Miami Feb. 6th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'February 2008' started by Dlev59, Feb 4, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Was this a recent quote? Is he mentally-impaired?
  2. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

The point is, Flip was quoted as saying Afflalo's time would depend on matchups and what we need. Well, we needed his D. He outrebounded Max too. Someone needs to tell that guy to hit the boards. He's a 4 after all.
  3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Yes. Dated February 5 to be exact. He didn't say "situational" after all, but it means the same.
    - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

bla . . . just when i was getting excited about this team again :pout:

Did he not just say a week ago we needed to establish a 4th big. That Amir was in the rotation, and gushing about how great he was?? And AA as well? Said defense is what will get you on the floor?

He's like a used car salesman.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As many people picked up on, Flip Saunders is rapidly derailing the team. Sure we beat Miami, a team minus Shaq, Haslem, and Mourning. No, Marion did not play this game. Miami hung close with us with good shooting, but good shooting because of one uncontested shot after another.

We managed to win the game, getting enough offense from Billups, going inside a lot, Rip, making a lot of shots, and Sheed doing a lot of damage from around the basket and midrangers.

Dyess hit some shots. Hayes had a decent game. Tay hit some key shots down the stretch and got about 14 in all.

Afflalo did not do much in this game, and yet he was in there those last few mintues of the 3rd quarter as we built an 11 point lead. Good D. His reward? Just like the first half, he sat down and watched Rip play the whole 4th quarter. Afflalo was used in some end of game situations in this tight game.

Maxiell also did very little in this game, was also part of that run that gave us control of the game. Defense wins.
    Amir played some decent D while in his two minutes, got one score on a post up move.

Stuckey did play 15 minutes, which is acceptable. This kept Billups to 33 minutes. Stuckey's highlight, besides picking up a few loose balls, was a fast break layup just a few seconds after Wade layed one in on the other end.

Considering the amount of rest the Pistons have had this past week, the minutes the starters played were not that bad. The problem is how little time Amir Johnson got in the game. Lets review this. In the past 6 games now, Amir has gotten into the rotation for both halves of the game 3 times. This is standard Flip derailment mode. He is pretending to play Amir Johnson. Nothing more. Just pretend. Probably to keep his job.

I wonder, how many fans does he think he is fooling? Does he think its like some slight of hand trick that nobody will notice. Yes, Flip, we all noticed. You did not play Amir enough to matter. All us fans can hope really is that Dumars will fire you. No way you will change. No way the Pistons have a chance to win a Championship this year, because of you and your insistance in derailing a good thing.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Agree. Flip is backsliding on his promise to play Amir more. The kid has earned the pt...he needs to be on the court.

At least we won the game..but it was brutal.
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

What i don't understand is even if the initial reason he started playing him was to save his job, didn't he see that he is actually good? Is he blind? I mean serioulsy, i just don't get it. I want to go to a game sit courtside, and ask him these questons.

Amir looked thrilled to be playing, had a great attitude throughout his years of not playing. Stop trying to kill the kid's confidence.
  8. max

max All-Star

I can see the headlines now "Flip Saunders fired today for not playing Amir Johnson". He used a combination of trickery and deception to give the illusion of playing him but he was not really playing him. Just an elaborate illusion.

Games like this sometimes its good to step back and take a look at how the Pistons could be right now. Only 2 years ago Miami beat us in the ECF and now they are in last place. That could be us. Miami has plenty of young guys and D-leaguers to watch everynight.

Bench would have played more if they played better. Sheed and Dyess both played great, thats why Amir did not play more. He is afterall still the 4th big off the bench.

I thought Hayes and Afflalo played well but that was about it. Stucky was so so. Sheed was the player of the game. Slow start in the 1st quarter kind of surprised me. Tons of jump shots and no real plays ran. I am sure they had a plan but players were settling for the 1st open J.

A win is win..
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

This was the first win I've watched this year that i didn't crack a smile ONCE. There was NOTHINg acceptable about this game AT ALL! We are not playing for ECFHCA so I blame this one on three factors:

1. our coach is a beeyotch! He is scared of his starters, so he wouldnt think of benching for say an entire quarter, which is what i would have done in the 4th. Why is it these so-called great coaches can only coach their bench players in blowouts? There was no reason to play Dice 37 MINUTES! against a bunch of NBDLers. It was a great opp to get Amir some confidence. I hate Flip so much right now.

2. The starters can only blame themselves for their lack of effort tonight. So my thing was - Why not have a lil fun and start the Max, Amir, hayes, AA and Stuckey. It was an exhibition game atmosphere, so why not treat it as such. I would have made a great coach.

3. Dwayne Wade still has a lot of heart. I think he's free of carrying superman's jock and will unleash a season of 30pt/10 assist games. I still find him a marvel and can only hope Stuckey will be half the player he is.
    but if Kobe and Wade can do this to this piston D over the past week, I still get a Jordan-like shiver when I think of facing lebron in the playoffs.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was definitely a snoozer. The starters were bored, so they didn't play with energy, so Flip was afraid that the game might slip away, so he kept them in, so they didn't play with energy, etc, etc.

Miami put a pretty sorry team on the floor tonight. Scary that they could have beat us in our building.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Bad Weather, really bad weather. Bad opponent, I mean really bad opponent. Bad atmosphere, really bad atmosphere. Stevie Wonder could've seen this one coming. You had to know that the starters we're going to play uninspired, would have been a perfect game to give Stuck, AA and AJ extended mins to send a message. Would have rather loss this one by 20 with the young'ns than barely beat the worse team in the league by playing the "Core" for extended mins.

Also, while I'm a HUGE Maxiel fan, why is he being given mins these days, AJ has been really outplaying the guy for 2 weeks. It should be Max with the situational mins and AJ in the rotation these days. I'd love a good ol P.T. Dog-Fight for that 3rd big position.

Was it me or was Stuckey completely STAR-STRUCK by D-Wade tonight?
  12. max

max All-Star

I don't know. Stucky did not seem to back down after Wade blocked one of his shots. It was just good D by Wade I think but Stucky was missing some of those 5' floaters that he was making in the prior 2 games.

Wade took about 33% of their total shots. Sheer volume got his his 30. 11-25 for 44%. Kind of reminds me of that one year when Stackhouse was pretty much our offense. Wade did get 12 assists though.
  13. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Seemed like the regular old Flip Saunders rotation and play calling tonight. Amir plays 2 minutes against the worst team in the league, with no bigs, while the team is obviously lacking energy(idiotic). Stuckey is back to being the stand on the perimeter and wait for someone to post up guy (no P&Rs). AA was playing well, and he gets a nice quick seat on the pine. Starters (Rip, Tay, and Chauncey especially), were quite obviously tanking this one, and they still play 38+ minutes.

Jarvis still can't play ANY D. How many times can he get caught in no-man's land? AA and Walter should be playing all of his minutes. Selfish shots and bad D = Bench, IMO.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

^

It's the damn practice that did it. They had time off, practiced on Mon, and Flip managed to teach them how to suck again.

Flip epitomizes the phrase "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". Sometimes i think the starters try to play sucky so they can get benched and it doesn't happen.

Also,
    I think we need to start a FREE AMIR petition or something. Maybe people should start chanting at games. Hell i'd do it if i didn't live in NY.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wade grabbed Stuckey's uniform to avoid being posterised. One of the worst non-calls this season. To call it a block means you did not see the play.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You did notice that Amir did not play bad? Why should his minutes go down? Did you notice that Dyess only had 4 rebounds in the 2nd half, two of those quickly to start the 2nd half. Maybe he could have used a bit more rest.
  17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This one was one bad call away from being tied with eight seconds left. Prince clearly fouled Davis on that three and the Heat should have been shooting free throws.

Too many days off between games added to an empty building really seemed to suck the life out of the Pistons. It's got to be tough to come out and play under those circumstances.

How else to explain one board and two turnovers from Max in 18 minutes? Well, he has already played 135 more minutes this season than all of last season. That's a big ol' wall he's running into.

Probably best for Stuckey not to get into one-up kind of games with Dwayne Wade. He need to stick with picking on little kids from Dallas. I thought that took him out of his game.

Time to forget this stinker.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wonder if people in the Celtics and Suns forums complain about how their teams win.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Come on man, the "best starting five" in the league barely beat the worst team in the league (who was missing one of the greatest big men ever) at home. If that's not a win to complain about, then what is?

Our biggest weakness last night, lethargy, could have been corrected with our bench's great strength, energy.

At the stage we are at, how much does a win really matter anyway? Sure, if we lose a few in a row, there starts to be a negative vibe. But we can easily play .500 ball from here on in if we wanted to. It's all about developing players to the point where Flip can trust them in a playoff situation. If he doesn't trust them with the lead against Miami, then he has work to do.
  20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree. I thought Stuck played fairly aggressively. He did not seem afraid out there. Made Wade play D.