Miami Heat Feb. 4th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'February 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, Curry coached a good game. Thru 3 quarters. But then, as per usual, his game is way off to start the 4th quarter. He brings in Rip as his only substitution to start the 4th. No Afflalo, no JMAX. And of course, we lose our lead pretty fast. Curry did manage though to bring a couple of brain cells tonight and put in JMAX for a while to calm things down. Sheed hit a clutch 3, Afflalo ended up hitting some very clutch free throws, and there was that crazy great double clutch jumper from Stuckey that he banked in over Wade.

Dyess had a good game, 17 bounds, made a few jumpers, and did some work inside. But when paired with Sheed, it does not look that good on our D. Dyess, as Curry threatened, is now playing starters minutes. I wonder if that is why we had our sellout streak snapped? Yeah, like people want to see two old men playing center and center out there for us, while we have no power forward in the game.

JMAX played plenty, the whole 2nd quarter, and much of the 4th quarter. Mostly, he just played solid D. Afflalo played the whole 4th, and was seen often playing fine D on Wade. Plus he gave us some points after missing his first two shots. He drove Wade for an impressive score, and hit a three. Nine points in all for the night. Yes, Curry gets kudos for being smart enough to leave Afflalo in the whole 2nd quarter since he was doing so well on D, but why not start him in the 4th quarter? Its just wrong not too, AI's feelings aside. Its just wrong.

AI gave us some scoring in the first. Not much else positive to say about him for this game.

Stuckey had a fine scoring game. He hit shots inside and out. Compared to Wade, who got more points, but took 30 shots getting them, gee, Stuck shone well.

Rip hit some shots. He does work inside some. Its not all just midrangers. One thing Rip did not do is bring the offense to start the 4th quarter. (Which is why he is coming off the bench - in part supposedly.)Me, I say bring the D off the bench to start the 4th. JMAX and Afflalo should start every 2nd and 4th quarter.

Tay had a fine game. Including 3 triples made. I think that may the first time since the first few games of the season? Just maybe he is getting his legs back a bit. About time. That small ball about did him in. Tay did not play the 2nd quarter at all, so he had something left for those triples in the 2nd half. But no, he still should not play a whole half. (like he did in the 2nd half of this one.

Miami has some pretty darn good scrambling D that forced a lot of turns this game. Good job by them. Some of it was just being sloppy on our part. Its tough to win when you give up what, a dozen or so more turns vs. the other team.

The Pistons played stifling D in the first half. Marion's shooting kept Miami close though - that and all the turns we gave up.

Sheed made a few threes plus several closer in shots. Good game for him for sure. Not much to guard in Magloire.

Amir did little but contribute some good D. He only played 10 minutes. He came out with 2 fouls in the 1st quarter - and I believe with 4 fouls in the 3rd quarter - but Dyess was ready to come in already in the first quarter. Curry is just simply planning to play Dyess starters minutes, even though in theory Amir is the starter. We went up to a 13 point lead in the 3rd quarter. In contrast, the first quarter started out poorly, and Dyess was called to come in as we only had scored 2 points. Sheed hit a triple though before Amir went out. Amir ended up plus a couple of points in all for the game.

When Dyess came in for Amir, we lost a double digit lead pretty much, but ended the quarter on an uptick, going into the 4th with an 8 point lead.

Gee, free throws. Tay missed a tech, then Rip missed a couple. In crunch time. Somebody has got to get these guys practicing their free throws. Detroit, once the standard, is now I believe 27th in free throw shooting. And Ben don't work here no more. And Kwame is not playing. But yet we are still that bad? The whole league has found out a way to teach their guys how to make free throws. It does not seem to be a state secret.

Sum of game. We stay in command thru 3. Curry forgets what got him the lead. The game is way too close down the stretch, but we make some clutch shots and win. Curry could have skipped all the dramatics, started the 4th quarter with Afflalo and JMAX out there.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I know what you are saying. It is striking to me how well coached the other team looks sometimes in comparison to ours.

But with that said, Wade did take 30 shots tonight. Its not like we are the only team playing a bunch of one on one basketball.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Easy to mention them when they miss, so I'll be fair and mention it when it goes in... what was Sheed doing jacking up a DEEP 3-pointer with 12 seconds left on the shot clock (20 in the game) when we were up by 2 points? Why not take the highest % shot possible toward the end of the clock? A 2 possession game is a 2 possession game. That dude.

Some really bad end-game play from both teams. AI letting the ball go through his legs and OB. Miami with 2 terrible give-aways in the final minute or so. Rip, Tay, and AA with a bunch of missed FT's. And then Wade with a horribly unnessesary fade-away that was borderline airball.

But we got it done. Overall, pretty good defense. And not a bad job on Wade. We put a lot of different players on him and forced him into some really tough shots. He did get hot from 3-land, but overall, I'll take 10-31 from him everytime.

And it was finally nice to hit some 3-pointers ourselves. > 50% from deep with 14 attempts. I'm guessing this is the most 3's we've taken this year at above .500 in a game. It really makes a difference when you can knock down the open ones.

Also, did anyone notice that in the 2nd quarter, someone officially fell for Tay's shot fake??? It worked and he drove for the right hand finish. That was a message from him to all the doubters.

Our only real crime tonight was the loose ball handling. Some TO's are caused by pressure, but these were not. Just a bit of carelessness and butter fingers syndrome tonight for some reason. Got away with it.
  4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

After trade MC said that he had to simplify or abandon most plays because of as he politely said Billups and AI are different players.

It's damn easy to use coach as escapegoat ( happened with Flip) but ask from yourselves: can AI be something else than he has always been?

I have noticed that for effective play BOTH stuckey and AI need 15 sec of dribbling...
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You're crazy if you think 26 points and 23 rebounds tops a 4 by 4 by AJ. I see you’re conveniently omitting Maxey’s 2 pt and 1 rebound effort to try and paint your argument.

The Heat lost this game. The Pistons did not win.

I like how DET started out the game on offense by going to Amir at the elbow after their customary waltz up the court. No one burns the clock like our Pistons.

Does anyone else think these walk throughs they talk about are all a ruse and they're all sleeping or playing video games all day? There's no way they can be preparing for this stuff and come out so disjointed.

You do not need to be all that good to be in 5th place in the East.

The game turned when Curry put Dyess in with Sheed.

It's a good thing they played Sheed the whole first quarter. The offense couldn't function without the one shot he took.

I forgot AI was even on the team he was sitting so long in the 4th.

Anyone notice the funny spin Stuckey purposely put on the ball when he passed it to AI with 1:30 to go in the game so it would go through his legs and out of bounds? That was more bad luck coming Al's way again.

Dyess looked like he got a hold of Mrs. Hunters pep pills in the 3rd quarter. He couldn't catch the ball.

I can't remember if I've said this before, but I would pay $1000 to watch Dyess run around at full speed and try and catch low passes just to see how far he would land from the ball.

In all honesty, would DET have 18 wins now without those "bad" 3's from Sheed?
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A few things that will continue to dog us:

We cannot hold on to double digit leads..if we get them
    Curry still has not figured how to coach the 4th quarter
    The battle with Miami over the sixth spot may last a few weeks
    Rip seems out of synch coming off the bench
    Dyess has Kwame hands too when it comes to dribbling or passing (at least tonight)
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I though Rip had a decent game. Made a few shots, got to the line a bunch, led the team in assists off the bench. I'm think he's filling the role pretty well so far.

Dyess did have a rough couple minutes there with his hands. But they were probably tired from ripping down 17 boards! He plays tough as hell when he has energy.

This is the McDyess I want to see in the playoffs. MC will need to pace him later in the year so we can see Dyess give full effort in the postseason against DHo.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

I'd take 10-31 from our guards most nights.
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Max the Pistons do not win "easy" and Dre they can't hold onto leads because the team simply cannot execute for even one full quarter. I have been pointing this out for about a month now.

The Pistons should have won by double digits easy. Always a bad foul, missed free throws, a defensive lapse or a turnover killing rallies and letting the other team back in. Doesn't matter who is on the floor. Everyone has been the culprit at one time or another.

The Pistons are quite capable of playing above mid-pack but not for a whole game and who knows if it will come. Yes, Curry holds some responsibility but this group is just not a good mix--too guard heavy. It would have happened without the trade but not to this extent. There was no room for Stuckey with Billips either.

Again, when are our young bigs going to have two good games in a row? Dyss can't keep that up.

A real three ball shooter with help against those zones.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think if Curry showed a little patience tonight AJ & Max could have gone for 3 pts and 6 boards.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I actually thought we were pretty lucky to be maintaining the lead. Every time Miami closed the gap we seemed to drain a 3 or a tough shot (like Stuckey's triple pumper). Every time Miami had a chance to go ahead, they turned it over down the stretch or had shots go in an out. The win wasn't very convincing... but it wouldn't have been for Miami either if they would have pulled it out.

Both teams played hard.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tay is a real 3 ball shooter. But instead of using him in that role, we ask him to play point forward against the zone.

He's shooting 0.8 less shots per 36, and within that, 0.6 3 pointers.

His assists are down, his scoring is down.

Still, he's a career 36.5% 3 point shooter, shooting 36.4% this year.

The only better 3 point shooter on the team is Walter.
  13. max

max All-Star

I still don't like that shot. It went it and was great that it went in but overall its not the best play to have a 30% 3-pt shooter take that shot when up by 2, unless he has to shoot to beat the clock.

Its never going to change though.
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, exactly. Tay is the most consistent three ball shooter on the team. But he has become a pump faker who stalls the offense. You would think with the steady diet of zones against the Pistons, the coaches would figure that out and use Tay at his strength shooting the three.

Ernie, really. Every time one of our young bigs has a big quarter in a game, just when you think they have broken through, they seem to have a couple of quiet games. Sheed and Dyce are too old to carry this team and they need consistent help.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The young bigs are not asked to provide much. Defense, and holding their own on the glass. For all the "mediocre" performances they put up, we still play 100x better when they are in the game. The Dice/Sheed pairing simply doesn't work, won't work, and will not work. I think the standards are way too high for some of the young players even with our coach. The veterans can basically float around and only if they do something really atrocious will they be pulled and even then it will be for 5 minutes not benched for multiple games. If Curry refuses to let Amir or Max or Kwame play in important minutes, then criticizing them for their lack of impact is pointless.

For all of Dice's rebounding, our defense falls apart when he's in there with Sheed.

Why wasn't Amir allowed to play in the 4th of the CLE game? Why wasn't Max allowed to finish the BOS one ? Give inconsistent minutes and expect inconsistent impact. And even with the "inconisistent" impact we look so much better with them in. This could be because the Sheed/Dice pairing is just that bad or just maybe they are doing something positive out there.

It's like criticizing AA's offensive potential/production when he plays so sparngly.
  16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I just kinda thought we closed out the game like a bunch of bush league wussies. Its a 3 pt game with a very dangerous player out there. I dunno, it felt to me like nobody cared whether we won or lost.
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

great game, LOT of fun to watch. everyone is too busy complaining to realize and appreciate what stuckey did tonight. he grew up. he outplayed his idol, decided to take over the game down the stretch (like he was doing in the summer league and earlier in the year...dude is clutch in the 4th), made tough shots, and refused to lose this game. stuck has had a rough bunch of games lately...this should do wonders for his confidence and psyche.

i cannot see why there are so many amir apologists though. he had one really good quarter in the span of 4-5 games in which he had looked rather awful! people complain about sheed and dice being paired together but those 2 got us back in the game in the 1st quarter, whereas amir looked atrocious. now the sheed/dice pairing didn't work as well in the 3rd/4th as it was clear sheed needed a rest and we were slowing down and our defense was doing a little worse. but...we won 59 games last year with both of those guys starting...it's not going to kill us to play them together.

in either case i had a blast watching this game. however it seems no win is good enough for this forum. :(
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am happy with the win. It was scary at the end, but then it was scary when binary man was playing too!

But I gotta cut Curry some slack because he was one of Lee's favorite players. Back on the DetNews, it was always, "Mike Curry this" and "Mike Curry that".
  19. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

20. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer