Away Memphis Grizzlies Friday Nov 30 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can't believe this city has an NHL hockey team.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm pretty there are no cities with NHL hockey teams right now.

Laimbrane likes this.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[​IMG]

Mogilny likes this.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We lost to the team with the best record in the league and if not for the 22 turnovers, the game could have gone to the wire They beat us even with my fantasy stud Zebo, having a subpar game.

Speaking of subpar, our guards didn't really have it tonight. Stuckey was 3 of 11 from the field and Knight was 3 for 9 with six turnovers and no assists.

Let's hope that we can get the Mavs tomorrow with the style of play that paid off in the last two games.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons did all right tonight. Conley played well and gave them a lot of trouble.

This Pistons have the same problem they've had the last few years. There isn't a lot of difference between their 1st and 2nd string guys. Knight plays as well as Stuckey and Stuckey plays as well as Knight.

I don't think the Pistons would skip a beat if they switched roles.

KGREG likes this.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Monroe and Tay competed at the next level. No guard play again. No half-court offense. Drummond needs to eventually step in and play along side Monroe to match this type of team up front. The good news is Monroe is showing signs that he will be an offensive force and a serious piece.

The Pistons will have to draft a guard this year and find a scorer.

The team just gives away a lot in inexperience. On one play, Knight was down and instead of calling time out, he threw the ball away for their fast break. Broke Piston momentum at the time. There were other similar plays.

Does any team get less from its veterans than the Pistons in these type of games?

The Pistons should try and muck up every game with defense. This game was still a good effort on that end. This team is not designed to score a lot of points in general.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Coach did ok. Not great. If he had subbed in a shooting guard for Singler when Singler got into foul trouble in the first half (instead of Stuckey giving us zero chance to score with no shooting guard who can shoot in the game), and left CV in just a bit too long at one point, hey, it would have been a fine coaching job.

GM evaluation. Why did he bring Maggette in? Lots of young, promising swing players, and Maggette is taking their minutes. We could have used a better defender tonight.

Monroe used his speed to get past Gasol a couple times early, and all together, Monroe had at least 3 reverse layups in the game from post ups. Not a bad game really. Between him and JMAX (mostly JMAX) Randolph was held to a fairly miserable night. Really can't say our big man play was the problem tonight. Of course, CV can't defend really, but when their star front line was in CV was pretty much out.

Guard play. We always had a point guard. And except for a totally wasted 4 minutes or so at the end of the 1st quarter, the point guard had a shooting guard in the game. In fact, our second unit for a good amount of time featured 3 good outside shooters, although only CV and Singler made any of their 3's. Maggette missed his, and that hurt us. (Small sample though - really, the whole team wass missing their shots from distance - except CV.)

Knight made several mistakes, unforced, even when he had no reason to make an error. Not really a good game for him. I suppose though, life could be a bit easier if Tay was replaced by a strong 3 point shooter in the starting unit. But hey, that starting unit once again came out the gate ahead, and they eliminated much of a deficite to begin the 3rd quarter. I checked the boxscore, and Knight was only minus 3 in this game. So the setup continues to work. At least to start games.

Got to hand it to the Memphis bench. They made their shots. But then again, we could be a whole lot stronger on defense. For instance, Drummond only had one foul in this game. Nothing limited his minutes except the coach. Why does coach feels he needs 3 shooters in the 2nd unit, but only one for the starters? Kim English can knock down 3's, and play D. So we could have been running a 2nd unit of Stuckey, English, Singler, (Monroe or JMAX staying with the 2nd unit), Drummond. Way more of defensive unit, but still with 2 shooters for spacing.)

So in all, yes we had problems keeping the ball in our hands, but the coach - and GM - could work to keep a bit better of a product on the floor for us fans to root for.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This was actually a pretty good game. It showed who we are. We played hard, we played decent defense. But we don't have great guards or perimeter shooters. Max, Monroe, Singler, Tay and to some extent Stuckey are who they are; Knight is the inconsistent wild card, if he plays well, we're a playoff team; if he sucks-we suck, it's just that simple. Had we taken care of the ball we would have been OK but with 2 PG's playing awful........it is what it is. Games like this are how Will Bynum stays in the rotation. When you play as poorly as Knight and Stuckey a coach is very tempted to go to Will and in those situations Will plays GREAT! I guarantee had coach gone to Will when Knight and Stuckey were stinking up the joint, Will would have responded with one of his epic performances.....thus cementing back into the rotation where he would revert back to sucking at PG with regular playing time.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

When you review this game in slo-mo, watch Singlers overall defense, it was AWESOME. Some of his plays had me jumping up screaming, "Thatta boy!" He played GREAT help defense, he rotated well, he switched and recovered well too. If the coach could get that same effort from all of the guards and Greg Monroe (as you well know Max does all of that every game) we'd be a tough team to reckon with. Singler's BBall IQ is off the charts!

linwood likes this.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

So we close to 3 twice and they immediately start their run to 7-10 then Frank calls the the T/O.
    Why not stall at the 5 pt. [they scored] down to enhance the Dee to get the tie ? [to stop their run]

11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

0 assists and 6 TO for Brevin Knight and the Memphis announcers kept repeating "he just wont pass" when Stuckey had the ball. It's hard to win against one of the top teams in the league with that at pointguard and also being the color commentator probably didn't help Brevin.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

You had me so messed up reading this that I first though, I'm surprised having that other Knight announcing the game wasn't screwing me up and then I sat here trying to remember his name when you were giving it to me all along.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

I'm not 100% sure why, but Mike Conley reminds me a lot of Brandon Knight. It took him awhile to seperate himself (somewhat) from the pack, but as the DetNews pointed out this morning the Grizzlies success has coincided with his emergence.

14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I thought BK7 had made a breakthrough in the last few games. He had broken through an imaginary wall and was headed toward greatness. Then, last night, he broke back through the wall the other way...and now he's on the other side of the wall again. But the wall has a hole in it now so it will be easier for him to break back through it again.

15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The kid is young and therefore inconsistent. Guard defense he faces was relatively weak and it made him look good. As he improves, he will deal better vs. better defensive pressure.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, I can see that already real time too. Singler is proving a better defender than I imagined him for. And very versatile - if he gets stuck on their power forward, yes, he has a size disadvantage - but he at least fights.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I know Knight did not have his best game. But yet, I must point out, that Knight is part of our starting unit, and our starting unit came out the gate in each half playing very well. Actually, one of the best overall games when just looking at the start of each of the halves. Knight did not play all bad.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What's most impressive is how when he gets switched, he fights and competes, but when the ball is reversed or moved he really hustles back to the original match up and doesn't get lazy. Singler is playing the best defense that I have seen from a Piston since the Wallace X's 2 era. Which explains some of our success with this starting lineup. Max is a great defender, Singler is playing great defense, Tay is still a decent defender; if Knight can lock in we're pretty solid. Monroe still struggles.

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

we were a step slow all game, they got the lucky bounces, their hands were quicker, their shots were falling. we would need to be perfect to beat a team in this zone.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

the commentators name was Knight ?????
    what ?