1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Away Miami Heat - Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Discussion in 'April 2016' started by roscoe36, Aug 18, 2015.

1. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! Bench Warmer

Bench sucks, Stanley Johnson is worse, but we got a taste of playoff atmosphere today and I would like to think that experience is valuable.

I can't fret. This Heat team is playing for the 3 seed. They are very good at home. Take care of the Magic and we can rest easy the rest of the way. Indiana plays Cleveland and Toronto next so the seven-seed still is not out of question

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And if you missed it erase your DVR accordingly....

BallDon'tLie, Mossberg and roscoe36 like this.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

4. roscoe36

5. roscoe36

6. roscoe36

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good D or not, the key going into playoffs or just getting is basically summarized in this paragraph:
    If Pope and RJ can't get it going, then not even extra ordinary performance by the bench can save a date with the Cavs from being a 2009 playoff redux.

del and roscoe36 like this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not sure why Bullock got burried either.

del likes this.
  9. roscoe36

I don't know why you think we want or deserve the 7 seed.

We're not a good team. Toronto is a very good team.

I'd rather play the Cavs, Cleveland will be an insane atmosphere. That is the crucible this team needs to be tempered in.

I don't necessarily think the Cavs are a tougher matchup for us. If we play well, we can play with anyone. If we play bad, we cannot.

I'd rather go into the offseason with visions of the Cavs kicking our butts in guys' minds than so-so'ing it against the Raptors.

YMMV

LA Dre likes this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great report, as usual. Darn, I got that Memphis - Chitown game taped though - even though I typically do not watch such a game since I root for neither team. But I am very pleased to hear our magic number shrunk. Maybe I can quit growling long enough to type my brief report.

Actually, the Pistons got to within 13 early 3rd quarter. Breakdown, starters minus 3, as a unit, bench, minus 10, specifically counting the time when Blake entered until Baynes exited as the bench "time." Blake's defense, along with Baynes, can only be described as obscene. Now, to be fair to Baynes, Blake is many times worse than he is on defense. As bad as Baynes is, it is unfair to compare him to Blake, who is totally incapable of playing any D in this league, and has no place in this league, at all. As far as Baynes, considering Joel was dressed, no way he belonged in the game either. Again, the saddest part, our coach has no clue how much neither player belongs on the roster, probably a pride thing making him blind, since he is the darn GM that signed the two.

We have a fine bench. Just need a coach who quits playing the two guys who can not play - and as far as Tolliver is concerned, guys like Bullock and Hilliard can take his place by playing Morris more at power forward Tolliver is a decent enough 10th to 12th guy on a roster, but should not be depended upon for solid performances consistently enough for what we are about to enter, the playoffs.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Complete team loss.
    Our shots weren't falling and we were giving the ball back-T/Os.
    We end the season with Heat. I'm pretty sure it won't be a 20 pt loss !
    Who's next ?
    -
    I'm pretty sure SVG is show-casing Blake and Baynes.
    Everyone knows their talents but maybe he can swing a 2 for 1

BallDon'tLie and roscoe36 like this.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Stanley has totally lost his shot and his game. I guess he just has to play through it but it looks like he won't give us much for the rest of the season. He is the key guy off the bench and if he is not flowing the bench isn't flowing. I think the failure of the bench is mainly due to Stanley's regression. Miami looked good with the two rookies blending in with the old guys. Great draft for them and Joe Johnson was a great pickup. I still think we should have drafted him instead of Rodney but others will dispute that. We look destined for the 8th spot and some good playoff experience. Maybe even a win or two

del, max, BillLaimbeer and 1 other person like this.
  13. jzchen

jzchen Team Captain Forum Donor

I would like to know that too. Bullock was playing playing well. He played D and got a lot of defensive rebounds and offensively, he shoots better than StanJo and cuts into the lane better than anyone else in the team and that includes the starters as well.

del and roscoe36 like this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The answer is long-term plan. Stanley Johnson is a part of the future. Bullock is here for a temporary stay. SVG has to balance short-term success with long-term growth. Right now, Stanley's poor play is hurting our short-term success. Let's hope our reaching the playoffs doesn't hinge on the Bulls losing two more games.

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Heat = Hot | Pistons = Cold
    ...some observations
    • The Pistons ball movement looked like a bowel movement. It seems like whoever happens to have the ball in his hands at any given moment is involved in some sort of one-on-one battle with his defender. It's like these guys forget that they're not playing a game of cut-throat/21 out there. When the Pistons actually DID move the ball, they moved it right into the awaiting arms of Heat defenders. Sloppy passing led to a lot of sloppy turnovers.
    • I admit that I'm a bit of a Stanley Johnson apologist but in this game, the only thing that was "sorry" was his freaking jumper. This kid needs to get with Andre and split the cost of a psychologist. Stanley's head is so screwed up right now that he can't even make a freaking layup. C'mon SJ!
    • Mook "cooled off" in this one. His misses looked so bad that it looked like he had money riding on a Miami victory. Maybe the fix was in and the NBA needs to investigate. He had some nice turnovers though. It looked like he and Baynesie traded hands for the evening. -- "you know, just for fun mate!"
    • Great job by Reggie to get Andre a whopping total of 9 shots. Dre came out hot in the first quarter. Reggie responded to this by basically ignoring his All-Star big man. What's the point of even having a Point Guard???
    • I just checked the box score (I felt like I had to). Reggie Jackson "led" the Pistons with THREE (3) assists last night. I've seen more passing on a one-lane road.
    • Tobias Harris is really good. ...REALLY good!
    • Reggie went into "Reggie mode" in the third Q and this time I can't blame him. None of his teammates outside of Dre and Toby could manage to make the orange ball go through the hoop. I remember thinking to myself, "Cool, Reggie is reading the game situation. His team needs him to score, and he's scoring!" Then I remembered the fact that IF the other four guys on the floor with him were absolutely red-hot, Reggie would still be putting his head down and jacking up his shots. ...It was still nice to see a dude wearing a blue uniform make a few baskets.
    • Spencer Dinwiddie looked like he'd just woke up from a nap when he went into the game. Dude needed to go back to bed. Widdie gave new meaning to the phase "Garbage Time".
    • D-Hilliard was a freaking supernova! It was strange seeing a Piston guard other than KCP actually fight through a screen.
    • I don't understand why 'Gundy is afraid to press a button or two when his team is playing crappy. You had a bunch of guys last night that couldn't buy a bucket with an AMEX Black card. Why not stick someone else out there rather than completely torturing a guy having a horrible night??? It was pretty clear in the 2nd half that nobody was gonna "shoot their way out of it". When Mook and Stanley are a combined 1-16, maybe it's time to roll out Reggie Bullock and see if he can make the scoreboard move. SVG's got nothing to lose except a basketball game that he is going to lose anyway.
    • Kevin McHale is a good color dude. He's one of the few guys I didn't absolutely HATE from those 80's Celtic teams. I remember him being gracious to Zeke when the Celtics finally lost to the Bad Boys. He shook hands with Zeke and told him to bring home the championship for the EC while the rest of the Celtics just walked off the floor.
    • "Throw your hands in the air - Wave 'em like you just don't care!" seems to be the Pistons' strategic imperative for closing out on three-point shooters.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeap

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  17. max

max All-Star

Neither guy is going to rip up the league any time soon. SJ's field goal PCT of 37% concerns me, I think the bad passes will clear itself with experience but he has to shoot better.

18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Hyperbole?
    Mook didn't make a single shot the entire game and the dude had 6 turnovers.

roscoe36 likes this.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    His misses looked so bad that it looked like he had money riding on a Miami victory. Maybe the fix was in and the NBA needs to investigate. He had some nice turnovers though. It looked like he and Baynesie traded hands for the evening. -- "you know, just for fun mate!"
    -
    indefensible
    -
    like I said, who's next ?

LA Dre, roscoe36 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

In this game, we were down 2. Stanley came in. 2 minutes later, we were still down 2. Then Blake came in, and the downward spiral started. Just something to consider.