Miami October 8 7:30PM - PreSeason

Discussion in 'October 2007' started by max, Aug 25, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

NBA.com: Heat at Pistons Boxscore

Pistons won 103-86

Would have been nice to have watched this game. Looks like Afflalo played 1 more minute than Stucky. Maxiel and Sucky had great games. Sheed had 5 fouls in 20 mins as a starting Center.

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

hunter was in uniform.

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

My thanks as well to Lee, Hog, and Hatter for their top-notch writeups!

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee356, suppose Saunders decides to play McDyess and Maxiell each 20 minutes per game.

Wouldn't the Pistons be better off with McDyess as the starter and Maxiell coming off the bench? One of the biggest problems for Detroit the past couple of seasons has been lack of bench scoring. Bring Maxiell off the bench, along with Stuckey and Amir, they guys will not only bring excitement, but they will put up some impressive numbers.

5. BillLaimbeer

LOL. So, when you say someone "looked bad", you are really saying that you just "visualized it"? :pound:

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I really liked Afflalo's line from the box score. Scored some points, got to the line and hit his throws, chipped in with a board here, assist and a steal there, and no turnovers. Solid all around.

7. BillLaimbeer

The change of scenery and good health are just what the doctor ordered for Hayes. Here is what he said after last night's game:

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Cosigned!

I wasn't able to watch the pre-season game, but these writeups provided such a good summary that I felt like I actually watched it on television. Thank ya...thank ya...thank ya!!!!

9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Hot Rod - I am not sure how you developed such a negative attitude about Hot Rod's jump shot. I admit he needs to improve his range to get good with 3 point shots, but other than that his jump shooting is more than adequate.

I have researched Hot Rod on the net quite extensively and watched all five summer league games. I have found no indication from scouting reports or actual games that I have seen or listened to, that indicates that he is not a good jump shooter within his current range of 15 -20 feet.

AA - I agree 100%

Hayes - No mention made of his taking only 1 or 2 free throws despite all the shots he took. This indicates to me and also from listening to the game last night that he is still focusing almost solely on his outside shooting. This is a problem because if he is not willing or able to drive to the hoop then defenders can cheat and play up closer to him on defense thereby reducing the effectiveness of his outside shot.

If Hayes ever wants to earn more than $1 million a year or so he is going to need to go to the hoop and draw fouls and convert at high rate like Hot Rod. He is also going to have tighten up his defense like AA.

:hoops:

10. buddahfan

If I watched the game I actually saw it.

I will use the expression either way.

Don't forget that I a 60s child so I learned about the benefits and pleasures of visualization over 45 years ago. LOL

There was some great art work created in the 60s. The creation of beautiful art work requires visualization and basketball is an art form when played by players at the NBA level, so a fan can get a lot out visualizing the on the court art form of most (LOL) NBA players.

11. mikhail1973

Someone mentioned that he did post up some and went inside to get boards. But I didn't watch the game, so it is hard to say whether he just didn't get calls or didn't get close enough to the basket enough times.

12. BillLaimbeer

Honestly, I really don't know Hayes' game yet. You don't have to be able to go to the hole in order to be an effective player, though. There are lots of guys making tons of money shooting just jump shots. Take Rasheed Wallace, for example. :pound:

13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think its the difference between serviceable and elite. We are expecting stuckey to at some point be the MAN here.

14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

from what i remember he posted up twice, making one closer to the basket, and missing the other (but i think it was a mcdyess-style fadeaway outside the paint). i don't think it's his game, but he showed the capability of doing it.

most of his misses came from forcing shots when he wasn't open, but he wasn't afraid to try posting up down low or going down low for rebounds. he's definitely not someone who's going to drive to the basket, but he's not a mo-evans-stand-in-the-corner-and-wait-to-shoot-a-3 guy either.

15. buddahfan

I wasn't talking about posting up.

I was talking about taking it to the rack like Hot Rod, AA, JMax, AJ and Rip do.

I think Rasheed has a different game on offense now than when we signed him to the current contract. As I recall he did play down low on the box more back in 2003-04 then he does now.

This in one of the great qualities about Horford who I still think was the best big man in this last draft. The guy loves to bang and take it to the rack. He also plays tough low post defense.

I like him better than Oden because i don't think that we have seen the last of major injury issues with Oden. Horford reminds me of K. Malone except at this time he doesn't yet have the face up jumper and post up game that Malone did.

16. mikhail1973

In that sense - yeah, Hayes is not going to drive, that's not his strenth. But Pistons already knew that before they signed him.

17. BillLaimbeer

Hayes' strengths according to the coach:

“He’s a good shooter and shooters are supposed to shoot,” Saunders said. “He’s got the ability to not only play outside, but also post up and rebound. He gives us a different dimension at that position with his strength.”

18. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Lindsey did not play. He was in warmups and on the bench. Looks like he will mostly be a coach this year; given the defense Afflalo looks like he's ready to deliver.

Not sure on this one. When I first saw Curry on the bench I thought it was Ron Harper. Until I got a better look. I didn't notice him in Flip's ear much but he was in the rooks ear quite a bit.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks, Mad...with Lindsey approaching middle age, no need to play him during the preseason as long as he can help the rooks. Just wondering if he should be sitting in Curry's seat in a regular suit and if he starts the seaosn with some phantom injury that allows someone else a playing spot. (Meija, samb)

20. BillLaimbeer

Dre, you don't need phantom injuries anymore. You have 15 guys on your roster. You dress any 12 of them for each game.