Memphis Grizzlies March 15th, 1:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 12, 2009.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons hold the Grizzlies to 32 points in the second half.... and still lose by 5??

Down 17 at the half, come back to lead for a second... and then when it was time to take a lead, MC comes back in with Stuckey who was already a -13 for the game and the Pistons don't score again???

Why he didn't leave Bynum who was penetrating and working good with Rip is beyond me..MC does not know how to coach down the stretch and our clutch players are to burned out to make the clutch play...:ohwell:
  2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I agree that Bynum should have been left in, but to be fair, Will was being iced out by the vets in that 4th quarter. Not able to play his game like he was in the 1st half.

Wouldnt have made a difference unless you think Curry would have actually run the offense through the PG with Bynum on the floor.
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Can't get much more embarrassed than that. The worst team in the league beats you on your home court. And they do it with a guy you gave away for nothing once upon a time. (I know, propaganda has been put out there that we got Stuckey for Darko - but actually, we got Stuckey for Arroyo, Darko was just a throw in - since we already announced we were giving Darko away he had no actual value for a trade.)

We started out badly. A lot of that - I mean a whole lot of it - was poor defensive play by Stuckey. We were down about 20, eventually we fought back and took a lead in the 2nd half.

Big question - why did Stuckey come back in since Bynum was doing so well for us. I have no answer for that one. Stuckey did very little in this game to merit playing in crunch time. He came back in for the last 3 and a half minutes, and continued to do nothing.

Rip had another very mixed game. Poor ball handling often, yet he put it together for 11 assists. Bad shooting. And he never took the game over in the 4th. So in all, not such a great game for him.

Dyess had another fine game, lots of shots made, lots of rebounds.

Kwame was a rebounding machine in this one, something like 14 rebounds. A few points here and there too.

Amir played. Good D as always. And he played plenty. Indeed, no complaints at all today about youngsters getting PT - except maybe Stuckey getting too much.

JAMX started, had a good game on both sides of the floor. He was not allowed to finish the game - as Curry went with Kwame and Dyess to finish the game. Can't complain in this case since they had Darko and Gasol in, and we were matching up ok on the front line. (and Kwame was playing with some great energy in this game.)

Afflalo played extensively in the first half, and while we were down 17 after 1 half of play, Affflalo was plus 1 or so. He plays good D.

The biggest gripe I have with our rotation today occurred in the 2nd quarter, where Curry put in JMAX and Amir as a power forward / center combo. We did badly there. No way either one of these guys is a center. And they had Darko in. So maybe Dyess or Kwame would have ended up fouling out if they had played in this stretch. So what. We don't have to match up with them with two bigs.

The other problem - I don't think either Rip nor Prince had any rest in the 2nd half - while Afflalo was left out in the 2nd half. So we arrived at crunch time with some pretty tired players.

Tay had a so so game.
  6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

from my point of view, and I DON'T hate to say it: I hope everyone is enjoying the return of the old Pistons: baffling losses to crappy teams on the heels of good wins against good teams.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Look to the future, Lazy, look to the future!
  8. LA Dre

Meaningless stats time

Pistons have now lost 32 games for the first time since the 2002-03. The next loss means no 50 win season for the first time since 2000-01 season.

Micheal Curry has brought the Pistons glory down the same way that Rich Rodriguez brought down the Michigan football program....ending positive streaks and records.

Three games in a row now that Pistons have played down to the competition (NY, Tor and Memphis) after handling division leaders Denver, Orlando (twice) and Boston. :confused:

Yeah it would be nice to have AI coming off the bench right now, but the player we are missing is Sheed. Dyess and Max have been playing their arses off, and Kwame put in a good wasted effort/performance today, but those missing 30 minutes from Sheed means that Dice is playing more than he should, and Sheed's his extra x factor 3 ball when you need it, is missing..

No doubt Sheed would probably have taken at least one of these games off too, as he does when we play the bottom feeders, but I think we would have won these last three games in regulation with him in the line-up. He has to be back when we do the Texas Twosome this week.

As Blaha says..."don't look now, but we are a half game behind Philly sitting in the 7th spot....:eek:...and Boston (who lost to the Bucks today) is sandbaggin so that they can play us in the first round:smoke06:
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You know, I could buy that. But its not true. Curry twice put Dyess back into this game for no reason at all. We were doing ok without him both times, with Kwame in, and Curry brought Dyess in for no reason except to add minutes. Heck, even with 4 fouls early in the 3rd quarter, he kept Dyess in and told him to just let them score. Dyess does not need to play a lot of minutes, even with Sheed missing. For years we just used 3 guys up front for our power forward / center rotation. JMAX, Amir, Dyess, Kwame - thats 4. Overplaying Dyess is strictly a coaching decision, nothing more.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Is it possible that this season is the cost of developing Stuckey?

Our recent streak has come with Rip taking the ball away from Stuck and playing PG. At times, you get the feeling the Pistons are trying to play just well enough to keep the seats warm, but contrary to Joe's ever changing story, not doing absolutely what it takes to compete in the playoffs.

I mean, in his recent sitdown with Eli, he said there was no pressure.

Hello, what about the expectations of the fans who still buy Pistons tickets in a bad economy? Expectations haven't gone away, the productivity has.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Developing a player does not always mean playing him major minutes. Anyone notice yet Stuckey makes a whole lot of mistakes on defense, and yet he always starts. He starts at the expense of team unity, wins, you name it. Its propaganda. The Pistons Brass wants you to believe that Stuckey is the brightest and best of our youngsters. Well, he is pretty good, but he is 4th in line as far as being important to us winning games, behind Afflalo, Amir, and JMAX.

In contrast, Amir, Afflalo, of even sometimes JMAX this season is found wanting in something, and they get serious on the shelf time. It don't take much, and wow, they just disappear from the rotation.

Today's game, in terms of player development was a breath of fresh air. However, if you consider how much better we could have been as a team if Amir and Afflalo, and JMAX to an extent, had been consistent minutes all season?

Well, you take away a couple of things - one, Stuckey should have been sat real early in the game, rather than getting the starters treatment of owning those first quarter minutes, and avoiding putting Amir at center, and this one probably would have been a win for us.

Of course, shutting out Afflalo for minutes in the 2nd half in favor of forgetting to rest Rip and Tay did not help either.

As my daughter keeps reminding me, Curry will generally find a way to lose a game.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This one is simple. You don't play Walter Herrrrrman and you don't win. It is that simple.

Worlds were colliding all over the place in this one as Kwame Brown, Darko and Amir all crossed paths.

Solid bench play from Bynum and Brown.

Memphis did a good job on Rip by pressuring his shot with quick athletic defenders from the get go and he never really got comfortable after that.

It is tough for DET to win when their guards struggle.

Curry did not match up to Memphis with Kwame and Dyess at the end. It was the other way around.
  13. roscoe36

I tend to agree Ernie. What is our record when Walter Hermann plays?
  14. roscoe36

But Curry has also won games with the same approach.

So I'm not sure it is a particular, single tactic or person that is the problem. As well as Will GunnaGetMine and Kwame IsAnArmy played, we are not as talented without AI and Sheed.

I think the losses are a combination of the wrong lineups, an inexperienced and stubborn coach (who took 50 games to figure out he should wear solid suits, not tablecloth prints) and a lack of complementary talent.
  15. LA Dre

I am not sure which part you are buying and what is not true, but Curry is famous as was Flip for putting players back in because of name recognition. On the other hand, leaving Dice out there after he got his 4th foul near the beginning of the 3rd qtr was [strike]decent [/strike]good move as Dice scored the next 7 points and grabbed a rebound that led directly to Rip for a bucket and assist for the Dice man.

And then on my other or third hand,.... Stuckey was definitely in mourning of Mr. D as he left Conley open (or was that Rip?)for 2 three ball makes in the first 7 minutes of the game and was clearly out of the mix going 1-7 from the floor with one assist, while Bynum was shooting, penetrating and passing, (whenever Rip would let him hold the rock) :bow1:...I know coaches aren't looking at +/- during the flow of the game, but it was obvious that Stuck was not into this one, (-13 to a -17) so why bring him back in the end? Of course he comes in with the Pistons down 1 and makes a pass to Rip that is tipped and out of bounds....:shout:....that put us in hole where we had to take a three the next time down.

I ain't blaming our TO king >Stuckey but last Wednesday he feeds Dice right under the hoop and it rows off his hands with the team being down a point and then even in the game vs the Raptors, Stuckey tried to feed Dice in traffic in the lane near the end of regulation and that ball was picked off ...Some how or another in these last three games, Rip has taken over the scoring and the dishing, and the players have not been able to catch Stuckey's passes in crunch time.....I know it is just coincidence, but as I stated before, we may not have been in any of these close game situations if Sheed had not been injured...so lets just assume these are losses because we are down two supposed superstars..and call it that.:sherlock:
  16. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

Pistons played some good games throughout the season with different lineups and rotation. The problem is they can't sustain momentum.

I would love to see AI having all the touches Rip is getting the last few games. I thought they could try to play that way with AI hogging the ball but Rip? He's great, i like his style of play but he will be shut down easily come playoffs time.

Kwame played a huge game. I loved a play when Conley couldn't get past him.
  17. roscoe36

Rip gets shut down, because unlike AI, he doesn't draw fouls, but really good point lk#1. AI never got to dominate the ball like Rip is here in Detroit. When he did it last season in Denver, they won over 50 games. I would like to believe we have more talent than Denver did last year.

Oh, and for anyone wondering, I'm not pining for AI. Just pointing out the double standard and double think. Someone should ask Langlois why it's ok for Rip to dominate 50 possessions, but not AI. If the style isn't the issue, then are all of the problems due to personality clashes?
  18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i'd like to see Stuckey used as a Vinnie Johnson type player. He can run the offense or score as a great 6th man. I wish i was the coach! Dag nabbit!
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

good leecap today....all points were on point. I may be get 'ripped' here but i think the reason Rip has had so many assists is that he is really HOGGING the ball. Its like the year Nate Archibald averaged 34 ppg and 11 apg or worse Kevin Porter's 17 ppg/13 apg year for the PIStons. Most think their stats were so high cuz they never gave up the ball unless they were the one making the play. Just an old school theory. Look at Rips FG% lately.
  20. LA Dre

I wish we had someone like Trevor Ariza coming off the bench like the Lakers do......I remember when Lee said he would be good..:ohwell: