1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Home Memphis Grizzlies Friday Jan 20 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 20, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2012.
  1. Detroit

30.8%
  2. Memphis

69.2%
  1. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

It must be really frustrating for guys like Monroe and Knight to try so hard to get their team to within striking distance of a win only to see guys like Austin Daye and Jason Maxiell play stupid and throw it all away.

First off, good job by Brandon to put the team on his back like Slippy said, getting them to within 7 of the Grizzlies after being down at least 20 to start the third quarter (with help from 2 BG triples to start). He was really, really aggressive on both ends, very encouraging. Also shot 10 for 10 from the line.

Moose was his usual self. Not the best game shooting-wise, but he was a presence on the glass. Frank sat him at the end of the third and kept him there for eternity. Wrong move. I thought he should have been brought back once it was clear we needed more than whatever ish Max could give. We needed rebounding, desperately. The lineup to start and end the fatal fourth quarter was ridiculously deficient in that area.

Austin Daye...this guy is hopeless. He had a nice help side block at one end only to throw a bad pass for a turnover trying to be fancy, again. The guy had 4! turnovers in 18 minutes. Both Moose and Brandon had 4 in twice the playing time. I know he's trying to prove himself to Frank, but man, that's not the way to do it.

BG was okay. He only took 6 shots, but was 50% for the night. Was also 2 of 3 from 3 point land. He wasn't forcing the issue so much, though he did have 3 TOs.

JJ...I don't know with him. He tries to make the extra pass way too often, instead of just taking the shot. First, this resulted in Greg getting called for 3 in the lane, the other a very, very costly turnover. He needs to be more aware of the clock and his teammates.

Walker Russell Jr. wasn't a negative. He's by no means a Will Bynum type black hole, so he's ok in my book so far. He did make a mistake passing to Max in the post while surrounded by Grizzlies (Max fumbled the ball, turnover number 4 in the quarter) but I put that down to not knowing guys' tendencies yet.

Tayshaun was like his old self. He wasn't pressing, he didn't try to be the man. When Brandon took over, he took his opportunities when he had them and helped trim Memphis' lead.

I liked the effort in the second half, before the inevitable Fourth Quarter Collapse. I like that both Greg and Brandon are so competitive; that bodes well for this team. They're not going to be the guys who laugh it up on the bench when their team is getting blown out. Plus they came out fighting after being embarrassed in the first half, so that's a good sign, even if they couldn't sustain it.

basketbills and max like this.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Recap pt. 1: We suck.

pt 2. Did you see it? Knight got aggressive. Like he was tired of getting pushed around. You could see it in his D. You could see it in his drives. Then it was like the whole team stood up together and decided they were going to give back all that Memphis was handing out. As if Knight catalyzed something that fed into Monroe and JJ - who were always giving it all but then somehow found a way to dig in deeper and move a little quicker. We played good defense in stretches but this time, we played TOUGH defense. When we got those stops as we were making a comeback Mason should have called out DeeeeeeTroit Basketball!!! Going to Work era style. Because that's what it was. Tough D. Imposing your will on the other team. In this scenario, Prince was getting things done. Gordon hit a pair of 3's.

Then Knight got his pocket picked and had to come out. We turned over the ball a bunch. Memphis hit some nice shots. And we were back to our normal crappy selves again. Fragile. Tentative. Weak.

Still, I liked what I saw. Plus we lost. That was the important thing.

Warthog and alexa032 like this.
  3. Slippy

Milicic, Delfino, Daye...I like to root for the lost causes on this team. I'm hoping Daye cracked out of his slump. Looked like the game was moving too fast for him. At some point, you gotta come up with a loose ball or a rebound...soemthing besides shooting.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gasol has the most boards for them with 6 and they only had 3 offensive boards to our 13, so rebounding was certainly not the problem.

They shot 56% from deep and 57% overall.

We shot 44% and turned it over 25 times! I remember watching a 2 turnover game for the Pistons a few years ago.

So far on the season, Knight's assist to turnover ratio is 1.0 to 1.0.

Usually, a 4:1 ratio is reserved for the elite- maybe 3 guys in the league.
    A 3:1 ratio puts you in the top 10.
    A 2:1 ratio puts you at Rodney Stuckey level- i.e. score first combo guard territory
    A 1:1 ratio means that you're in the company of guys like Boozer and Melo. There are no point guards anywhere near this range.

His turnover percentage is worst on the team at 22.8% (percent of Piston's possessions that end in a turnover by him while he's on the court).

Knight's offensive and total win shares are 2nd worst, at -0.4, only ahead of Daye. His simple rating is the worst on the team (except for Villanueva).

And defensively at the PG spot, it's been a statistical disaster. His counterparts average 24 points on .600 shooting with 9.3 assists per 100 possessions when he's playing the PG spot. They average 35 points against him when he's at the SG spot though, but with a smaller sample.

However, his eFG% is 2nd best, only behind Monroe. And the weird thing is that he's actually assisted on 58% of his buckets while our center is only assisted on 54% of his.

All in all, he's showing that he has the ability to score, but his turnovers are out of control and he's not creating much for his teammates considering his position. Rodney Stuckey has just as many assists as Knight and he did it in 170 fewer minutes. Our starting center only has 5 less assists than our starting point guard on the season.

Since he plays tall he likes to slash and likes to shoot the 3... and doesn't run the game like a PG, I'd suggest that Joe found us another undersized shooting guard.

He seems really talented, but if he doesn't grow out of this and mature as a PG in the next 2 years, the negatives will outweigh the positives.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I love this Memphis team! Wow, they are easy to like. Total body punchers save for Rudy Gay. I got to start watching their games. They've got sick hands.

I wouldn't mess with Tony Allen if I had a machine gun. He joins the My Favorite Guys team (and might be the captain) along with Steve Jackson, Joakim Noah and Delonte West.

Speaking of my favorite guys, both George Blaha and Special K made awkward and/or outdated comments about "handsome young boys" tonight.

The Griz have so many scrappers that they make Jerebko look like Engleberg from the Bad News Bears. Not a lot of Austin Daye-like guys on that squad either.

Knight took some shots early on tonight that he barely missed, 1 dribble long jumper types, that got me hopeful. He has definitely been improving and I like his competitiveness.

It is just depressing seeing Gordon in a Piston uniform. I feel bad for him (and me).

The team was more fun to watch with Walker Russell Jr. playing in place of the Rod Stuckey's of the world. There were some gruesome lineups out there at times, but I enjoyed the randomness of it.

I though it was cool when WR2 scored his first bucket and most of the bench, led by a standing O from Will Bynum, applauded him. Stcukey and Charlie G did not move.

Blaha said that Stuckey sat out tonight because of exhaustion. Was he joking? He played 45-46 minutes combined the last 2 games.

The thought that scares me the most about the Pistons future is that Brandon Knight turns out to be a player, but not a full time PG and it sets Joe off on another 8 year at all cost search for another guard that can make it work.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

He's had some horrid 1 to 4 like stretches for multiple games, but I think he has been doing better the last 4-6 games or so. He doesn't seem to be an assist machine though.

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Based on the recaps, I am glad I took the wife to the movies to see Red Tails (Great Movie by the way) instead staying home to watch another poor performance by the Pistons. I watched a few minutes on my smart phone while waiting for the movie to start and could tell that it would be a long night for the Palace pretenders. May as well skip watching it on my DVR.....Pistons going no where fast...

8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

The assists are down across the board because we havent had anybody catch and shoot in what seems like an eternity. With the obvious BK at the 3 pt line. Bk has had some nice set ups and watched Tay and the others either pass up the shot or miss or dribble out the assist. I think his turnovers are when he is forcing and that is true with any rookie tryin to win by himself. I dont know how we can judge this kid with the group he is put out there with. Aside from the bouncing it off his teammates heads as was the joke in another thread? Isiah would have a hard time racking up assists on a team that loves to pass up the open shot.

9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Looking strictly at who's best at running an offense, WDR might actually be the top player on this team today.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

We did score 11 more points than they did in the 3rd quarter.........:)

Problem was they scored at least 9 more points that we did the other 3 quarters....:bigeyes:

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

it was a definite switch in his demeanor...he was looking to attack every time and force them to stop him. on the defensive end he was intense. and the crowd actually responded. that 3rd quarter was a brief flash of what this team might be capable of in the future, and it was fun to see.

i really like memphis's squad...they play hard and they are all over the place on defense...great on-the-ball defenders and solid team defense.

12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Here's the thing that I keep seeing more and more, and really liking it: Monroe and Knight are getting PISSED! They are getting angry and calling their teammates out when they blow a play. I like this. Here we have a rookie and sophomore who are taking ownership of this team in a way nobody else was able to do since Billups' departure. I like this.

Prince taking 13 shots when Gordon only attempts 6. What's wrong with this picture?

Limited sample size, but it seems to me that Russell can give us what Bynum does and then some.

13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Vernon Macklin was +4. That's getting it done. :biggrin:

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For the two and a half quarters I saw, the Griz reminded me of the 2003/04/05 Pistons. Mean, angry guards just shutting down the opponent's offense.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Tony Allen is an animal. I was like a lovestruck teenager watching that game.

16. Slippy

Tony Allen was almost out of the league with a knee(?) injury. Good to see him make a comeback and play very well. Memphis ran something that we never do. It had to do with multiple guys cut down the lane.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I thing it's called "Runnung with the Bulls". Can get ugly at times.........