Memphis @ Detroit... Jan 27th

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by mercury, Jan 25, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25-16.......................35-5

Palace of Auburn Hills, Mi
    8:00PM EST
    Radio: WDFN 1130AM
    TV: FSN Detroit

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

VS

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Hey just another game we have to get as the saying is going this year. I mention last night that the word of the year in the Pistons camp is Gaudy. Gaudy in the record the Pistons bring to teams night in and night out. 36-5 sounds better than 35-5 so this game will be sold out as usual and with each win it gets special and special.

BUT the Grizz are playing some good basketball and they would like nothing else but to come in here again and embarras the Pistons. I know all my Pistons brothern know what happen last year when Memphis came into the Palace and destroyed the Pistons. They were celebrating like they won a championship and they were on top of the world. So it is up to Detroit Pistons to come in and just take care of business.

This game does not need to be a blow out or some brutal bashing just a win and I believe it will be a great game Memphis does matches up well and Paul Gasol is the truth. I believe it will be the same type of game they had in the first meeting in Memphis I'm picking Detroit to win 90-86 in a good D game. GO PISTONS 36-5 looks even better!!!!!!!!:laugh:
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

This will be a very tough game. Tayshaun needs to show up.
  4. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Now, the question isn't whether the Pistons can beat this team, it is a question on if they feel like it. I hope they feel passionate for a win.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Memphis played us tough last time. It took double OT to beat them.

This might be a rough game for us, coming off of OT last night. Memphis played last night as well, but their starters played significantly less minutes.

Obviously a winnable game for us, but definetly not a lock.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

They reached 100 PPG... very impressive... who'd a thunk that was possible after the last three years... even more impressive is the almost 10 PPG differential.

I think Chucky got our attention last time... we'll see if Arroyo can do a better job.
    Gotta keep Sheed on Gasol (too long for Ben).
    Expect a solid game from Tay & Chauncey.
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh, never mind. I'm drunk. I thought the game was tonight, not tomorrow.

It should still be a tough matchup, but the lack of rest won't be an issue.
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I agree. They are a very good team even without Stoudamaire. With him I would rank them among the top 5 in the West and pretty even with Phoenix though that opinion might get a lot of disagreement.
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

This will be a slow down game by Fratello, so I expect the starters to go 40 Min each, with the next game being sunday. This will be very old school. like me. Memphis isn't so tough, but Fratello's philosophy is. Miller has been red hot off the bench, but they have shabby point guard play-hence signung CHUCK-CHUCK-Chuckee Atkins. Ben wallace will have a 15-15 game tonight as we win ....again...78-73!My bruddahs!
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Maybe 88-83.....:nod:
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm being a good son and taking my mother to the game. now the pistons haven't lost this year when my buddy and i go, so if they lose you can blame it on my mom :D
  12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I agree with keeping Sheed on The Sasquatch for the reason you stated, but expect the Sheed technical counter to tick up one tonight. Gasol is fairly athletic and Sheed will have his work cut out guarding him. Expect some Sheed frustration.
  13. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in this game being on FSN. I thought all the flashback fridays would be broadcast in HD by WB20. Vinnie is the only one that won't have his night in HD.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chats open folks....
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

just got back from da game - finally a playoff atmosphere in the final few minutes, and the pistons delivered again!! go chauncey wow!!

i thought there were some pretty lame calls during the game - like the 2nd delay of game...but sheed played great D on gasol to start the game, and we came through in the end. mo, like he has the past few games, has made an instant impact the 1st time he gets in the game, and really sparks the team. dunno what else to say!!
  16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

It was the Wallace's show for me. Did you watch Ben on the move here and there before that key block? That is what wins games. And Sheed hits the offensive glass like no other in crunch time with that key tip. And how about his defense underneath? I have been pushing Pistons offense since last season when things weren't right and three ball all year long but it is that Piston athleticism on defense that seperates us from the pack. That is DEEEtroit basketball. Micro, I know you must have loved that late defensive surge! Man, did Memphis have our offense scouted well. They were really into our sets. Still, we can't be totally stopped this year.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons avoid the 35-5 Tiger jinx of losing three straight afterwards by grabbing the first of three potential toughees. They have looked like Tigers though lately by pulling out these "ninth inning" victories over the Rockets, Bucks and Grizzlies. I know Gasol and the Czar wanted this one bad.

CB has been a monster in the last three games played being the third qtr hero vs the Twolves, the OT hero vs the Bucs and hitting the 4th qtr big shots tonight vs the Grizzlies. If he scores 15-20 pts and gets at least 8 dimes vs the Kobes on Sunday and we win, he will be EC player of the week for sure. You can take that to bank!!!
  18. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Pretty much called this game right on, Chuancey Billups is just giving us Pistons fan something special to look at. The Pistons are on the run that is so special that we have to savor this.

So if anyone does not have league pass I invite you to go out and get it don't miss another game because seasons like these don't come every year. This team is worth the $109.00 which is what the cost is right now if you do not have league pass.

This game just instill the belief that another Championship run is in the hands of this team SO go out there get league pass if you can and don't miss anymore Pistons games. GO PISTONS!!!!:)
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game report

Ok, been a long drive home. I am exhausted from yelling all game. Man I wanted this one in the win column, and it seemed there was a bit more energy in the Palace than usual. Chants of defense and lets go Pistons abounded.

In the end, CB hit the shots, and the Pistons starting five got real tough on D. Gasol quit hitting those little flip shots he uses. Not a jumper. Not a hook. Maybe you call it a push shot? Anyway, they quit going in and guess what? Memphis did not seem to have anyone else with the guts to shoot the ball.

36-5. Great. The Pistons don't care a darn. All they care about is the game Sunday. But us fans care. A lot. But now that we beat the 35-5 start of the Tigers, hey, I just want to see preparation for the playoffs.

Tay, I am sad to report, has lost confidence in his outside shot. Keep shooting Tay. Passing up open shots is not going to help us. Shooters shoot. Be a shooter. Then again, with Delfino out, it has been problematic getting Tay enough rest. It was the 3rd in 4 nights tonight. In pregame shoot-a-rounds, Tay seemed to struggle quite a bit with his shot at first. I was wondering if maybe he was a little leg weary? Nothing in the game said otherwise.

Rip gave us some scoring. Hit another 3. Sheed was off inside but hit some outside shots. (and missed lots too.) Dyess only gave us the one bucket, right? Evans had a score off a scramble for the ball, and not much more from him. (Although he played for a good long stint in the 2nd quarter, spelling both Tay and Rip somewhat. He played only about 3 minutes though in the 2nd half.)

Arroyo came in and immediately the ball was finding its way right to the basket. Again and again the play was inside. We did not end up getting ahead of Memphis while Arroyo was in, but we played well enough for those 6 or 7 minutes to keep the tie game a tie. Arroyo, using that dribbling skill of his, was basically setting up shop right inside their gut. In the 2nd half, we lost our lead while Arroyo was in, but I can't say I saw anything Arroyo did that caused this. Billups came in at that point, and Memphis stayed hot, going up 6 before we got the game back in control a bit.

The bench rotation in the 2nd half was sparse, with Arroyo coming in really early in the 3rd, about the 6 minute mark, and Evans playing his few minutes in the 4th quarter.

At times, it seemed every time the Pistons stiffened up their defense, we would end up knocking the ball away, but it would get picked up by a Grizz player and they would score. It all evened out though down the stretch, with the loose balls all going our way finally.

Also at times, the Pistons just flat out were slack on their D. Letting guys waltz down the lane. Not jumping out on their shooters. Guys like Mike Miller and Atkins, hey, you don't let them shoot unchallenged shots out there. If they use a pick, the big man has got to show. Yes, this kind of thing happened, but not for most of the game.

To start the game, we were stuck at around 6 points for what seemed an eternity. Yet, we were not down much. Our defense was doing fine to start the game.

Defending Gasol was the big deal for us in this game. Sheed started on him, with Ben doing a lot and Dyess a bit too. Gasol could not be played off of, as he kept draining those high arcing shots of his. You played up on him, and he would drive you, and make sure there was contact. The refs kept giving him the benefit of the calls on that contact, even where Gasol clearly stuck an elbow out. It seemed the refs started to just ignore the contack toward the end of the game, acknowlaging finally that Gasol was the one creating most of it. At that point, we had the game won. Cause the outside shot finally quit falling, and without bogus calls from the refs it turned out that Gasol's inside shots missed also.

Darko got in for one minute. He did nothing. He defended Gasol one time, resulting in Darko fouling Gasol hard and sending him to the line. A pattern continues where if Darko is in the game, he gets attacked hard. (Not trying jumpers over him, not trying to drive around him. I mean going right at him hard.) Hey, keep playing the guy, let them keep attacking. Experience is the best teacher.

Note, the next time down we had Dyess I think gaurd Gasol instead of Darko. Darko does not need to have to be able to stop a guy like Gasol to be able to play a bit.

Well, thats about it for this one until I study the tape. Any comments about what I perceived are welcome and let me know what to look for when I review the game. Man 36-5. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator