1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Miami March 27 8PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by max, Mar 27, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

As we can see with Chauncey, size has its pros and cons. Afflalo should be better at dropping down to stop PG's than Bowen when he gets more experience. I actually think AA is a perfect size for a versatile SG stopper. He can defend big 1's and small 3's.

It's just cool that we were the team who was interested in the best defensive college player in the draft last year. He could have been a perfect pick for another GM trying to steal Joe's model.

2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Could you see AA with a team like the Spurs?

AA and Bowen would be some kind of backcourt defensive tandem.

3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Remember the year he said something like "I'm really playing horrible. I'm playing like (or maybe it was "worse than") Erick Dampier." I think he thinks he is being funny when he says these things, instead of just plain mean. Like alot of people who have a certain charisma, when it comes right down to it they don't like other people very much and don't hesitate to say something at their expense just to get a laugh or some attention. Plus frankly I don't think Shaq is all that smart to think through the impact of his comments. Completely self-involved and spoiled. That said I hope he can get it together to help Steve Nash have a decent playoffs this year.

4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

To be frank, Shaq is an idiot.

He believes he is bigger than life, that he is this huge indestructible creature that everyone loves, and he can do no wrong.

People say Kobe has an ego (well he does) however, Shaq ranks right there with Kobe! The comments he makes are meant to be derogatory and comical, IMO. It seems he has no respect for anyone but hiscurrent teamates.

I remember him on the MTV Show Punk`d, as the prank went on I believe his truck was hit and the culprit was driving away, or something like that. This oversized idiot actually reached in the car to stop the person from driving off. To him that was probably a natural reaction, if he continues to act like that he may learn that this is a crazy world away from basketball.

5. max

max All-Star

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

I concur.

What he says about former colleagues in the aftermath of trades show no class at all...he sounds like a spiteful spoiled-rotten teenager. Too bad he doesn't have a character that comes close to his physical stature.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I obviously have to to counteract Flip Saunder's stupidity.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hasn't Afflalo been starting lately?

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

b/c Rip/Dixon are injured. When Rip comes back and/or the PO's start we can talk about AA's min.

10. max

max All-Star

Do you think he should be playing ahead of Stucky? If not then you know a 4th guard during the playoffs ( if he wins it over Hunter,Dixon) does not typically play a lot.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't think Rip should be playing 40+ min. AA should be playing at least 10.

I don't see why they both can't play.

ESPN - Cleveland vs. San Antonio - Box Score - June 07, 2007
    ESPN - Cleveland vs. San Antonio - Box Score - June 10, 2007
    ESPN - San Antonio vs. Cleveland - Box Score - June 12, 2007
    ESPN - San Antonio vs. Cleveland - Box Score - June 14, 2007

Those are the box scores for the SAS/CLE Finals

Brent Barry
    Manu Ginobli
    Tony Parker
    Jaques Vaugn

all played more or less depending, but each got close to 10 min or more.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The question is do you want the Pistons to go out in the first round? Without Afflalo and his D, we will. They better find room for him.

13. max

max All-Star

Not that I don't appreciate and respect both of your views, I don't think you two are being very realistic for a playoff rotation.

I am starting a new thread on this call Playoff Rotation where hopefully we can get some discussions going on this.

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I think a lot depends on how games will flow: when starters are able build a lead then bench gets more PT cuz there is more room for errors. But when they fall behind early or some starters struggle do not expect flip to try whether bench can cope better or replace struggling starters. In tough cases I'm afraid,flip still relies heavily on starters in spite of fact how badly they play.

15. max

max All-Star

Any team that wins 58 games ( which they should ) and is 2nd in the league in pt diff can't be that bad.

16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I know, some are even pessimistic with first round but I believe that in this year starters play up their capabilities and they'll reach far. And when starters play well, bench follows it.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I disagree. DET pads their stats against a lot of bad teams and by going full throttle strategy-wise during the year when they play good ones.

Their D is not nearly as good the rankings would make you think. (And it is not good enough to overcome their own offense against good teams.) They are fundamentally flawed in that they don't have a defensive mindset that says I, the individual, am responsible for guarding this man. This is especially true on the perimeter and it leads to the breakdowns that have become the norm for this group.

I hate to bring this up, but the antithesis of this was how DET guarded Shaq under you know who. Ben Wallace could not guard Shaq 1 on 1. At times he got help, but for the most part it was his responsibility to take him. That sense of accountability spread to the entire D. Guard your man. Role players didn't bury them back then. Watch Sheed the first play of almost any game and he will not even be looking at his man. It could be LeBron he's watching or it could be Blake Ahearn. DET might shutdown Mike Redd or Joe Johnson in January, but they haven't stopped anyone the last few Springs.

18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

sorry to burst your bubble.... but thats how all teams get there stats..... you are always better against bad teams then you are againt the good teams..... at the end of the year detroit will have played the same schedule as cleveland, and basically the same as boston. so to compare there stats is a true showing of how they compare to other teams... as much as you can do really