Away Miami Heat Friday Jan 25 2013

Discussion in 'January 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He actually did a decent job of this against Rip the other day.
    If he can't hang, gimme some K-English.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rip's game has lost a lot. Maybe Allen's too.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know why, but I'm really pumped for this game. Probably I'm deranged or something. But, this is going to be an epic win. I can feel it. I can feel it!

(Maybe that's the breakfast burrito, hmmm.....)
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think I am naturally wary of picking the Pistons, but I'm not dreading this game either.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

We're tied 45-45 with 5:00 left in the 2nd at Miami Heat.
    Translates to a 22 point loss.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Good call (so far).
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

I like to play a little game during the Pistons games called What would Kyle Singler have to do to get taken out of the game by Lawrence Frank?

Frank gets me so angry that I found myself rooting for D Wade as he was using Singler for target practice at the end of the 2nd.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

the Pistons led 41-34 when Frank subbed out Monroe for CV. They extended the lead to 43-34 after a Bynum hoop and then the roof Wade caved in...
    The Pistons were outscored 26-6 over the next 7.5 minutes as Wade and Lebron put on a globe trotter show with all types of acrobatic shots, passes and jams.

They managed to get a couple of buckets in the last 30 seconds to make it kind of respectable and they are down at the half 60-51. I am certain that 8 of their 10 turns came in the 7 minute span of the second quarter. Bright spot in the game was Monroe who decided to play close to the hoop and scored 17 points, 13 in the first quarter and 4 in to open the second, but none when he came back in to play.

Lets hope they get a tongue lashing at halftime and duplicate the same effort they had the last time they play the heat.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

The Pistons were playing well earlier in the game.
  10. bekzen

bekzen Second Round Draft Pick

Singlair d Wade matchup killed us. Don't know what Frank thinks about his coaching .... Give Drummond more minutes. Why subbed CV for Monroe on this scoring run?!

Regards from a pistons fan from Germany
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

#Heatgamenotes
    - Drum shoulda checked Wade from the opening tip.

-Aside from 1 nice drive and layup. Charlie could have made an entire 'lowlite' reel from the hillarity that he was giving his fans out there tonight. Sooting layups off the side of the backboard and stuff. ...so awesome!

- Play of the game: Heat go to trap Austin Daye on the baseline in the 1st Q. Instead of reading the play and passing out of it, he turns TOWARD the baseline and basically traps himself. He fires a high-arching-over-the-backboard-HORSE-shot that Teen Wolf tips in for two. Frank had to be proud of that one!

- Monroe's post moves were nice. He even took a couple J's

- "Wadney" Stuckey was really bad in this one. How he and D-Wade were EVER mentioned in the same sentence is beyond comprehension.
    KGREG, Nemo and alexa032 like this.
  12. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

The loss was completely expected, but again, the defense - goodness did it suck. Team started the game off well enough, trading leads with Miami, then Wade went off and all hell broke loose. Pistons never recovered.

- We need an actual SG who can shoot.
    - Stuckey, Bynum, BoT, Daye and Monroe's defense is crap.
    - Old Bynum is back. He shot well, but 1 assist and 4 TOs? Not good.
    - Greg had a very nice offensive game. Bad trend is we tend to lose when he gets those big nights. See: Toronto, Sacramento games this year. Good to see him take the open jumper at least once this game though.
    - Brandon played decently, but his 3 ball was off and so was his FT shooting. He was getting anywhere he wanted all of the first quarter, but they sort of went away from him once Greg got hot. He had nearly half (5) of the team's measly 11 total assists. Spent 1 whole possession on Wade before getting called for a foul for looking at him wrong.
    - Kyle can't guard 2s. This is unsurprising; sadly our as of now backup 2 (Stuck) isn't doing too well there either.
    - Monroe (rightfully, as he had it going) had the most FGA (17) by far. Next highest? Knight, Tay, Bynum with 7 apiece.
    - I really don't like Wade.
    - No clue how one-dimensional Stuckey could have ever been compared to Wade.
    - The bench's shine is fading, fast.
    - Austin Daye sucked.
    - Kenny sighting.
    - JJ looked so sad to be playing in Garbage Time.
    - BoT had a one game lowlight reel worthy of the Shaqtin' a Fool hall of fame.
    - Andre picking Wade's pocket twice was awesome. Especially with Wade trying to cross him up.

I remember saying this one would be a 5 on 8 affair - NBA gave us Violet Palmer. :idea:

On to the next.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No Tongue lashing at halftime only a big lashing put on the Heat as the only Piston player to come out of the locker room inspired was Moose, who scored 14 of the Pistons 17 points in the third, and finished with 31 at the end of three and was never seen or heard from again.

But why should he?? The Pistons were 0-20 when trailing after three this season and they were down 84-58 at that point, so the only thing we could do is see the scrubs pad their stats and hope for a comeback???? But no that was not going to happen, Eric Spoelstra played scared and held the big three in there until the 3 minute mark with the Heat holding 99-79 lead.

The Pistons started off strong, leading by nine early in the second, but as I indicated earlier, a substitution by CV for Moose and then a couple missed FT by Stuckey turned Wade on and he never looked back except for the two times that Drummond picked his pocket in the 4th qtr and raced down the other end....the first time for slam dunk and the second time for a missed hoop as he was defended/distracted by Allen and Wade who did not want to be embarrassed twice on HIS night.

Despite the 13 points from Bynum, all of our guards were horrible on defense, especially Bynum and Stuckey who was almost as bad as he was in Chicago. Tay hit two three pointers to start the game, but both he and Max were pretty much no shows the rest of the game.

About 3 and half minutes left in the game, two guys made their 2013 playing debuts, some tattooed mohawk guy for the Heat...Birdman Anderson and some familiar looking guy wearing number 33 got in contributed a foul to his stat line while playing. This of course was "breaking news" on the many news networks in Sweden.

Highlight of the game?? Miami fan hits a half court hook shot and wins $55,000. Lebron James immediately comes out to tackle him during the time out.

The good??? The Celtics comeback to lose in double OT to the Hawks after leading by 27, so the Pistons stay only 4 games out of the final playoff spot... Also the Red Wings at the Joe!!
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The game was a beat-down as the Heat on their 25th anniversary celebration weren't going to let the Pistons win. And not after losing to them last time.

Not much to say. The team still has a long ways to go to get back to the elite level. The biggest deficiency is a lack of a floor general to keep the team in a game like this. I think another top pick is needed: a point guard or a scorer.

About all you can do is see who stepped up to the competition. Stuckey and CV did not step up to the competition? Did management notice?
    Nemo and roscoe36 like this.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Monroe did (or does) seem more comfortable guarding James away from the basket. When he got switched onto James and had to take him 1 on 1 at the top of the key it was the least stiff he was all game.

I still catch a whiff of T-Mac when I see Drummond's # 1 on the screen.

I couldn't understand why Bynum had to come sprinting over to double the first time Drummond got switched up on Wade.

I think Drummond might handle the ball better than Knight. His hands are ridiculous.

I'm really glad the Pistons have a coach who is committed to not not playing these 2 guys.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You'd think it was the Will Bynum show, the way the Pistons promote him. But Will was minus 6 in this one, pretty typical. Wake me when Bynum actually helps contribute toward a win. Meanwhile, our rotations are jacked with him being forced into the rotation. (all because he looked good at the end of a 100-68 blowout when he got into garbage time.)

I will say it yet one more time, Will Bynum being played, as a third point guard in the rotation, means we are not playing what we need - a shooting guard added to the 2nd unit. Like English, or Middleton.

Stuckey is better without Bynum, because the best thing going for Stuckey, despite it being made fun of often, are his drives inside. When he is the point, he always has that option, and the other team has to respect it. With Bynum running things, Stuckey becomes pretty much useless since he is not a shooting guard by any means.

Meanwhile, you got Villanueva completely stinking the court up with his lack of defense. How many coaches now have went thru this? They see CV hit a few threes, fall in love with him, and then CV reverts to CV - an occasional 3 made, no defense, and a make from near the basket maybe once a month.

Monroe put together his best game ever of driving inside with the ball, and doing something right with it. More comfortable with all the options he has on the type of shot he selects. Like I said, everytime he shoots the ball, that is one less opportunity to get better at what he really needs to get better at - going to the hoop.

One story, hey, we are seeing more of Drummond and Monroe paired up. But coach is not doing it right. Drummond should be starting along side Monroe, so both, while fresh, can play along side the other for 40 minutes a game. In the first half, sure Monroe played along side Drummond for about 8 minutes, but that meant Monroe going 16 straight minutes to start the game.

Number of minutes Drummond should ever suffer with Bynum as the point guard, or CV along side him at power forward: zero. Never. Ever.

Possible rotation:

Knight, Daye, Singler, Monroe, Drummond

2nd unit: Stuckey, English, Middleton, (Monroe or Drummond), Kravstov.

Tay and JMAX are the 10th and 11th guys in the rotation, playing as needed.

Not playing at all: Maggette, CV, Bynum, JJ
  17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I never want to see Stuckey in a piston uniform again unless he buys 1 and sits in the stands. Give me Englishh allllllllll day long instead. Stuckey is cooked, he is done, no future in the cards...done...Bynum and the second unit seem to forget why they were good as soon as Stuckey step on the floor with them...absolutely no floor spacing ...they were standing around watching the guards take turns driving and turning around and then driving again. No movement on the perimeterand no problem for defenders to catch their breath. I am done with the Stuckey as a Piston, we need fresh blood and we need it now.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dang. We got smoked. But at least Greg Monroe stepped it up tonight and there were a few times where we looked good with him and Drummond playing together. Drummond's high lights tonight were RIDICULOUS! Stuckey, BoT and Tay can't get out of Detroit fast enough as far as I'm concerned. I now find myself laughing every time Brandon loses his handle, there are so many plays that NEVER happen because he can't get a handle on the basketball, at this point it's just comical.
    kpaav likes this.
  19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Not much to note other than a rare Lee sighting between the 3rd and the 4th where he impressed the crowd and James by hitting his patented halfcourt hook shot.
    roscoe36, LA Dre, linwood and 2 others like this.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

My analysis of the game:

Chubby guy who hit the half court shot is going to be sore this morning.

Let's ease up on Rodney until he gets his tooth back.

This game was worth watching just for the back to back Drummond steals. It's like when a Lions/Barry Sanders game...you keep watching to see what he will do.

Austin Daye needs more minutes....he is losing confidence.

English must be a really bad practice player if he can't get more minutes. I'd give him more at least until Rodney gets his tooth.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.