Memphis Grizzlies March 15th, 1:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 12, 2009.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Starters must play well that's why coaches put 'em back for final minutes.

reading after the game a game log and posting coulda-wouldas is pretty meaningless.

MC is under pressure. He has to win games now. He has no luxury to develope somebody at the price of wins.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

bla . . .

Rip has dominated the ball for 2-3 games and largely b/c Curry is allowing it. Rip does not need to dominate the ball and as pointed out last game, there is no reason for him to be playing PG and SG. AI has dominated the ball for his entire career. It's the only way he knows how to play.

Do i think Rip should be dominating the ball? No. Do i think AI should be doing it as well? No. This image people have of AI drawing Wade FT #'s and scoring 50 is from years ago, sorry.

Rip's FG % has been awful for about 3 games. What have you done for me lately, i guess.

MEM is the same type of athletic team that gives us problems; even worse they are athletic at practically every position.

Alot of people dislike Sheed, but hey this is our team w/o him and a mediocre coach. MC has Flipitis. He thinks that the only way to win is live and die with the starters.

Trevor Ariza started on LAL and couldn't shoot, and did nothing but play defense. He had Amir's erratic, helter skelter style, and often made mistakes. Basically, in DET he would be Arron Afflalo in terms of minutes. Phil Jackson threw him in the game, mistakes be damned, gave him minutes, and told him everytime he's open in the corner; don't hesitate to shoot. He stuck with him through games where his % was dreadful, games where he was a foul machine, and games where he just looked confused. We don't know how to develop players. It's useless to pine for other teams bench guys. Ariza is the confident player he is now b/c he was allowed to one play consistently and two play through his mistakes.

edited to add;

Sorry for the harsh tone of the post. It's not directed at anybody. I'm just annoyed.
  3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Thats the sports game for ya.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

developing Stuckey? Maybe earlier in the season but he seems to be regressing under the weight of the politics.
  5. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

Ariza has only started 2 games this year and Phil plays Ariza through his bad shooting % because he always brings good d and energy...he's the Lakers best perimeter defender behind Kobe...can defend 1-3 and is arguably the most athletic player on that team and gets you 2 steals a game in 20 mpg...Ariza is like a taller, more athletic, more energetic, better, version of affalo..so basically a different player...

As far as the Pistons go I dont know what convinced Curry to have the offense run through Rip from the top of the key...but I love it...you know what I like best about it??... All the turnovers he's racking up...8,6,5 in his last 3 games...Look Rip just needs to stick to what he does best hitting spot up jumpers, coming off screens, etc....yea he's getting assists but he's getting to's right along with them... Curry is using Rip like he's Joe Johnson, Lebron, etc... I'm sorry Rip is a good player but he's not the kind of player you can just give him the ball at the top of the key and tell him to do his thing
  6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The guy is a restricted free agent this summer. I hope we can pry him away from the Lakers, he'd be a terrific add to the bench.
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Ariza gets consistent minutes. It's not about starting. Aaron Afflalo is the Pistons's best perimeter defender behind no one. 2 steals?! The point isn't even about the comparison of the players (and it's not wide at all) It's the fact that here Ariza would be getting the same treatment as an "Arron Afflalo", and never would have developed the consistency or confidence in his O game or overall game that he has in LA. Players look good when they have the support of the coaching staff and it translates into them not being jerked around.

We have a history of a basic level of incompetence when it comes to developing young talent over the years that has been exemplified by Curry's schizophrenic rotations. You can't yank players after a bad play or say one thing/do another and bench players for inexplicable reasons. I guess you could argue it's better than Flip's refusal to play the young players, but it's still a major problem that is going to seriously hinder any rebuilding effort we are trying to make. And it grates that offensive players get much more leeway on a supposed "defensive" team.

Even when we do the opposite and practically gift minutes to a player like Stuck, we can't even do that correctly. We have Rip playing his position and his own, and basically threw him into the fire with a rookie coach when he wasn't close to being ready.
    We agree here.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Let's take a look.

Per 36 minutes:
    Rip-
    16.2 FGA
    .535 TS%
    4.5 ast
    2.1 turns

AI-
    14.5 FGA
    .505 TS%
    4.8 ast
    2.4 turns

Fairly similar. Rip is a little more efficient. They both get a lot of assists and turn it over a fair amount. Rip's Ast/TO ratio is slightly better. If Rip took 25 shots in a game, we'd average 1.5 points more than if AI took 25 shots. That's a big difference from 1 player alone.

I'd say Rip's defense is better because he's taller and can affect the shots of SG's and SF's.

However, it would be really nice to see AI back again so that we can compare a little more when their roles are reversed. Any word on that? I have the feeling AI will be more efficient when the first string shot blockers aren't out there.
  9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Good to see these perceptions are now getting good play and I like your comparison between these two. You are exactly right.

This team is not coming back in any form next year. Afflalo is much farther ahead than Bowen and you can see what a good coaching understanding did for the latter's career. Afflalo is the best athlete on the team and has the most potential off the bench to be a major influence.
  10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We make two three balls--that is the reason above all else that we lost. In the NBA, if you don't have three point shooting as part of the mix, you are going to lose more than your share. The offense misses Sheed something awful. Consider the LA-Dallas game today. 3 balls galore.

The team is helpless in crunch time without Sheed as there is no on to spread the floor. As the 4th quarter wanes, defenses pack the lane tighter and tighter. It is pretty obvious.

We did get contributions from our young bigs but we didn't get three point shooting. The Pistons need both to win.

At this point, I would rather have Stuckey work on his outside game. That is what this team needs in the short run.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ariza would be an upgrade on a team that is hurting on defense and sporadic atheletism...he is actually ninth in the league in steals per game (and eight in total number) despite coming off the bench. He is bigger than Afflolo, and of course with 23.5 mpg compared to Alfs 15mpg and DNP's, his stats will be better. He is actually better statwise this season than Alf in every category except free throwing...

Of course Phil is not afraid to play any of his players, so scrubs like Ariza, Sasha, Farmar and even luke Walton who may sit at the end of the bench on other teams, play in every game and get 10 minutes as opposed to how Flip, LB and MC have treated our bench players...

I am sure the Lakers will resign him and since he went to UCLA too, he his home here in LA...so it was only as wish after I saw him score 26 today and got the key steal today in the Lakers securing the victory over the Mavs
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Okay, somebody had to do it....

Pistons record when Walter plays: 21-18
    Pistons record when Walter does not play: 12-14
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Is that the whole season, or the last 10 games for Rip?

I'd rather see the Rip games w/o AI vs. AI in Denver last year. Sure there are lots of variables, but at least the ball hogging would be relatively common to both datasets.
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre,

It is easy to play Ariza and the crew when you have 28 year old Gasol and Kobe show up night after night for offense.

If you take Shasha, Farmar, Ariza, etc. individually, you have average type players. Ariza's shot is better but you can't count on him to score late in the playoffs. Yes, Ariza brings a lot of intangibles but lets see what he does when the real season begins.

But the Lakers like all the top teams can three ball to bust a defense that is packing the lane. The Pistons post Billips do not have enough long range shooting.
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

That's part of the problem. The Pistons hit two threes and expect to win an NBA game. Hermann is the three ball guy. But he doesn't score with any degree of consistency.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yep.....
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am not ready to annoint him to take over our bench, but betcha we can't count on any of our bench guys in the real season either, as some of them won't get off the bench unless someone is in foul trouble...remember what happen to Alf last year.....
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is a really great and overlooked point. Curry needs to realize and should have a long time ago. Designate someone as a spot shooter whether it be Prince, AA, etc. It's not even so much the make as it is having someone out there the defense can't leave.
  19. max

max All-Star

I really thought they were going to pull this one out. That 1st half deficit was too much to overcome.

Watching Amir and Kwame out there and Maxiel in the post. I can't help but to wonder if some of out talent has been wasted.

I am starting to lose patience with Stucky. Anyone can bring the ball up and make a side pass to the guy next to you. What is his problem? Where is that desire and ability to drive? We should be seeing more consistant improvement by now. And his defense has been subpar.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That's a 5 game swing right there!

The difference between Rip and AI controlling the ball so much is that A.) Rip is still running plays that everyone knows and B.) he doesn't dribble nearly as much as AI.