Away Memphis Grizzlies Saturday March 3 2012

Discussion in 'March 2012' started by roscoe36, Mar 1, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Mar 3, 2012.
  1. Detroit

25.0%
  2. Memphis

75.0%
  1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Having CV questionable must really put a strain on opposing coaches. I'm sure other teams are spending considerable amounts of time creating two game plans - one with CV, one without CV.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Memphis playing nice D but Tay and Stuckey have been getting it done. Wilkins has forced a bunch of turnovers. We need more help from the other guys. Memphis getting a lot of bunnies before the end of the half.
  3. Slippy

We were tied going into the 4th and it all fell apart. We are doing well on the boards but we have problems shooting it. The usual.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well for those who did not get a chance to see the game...the final score was Grizz 100, Pistons 83....Actually it was closer than that, but people around the league won't know. The Pistons and Grizzlies played an even game thru three qtrs with the Pistons leading at the end of three 70-69.

But after the Pistons went up by 2 >>78-76 with 8 mins left, the bottom fell out for the Pistons as OJ Mayoed the Pistons in the 4th and the Pistons could not overcome three key mistakes and I hate blame it on someone.....but it was JJ on all three.

First after he got the ball on a late pass from Stuckey, he tried to do a tayfake pump and let the clock run out before he shot it. The Pistons survived that TO as Stuckey hit a three pointer on the next Piston possession as he took the shot instead of looking for a teammate. That

That bucket by Stuckey actually put the Pistons up 78-76 at the point and that would be the last time the Pistons would score for the next six minutes..... A few possessions later, JJ grabbed a rebound that hit the backboard... not the basket, and instead of putting what look like a probably uncontested putback, he passed the ball out .... and the 24 second clock expired a second or 2 a later. meanwhile the Grizz had gone ahead on a Mayo 3 and couple of ft's by Pomdexter. On the next possession, JJ threw away the pass in the middle, and the Grizzlies went down the court and Pondexter hit a three to put them up 85-78.....and I called it game then.

JJ sat and the Pistons went to small ball, the Grizz completed a 17-0 run before the Pistons ended the dry spell on a Stuckey layup. By that time it was 93-80 and the Piston bus driver had already started the engine because JJ was already on the bus.... The Grizz close the game on 24-5 run to end what look like a down to wire game for most fans...

Looks like somebody got a hold of JJ's attention span and told him its time for someone to tank and it's your turn. At least VMack got a chance to add to his career point total with 2 points.
  5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

That didn't end well. Fourth Quarter Collapse returns!

Greg did a good job on the boards, but missed too many easy buckets. He also looked like he was really forcing the issue there in the second, and then they went to small ball and he got no help on the glass. Gasol did a great job on him. Solid game regardless.

Brandon played decently. He was forcing a little as well, and then he went completely passive when he came back in the fourth. Their inability as a team to make perimeter shots really, really hurt them, letting Memphis go zone with no penalty and actually helping them with their rebounding. I don't think he took a shot in that fourth quarter, and Stuckey took too many. Had a very surprising alley oop dunk off a pass from Tayshaun in the third. Had me laughing like a nut in shock. He looked kinda gassed at the end.

Rodney, Rodney, Rodney. Why u so predictable? He kept driving inside all throughout, having some success, but I remember thinking Memphis will stop him by taking a charge, and predictably, they did. And then the calls stopped coming. He forced it too much in the fourth quarter, turning the ball over and just not playing at all well. He was 6 of 22. I think he was mad because it was his man, OJ Mayo, that hit those big threes to give Memphis the lead for good.

The one game Tayshaun's shooting well and he takes only 10 shots. Meh. He played solidly, but got burned a little once Rudy got going. He also exhibited his tendency to hold the ball too long in the fourth, bailing Memphis' defense out by not moving the ball. He played well though, looking to facilitate a little more in the first 3 quarters.

I thought Max played well. He hit a couple jumpers, scoring 10. I thought they played better with him in than with JJ or Ben in there.

BG was meh. Turned his ankle in the third, and really shouldn't have been brought back in. Small ball sucks, and his last foul was just...:yell:

Damien Wilkins. Dude. You're in for defense, not dribbling like a headless chicken.

JJ. I like the guy, but this is the second game in a row where he really, really hurt his team. We got away with it against woeful Charlotte, but Memphis is a good team, and his poor clock/floor awareness causing 3 straight turnovers really hurt. Like others have said, he needs coaching.

It was actually a good, playoff-like game for the most part, and I liked the players' effort, keeping up with a Memphis team that led by 20+ at the half at the Palace earlier in the season. Ended as a near perfect copy of that game as well, getting close and then just flat out collapsing, with careless turnovers and lack of ball/player movement. Oh well. Moral victory?
    basketbills and roscoe36 like this.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That was an awesome effort by the Pistons. I actually enjoyed watching them play. The Grizzlies are killers and they went to the Pistons body for 12 rounds before finally wearing them out. The final score was not indicative of how competetive the game was.

This was only the 2nd game all year I caught close to the actual tip-off time and it makes a huge different to my attitude. (I am not drunk. These are my actual thoughts.)

The Pistons looked lean, quick and aggresive tonight. I love Coach Frank because he has everyone that is playing doing what they should be doing. It may not always net positive results, but I believe he has a template in place for them to be successful.

The Pistons looked a little Larry Brownish tonight with their versatility. Stuckey, Tay and Max carried the load the first 24 and then Monroe and Knight took the lead. It all flowed though, there wasn't a portion where you were cursing out one of the 5.

Stuckey played a great game tonight. His game seems a lot less manic now. He did not score as much in the 2nd half (I think), but he no longer drifts around in a daze like he used to. He hit a few really difficult shots. You can't overstate how much Knight has helped him.

Ben Gordon is the worst Piston rotation player right now. He's the same level as Dominique Wilkins to me now except I feel better when Wilkins is on the floor because he can play D.

Tony Allen is a rigoddamndiculous athalete. You forget that he battled major knee injuries his first few years in the L. It is not possible for me to like him anymore.

I love the Grizzlies!!!
    Slippy likes this.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Epic quote.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You have to wonder sometimes what JJ was observing riding the bench last season or if he got any side coaching at all while his team mates were playing. To me he played better in his rookie season.:frown:
  9. Slippy

This game was lost by the front office and not by the front court. Frank has got these guys playing as well as can be considering the talent level and the practice time. We do not have a guy that is a threat from outside. This allows team to clog the middle and we rely on ref whistles to bail us out.
    From a strategic standpoint we did what we needed to do. We attacked the basket. We got to the line. We got offensive rebounds. What we couldn't do was hit shots. Also we have no one but stuckey who can break a trap. If we only had a guy who could shoot. who could that be? I wonder. Sometimes, when you're locked in a stalemate, you need a guy to get uncorked and put the ball in the bucket.

JJ made some mistakes but Stuckey should have shot not passed. He had an open 3 and charged right into 2 guys for a desparation kick out.

If nothing else, its easy to improve.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Well I dunno. Its kind of believable. I mean, this morning I woke up with an erection.

Where is your science now?
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Detroit News did not send a reporter to the game. They have the AP recap about the game.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Ouch!
  13. BillLaimbeer

I'm sure Forbes was there.
    basketbills likes this.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Look at the boxscore, Maxiell, plus 10, JJ minus 16. Both played the same position, power forward. The difference, its absurd to pretend JJ is an NBA power forward. With JJ in, Memphis went into layup drill mode, as nobody was home. Big Ben can't work totally alone. Sure, we were tied after 3 quarters, but JJ did not better in the first half on the plus /minus. Sorry, but this coach may know how to coach, but he is either choosing not to, or simply does not understand the NBA game. You can't put a guy into a position that he can't fill and then blame the players for losses. This was certainly, absolutely, a coaching loss.
  15. BillLaimbeer

I agree Jerebko had a bad game. I don't think it matters what position he played. He simply played poorly and it hurt the team's chance to win.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Monroe is -175 on the year and Maxiell is only -69.

It's a strange year. Stuckey is actually our best player from a +/- standpoint and Knight is our worst.

In the game yesterday, our bench just got absolutely destroyed (outscored 31 to 11).
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I hope that Joe and his henchmen are looking at a team like Memphis ( and Philly) and wanting to be like them. Memphis has some good players but it's the way that they play that I really dig.

I remember when Mike Conley signed his contract a year or two ago, everyone was wondering what the heck Memphis was thinking. Whoever inked that deal is having the last laugh as Conley is flat-out bawlin' this year. He leads the league in steals and runs that team very well. It seems like every Grizz player gets the ball where he wants it and is involved in the offense. I gotta imagine that opposing PGs look at the schedule and don't look forward to playing Tony Allen and Mike Conley.

Props to Rodney Stuckey for playing some of the best ball of his career lately. I still think he's being paid 1.5 of his value but that's not his fault.