Away Memphis Grizzlies Friday, November 01, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I have realized that my night schedule is going to get in my way of seeing many games, but losing by 3 in OT @ Memphis, I will take that. Looking at the box, a slightly better shooting game from Billups and we win this thing. It's not hard to see we're much better than last year. Wait until Jennings is back.
    raw36, BallDon'tLie and KGREG like this.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Tough loss. Some bad luck. Should have won. Bad clock management in regulation.

Some notables. Stuckey, plus 14. Bynum, minus 15. Stuckey looked darn good out there for us. 19 points in his first 21 minutes in the game. But it is waste to run him with Billups. We only need one point guard at a time. Tonight, with Stuckey able to play, he should have started, with Billups coming in for him off the bench. And there was no reason to play Bynum.

Stuckey scored at the hoop, a lot. He also made an outside shot, and a short jumper off a post up. Defense ok.

Yes, we left shooters completely open. Not good. Our old friend Tay burnt us in the end, hitting a triple and a two pointer in OT, in crunch time in OT.

What are the odds of two rebounds in OT bouncing off Monroe's hands.

If Drummond had let that ball come off two more inches, they would not have called offensive interference, and we would be all ecstatic right now. As it is, still happy. We just went to OT in a hostile building, with the refs just maybe not quite calling it fair for us. Against a team that won 56 games last season.

Drummond played 48 minutes. Tons of rebounds.

Smith perhaps shot too many 3's. But he made two, and one gave us a commanding lead in crunch time. Billups hit a three in crunch time too, and yet we lost.

We did not pay attention to details as far as the shot clock. Billups twice fouled a guy to put him on the line. Neither foul was necessary, and one stopped the clock. The other was worse, as giving up a 2 point basket was kind of ok, since they would still need a three. But the foul sent Gasol to the line where he cut it to a two point game.

A couple of times, Bynum went out of the game, and all the sudden we looked good. But Bynum would come back in. Don't see why.

In OT, Bynum threw the ball away twice. He did score some too, but we did not need the turns.

Pope was well positive for the game, and really had a good game, with solid defense and 13 points scored. He even made an outside shot, though not a triple. A fine candidate to have started at shooting guard for us.

Smith showed no ability to score in the post on a standard post up move. Kind of crazy we went with that when we had to have scoring there in regulation.

Well, so close to a win. It hurts, but the next game is Sunday, so soon this bad memory will be erased.

The good memories. Pope looked real solid at the line. Drummond played a ton, 48 minutes, and did not seem tired from it. Most of the game, our front line was beating theirs.

Singler hit the one isolation force.

They say Jennings could play Sunday.

Still no meaningful minutes for Siva, Mitchell. I doubt there is room for Siva, if Stuckey becomes our backup to Jennings. But Singler playing over Mitchell, or JJ getting any time over Mitchell is not right. In this game, the fact that both Singler and JJ are suppose to be better outside shooters than Mitchell helped us not one bit. But we could have really used Mitchell's rebounding and defense.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    brofmfa likes this.
  3. roscoe36

Mitchell is a PF, not a SF. Singler has nothing to do with his minutes.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Entertaining game! Folks, this is a good TEAM! We have a very solid frontline that will defend, hustle, rebound and get points in the paint just about everynight, we have a slew of guards where 1 of them will break out with a great game every third game or so; in the opener Bynum and Billups shined....tonight it was Stuckey and KCP.....I think this will be the trend all year.

As I watched Stuckey play I started to think....maybe Lee is right, maybe Stuckey does make Will unnecessary. STuckey just seemed to play freely tonight, we no longer need him to be what he cant be so he can simply be what he is....an OFF THE BENCH COMBO GUARD who is inconsistent, for the record most bench guys are inconsistent- that's why they don't start.

It's too bad we lost, but I saw this team keep coming and coming and coming, on the road against a very tough-defensive minded team that went to the WCF last year but they weren't better than us, they just have more experience as a unit while our team is still trying to gel. Once (or if) we gel, thi steam is really going to surprise some folks......we may be this years version of the GSW's.
    The Panda, raw36, brofmfa and 2 others like this.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Things that stood out to me,
    Greg Monroe is just a very solid player now, he'll flirt with 17&9+ this year, he looked good tonight but Z-Bo bullied him a few times......but that's just kind of what he (Z-Bo) does.
    Andre Drummond was much, much better with his pick and roll defense, it was an amazing transformation compared to Wednesday, but his on ball defense needs some work. He made a defensive mistake on the last play of the game in regulation that allowed Gasol to get the offensive rebound. A mistake he will learn from.
    Smith takes too many threes, but since he works so hard at doing EVERYTHING else.....we'll just have to live with it. I do think that once this team develops some continuity on offense....more ball and player movement....the 3pt attempts will drop significantly.
    I love watching KCP play! That said I'll be amazed if he can keep his motor going that hard for 82 games/yr for several years.....but if he can....WOW! His shot looked great tonight too!!! I think he'll be better than Tony Allen defensively and have a whole lot more offense to go along with his defense.
    Speaking of Tony Allen......Billups looked tired and Tony Allen looked like he knew he could own Chauncey at both ends of the court tonight.
    I was hoping that we could become the Memphis of the East and the way we stood toe to toe with them tonight...in Memphis, we are well on our way.
    raw36, brofmfa and Lee356 like this.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I find it kind of odd you would post this?I will let you rethink it before I reply.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That being said.....it appears that Josh Smith is going to play more at the SF spot than what most of us originally thought when he was signed. I assumed that ALL backup PF minutes would go to Smith, ALL backup C minutes would go to Moose and that the opportunity for major minutes would be at the backup SF spot. Well Singler is getting some major run at SF, but there are some minutes to be had at the backup PF spot......and I don't think Mo is sold on JJ.
  8. roscoe36

I don't think there is anything odd about pointing out once again, you insist that guys play out of position.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Do you understand what positions Smith plays for us?
  10. roscoe36

So you thought both of these guys would play 40+ minutes a game?

Weird, I didn't think we had spare minutes everywhere and guys like Singler and JJ wouldn't see much run this year. Injuries have obviously changed that, but if healthy, we're deep.

With Drummond playing big minutes at C, we're backlogged at PF.

Monroe
    Smith
    Villanueva
    JJ
    Mitchell
  11. roscoe36

What does that have to do with Mitchell?
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No, I thought that Smith would only play token minutes at SF and we'd have a 3 BIG rotation of Smith, Dre and Moose. But Smith is logging a lot of minutes at SF, the three of them actually look pretty decent on the floor together.
  13. roscoe36

That's what I was hoping for tbh. I'd rather see Smith at the 3 than anyone else, because it probably means we have Drummond and Moose up front.

Put differently, the more minutes Smith can play at the 3, the more we can play Drummond and Moose.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

On this roster Smith is the best SF, and he's actually pretty good. Tonight: 19pts, 8 rebs, 5asts, 3stls, 3 blks.......like I said earlier, he can brick away with a stat line like that! And as bad as his shooting % is/was, it's not like I cringe when he shoots the ball (well maybe twice), he got up 23 shots tonight but he's not really a volume shooter at all.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Josh took 11 three balls tonight (3-11)....I know they left him open, but did Sheed or Laimbeer ever take that many in a game??
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Mitchell can play small forward defensively. Just like Smith. If Smith sits, bring Mitchell on to replace him. If Drummond sits, move Monroe to center and have Mitchell play power forward. Note, if Smith and Mitchell are in the game, the exact role thay play at any moment can be switched. If Monroe sits, Mitchell replaces him. No need for Singler then, who is a bit too weak a defender for NBA small forward.

If you want to rest both Monroe and Drummond at the same time, you need another center. So you would have to trade for one, or use Harrellson. Now Harrellson and Mitchell could come on to replace Drummond and Monroe. Later, whe Drummond and Monroe come back in, Mitchell can slide over to small forward and give Smith a breather. Now, if you want to keep our whole front line together, you have to play someone like JJ or Datome at small forward, along with Mitchell and Harrellson. Of course, Pope could be moved to small forward some.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Josh is essentially the new Sheed. You don't like the threes, but he has a knack for making timely treys and he does EVERYTHING else so well....you just kind of live with.
    The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

And we did not lose this one because of excess 3's. Clock management should have let us get this win in regulation. This game should get everyone's attention the next time the coach starts talking about how to get that clock to run out with some of your lead still left.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I never got the feeling that the Pistons played all that well tonight save for the 3rd Q and they still hung in there.

Stuckey did look good and it did seem to settle him to be 1 of 5 playing. He, Smith and KCP looked strong, fast and athaletic in that 3rd Q run. I don't think Stuckey can keep the pace up at the 1 enough if they're not forcing turnovers. I think that hurt them in the 4th.

I liked that Cheeks subbed Bynum in for Stuckey with 4:45 seconds left in OT. Lots of teams do that.

It is pretty obvious that Smith is going to shoot. He doesn't seem to care if he's open. I wouldn't care if he shot 100 3's if he were stepping into them. They were covering him with Miller which is why they were going to him in the post at the end.

KCP absolutely has to play, he was great. He's going to fill out too!

The floor seemed awfully crowded out there. Memphis is a good team and they did a good job of taking the Pistons strengths away.

Tay was really pouring salt in the wound twice palming the ball away while the Pistons futilely swiped at it as the game ended. He just needed to glare into the camera to tell us to go blank ourselves to finish it off.

Is Conan O'Brien one of the Pistons assistants?
    Lee356 and roscoe36 like this.
  20. roscoe36

Josh Smith is a top 3 defender at SF in this league. Tony Mitchell has played a couple preseason scrimmages against scrubs.

We're back to where we were 7 years ago. The team is relatively deep now, so you will ask for everyone to play 20 minutes so we can start rookies over All-Stars.

No, play Smith at the 4 and Jorts at the 5. Or go small with 2 PFs like JJ and Smith, Smith and Villanueva etc.

I know it's your dream to see Siva and Mitchell play, but I doubt it is in the cards.