got hosed in the Big 10 AD vote that sent The OSU to the Rose Bowl and the disappointed Wolverines stayed home.

At least 5 of the Big10 AD's had either attended or coached at Michigan, and all the Wolverines needed was 5 votes to go to the Rose Bowl. Per the doc, it was former Michigan player and now MSU AD Burt Smith who either voted for OSU or his own University (Michigan State) preventing Michigan from representing the Big 10 and denying playing in any bowl game despite an undefeated record and per my memory and everyone else's memory indicating that Michigan out played Ohio State that day in 1973. I was freshman down the road at EMU and we watched and followed the Wolverines as if we attended U-M.

The conspiracy was that Smith thought because of the shoulder injury to M QB Dennis Franklin, the Buckeyes were better served to represent the big 10 who had lost the Rose Bowl the last 4 years. So now you know why some animosity still remains between the two schools.

Dennis Franklin, Archie Griffith, and other Wolverines and Buckeyes are interviewed and discuss the game over dinner.

Great show that will be repeated tonight at 8:30 PST and 11:30 PM EST.....look for it tomorrow night at 8PM pacific and 11PM eastern...