Memphis Dec 21 8PM

Discussion in 'December 2007' started by max, Dec 20, 2007.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I was not impressed with Amir either. Looked like he reversed all of that good vibe that he had going a few nights ago. I do think it would be pretty easy to get discouraged in that lineup he was in though. Lindsey/Rip at the guard spots is a notorious "stand and watch the guards shoot 20 footers off of ZERO ball movement" lineup. The bigs end up just standing around waiting for one of them to shoot it before they can go back to the defensive end.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm with you, Max. Listless is a "perfect" word to describe him. Amir has become the pet player of some posters so they're going to defend him as much as possible even when it isn't warranted.
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Actually one of his buckets in the first quarter was a quick jumper as CB got him the ball off a screen from Dice--it was strikingly Rip-like. The tantalizing thing about AA in this game was how much versatility he showed on offense.
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

If he missed a lot of them I can only imagine what our other players missed.

I am biased but it is all a matter of perspective and likes and dislikes.

For example last night Bynum got a career high in points in 21 making as I recall 8 of 9 shots.

Now most of those were dunks. Not the earth shattering ones but mostly two handed.

But what I had noticed with him before and saw more of it last night because of all the dunks that he had were two things which only one of I recall having heard maybe one commentator commenting on but have seen anyone have written about him on.

The two things that I noticed were.

1. He can read interior defenses and he knows when to roll to the hoop. (only one of his dunks was a put back and I don't recall any being on a fast break).

2. He has great hands and can catch and throw down anything he can reach within 5 feet of the basket.

The point being and I am in no way discounting what you are saying about AJ based upon what you saw is that we tend to see that which interests us and the other things we just ignore.

Based upon the fact that he had only one block last night and what everyone has said about his play last night, it seems reasonable to say that he did not have one of his better efforts.

But the fact remains, that despite the many missed opportunities and I am assuming you are referring to missed rebounding opportunities, he still wound up with more rebounds per minute for the second straight game that he has played in, than any of our other players. That is a fact, not an observation. So while he may have been listless last night he still managed to rebound at a pretty decent rate of more than 1 every 3 minutes and it is only going to get a lot better.

Inconsistent play for a 20 year old does not surprise me at all.

I have seen AJ and Maxey play like all of us have and in my opinion AJ will never be the glass crashing player on offense like Maxey, nor a one handed dunker like Maxey. So to a lot of people he will not be as exciting to watch around the glass as Maxey.

Again, I am not disputing what you saw and the validity of your comments, but just adding some other observations and opinions to them.

:hoops:
  5. buddahfan

I am sure you are referring to me.

I am not saying he didn't look listless because clearly that is what it is and he will have sub par games like all players, especially young ones do.

What I am saying are two things, that in spite of his apparent listlessness he still:

1. wound up with more rebounds per minute than anyone else we played.

2. he played mostly in the 4th quarter when we held the Griz to 13 points, their lowest quarterly point total of the game.

Those are the facts.

How many rebounds did Maxey or Brezec get last night? In 19 minutes combined they had 3 rebounds, whereas AJ had 5 rebounds in less than 13 minutes. So clearly Maxey and Brezec missed a lot more rebounding opportunities than AJ did.

6. ggazoo69

The Grizz did score 13 points in the fourth quarter. Who did they have in there? Their best players? Game was pretty much over. They didn't care.

AJ had three fouls in 13 minutes, too. That was more fouls per minute than anyone else. Amir was also +4, the worst on the team.

objective - Definitions from Dictionary.com
  7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Minus the Injury, AJ is right where I think Dumars and Flip expected this year. He is getting regular mins, I don't think Dumars said he would be in the regular rotation. He is super young with loads of potential and needs playing time to get better.

However were not an expansion team and were trying to win games now, and we have 3 very young players getting into the rotation right now.... Its not going as fast as some of you seem to think it should, and you can throw stats out to prove your points.... my stats teacher in college once said you can make stats say whatever you want them too.... you hate a player you make him look bad, you like a player and you can make him look all world (lee with arryo's assist to turnover margin for example) AJ's future is looking great but lets not give him the MVP award just yet.

Enjoy his great moments, and understand that he's going to have lots of bumps along the road.... He's playing, he's learning, and might even be ready to help in the playoffs this year, but thats not a given yet.
  8. round

example from those stats.... he must be the man on the way out.. worst on the team we should cut him right?

Pick a view and somebody can find the stats to back them up...
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

wow. wow wow, wow wow. i'm not sure i can go back to my normal seats after being on the floor!!!! this was such an amazing experience, and it's impossible to describe what it was like to be 5 feet from the court. it was a little difficult in the 3rd row, because everyone's head got in the way and you couldn't always see what was going on (kind of like the thrill of a roller coaster, but there's a big difference sitting in front), but it was incredible nonetheless.

my buddy and i got to the game extremely early and watched the players warmed up. we also had some dinner, and the waitress was extremely nice. the food and drinks were very reasonably priced and we got our food in less than 5 minutes. i got a turkey sandwich and i think there was practically a pound of meat in it. even the better made potato chip bag had a Pistons 50th season logo on it and in the corner it said 'DEEEEETROIT POTATO CHIPS' ! you'll see it on my pictures.

anyway, for warmups, the younger players were out there a lot more than the starters. all of the rookies and the 2 new guys (herrmann/brezec) had to do a lot of running and suicides (not at full speed but still running). brezec was especially winded. for those who are wondering about murray, he was there for warmups. i'm guessing he didn't realize he was inactived and didn't have a suit. you'll see in another picture that one of the assistants looks just like cavs coach mike brown.

after awhile the players came out for pregame. they showed video in the hallway, and a bunch of the guys picked up lindsey off the ground (i think, hard to see craning my neck up at the jumbotron) while rip pummeled him with jabs. the singer for the national anthem did a great job and was pretty hot too. one girl who sat near us looked like Megan Fox from the side (you'll see from pictures) but wasn't nearly as attractive. one of the refs was chatting it up with the fans, and yeah.

so the game started and it just flew by. the first quarter ended and i thought only a few minutes had gone by. when you're sitting that close it's difficult to get a flow of the game, see who is and who isn't playing well, be cognizant of the score, or even know who is winning. you're just so sucked in by watching and listening to the players. there wasn't much emotion in this one - the pistons were all business. they were a little lazy in the 1st half, but memphis showed nothing...there was no fear of losing this game, which is probably why amir got time in the 2nd quarter. again it was difficult to evaluate players from where I sat, but the biggest problem i noticed with amir was his footwork on defense, and lack of strength. he seemed flat-footed and late to recover or react to what his man was doing, and got pushed around a bit. i wouldn't say he was disinterested or anything like that though, it's just that he's very young and still very raw, and still learning the game of basketball. if the playoffs started today i wouldn't feel comfortable giving him any time, but he could definitely contribute if given time for the rest of the season. he's still got excellent physical capabilities and should have a bright future.

afflalo was simply, THE MAN. this was by far his best game as a piston, and he single-handedly got the crowd fired up. combined with stuckey being back, tonight he locked in playing time over murray and secured his spot as rip's backup for the rest of the year. while none of us know what goes through saunders head, i would be absolutely shocked if aa went through another game without getting time in the 2nd half. that is what you call playing your way into the lineup. this guy has pistons' DNA and his hard work is paying off. this was a perfect pick by Joe, and shows why picking late in the 1st round can pay off. look at jmax, prince, and afflalo - college guys, winners, and you know what they bring to the table. they were 'safe' picks but you KNOW they could contribute. aa just has so much body control, never forces the action, has a high basketball IQ, and plays incredible defense. he clearly bothered mike miller tonight and anyone else he was guarding (even though miller had a definite size advantage). his 'hop step' that stuckey also likes to use is borderline traveling, and the memphis guys were complaining about it, but the refs were explaining that they thought it was okay, so fine by me. near the end of the game memphis was inbounding in front of us and afflalo was facing us right there, and a guy called out to him and said 'hey arron, great game love the confidence', and aa glanced at him quickly and gave a little smirk. it was cool.

stuckey looked great in garbage time, and his defense was impressive. the pass to jarvis hayes was sick...seriously. i had the exact angle where my head was aligned with where stuckey was looking, and i have no clue how he saw jarvis or threaded the needle to get him the ball. that was all i needed to see to know that this guy *can* play the point for us, and do a good job.

brezec is really working hard to try and get in the lineup. that ball he dove for was sweet, because he clearly wasn't fast enough to get to it first, but he kept it alive. the crowd loved it, and they loved when he finally went for his own shot and drained it. let me stress that this is a LARGE MAN. he looked at least 3 inches taller than sheed when they stood next to each other, and he's also pretty wide. when we talked about playing nazr against bigger centers, i think brezec could fill in just the same. now i'm not saying he should get a lot of time, or that he looks all that impressive, but if we need him he's there.

other random observations about the game: gasol gets angry a lot and looks funny squatting on defense, darko looked atrocious and disinterested, mcdyess continues to have passes deep in the paint bounce right off his hands, i swear my favorite automotion girl was checking me out (or could be my imagination haha), fans didn't do much heckling around our area, the players are chatting with the refs constantly, memphis couldn't score in the 2nd half, and our bench just dominated their bench. our bench defense was suffocating, and memphis couldn't score. their bench sucks.

so here's a link to the pictures and video i took. excuse some of the poor quality and grainy pictures, but i just got this camera and had no clue how to use it. plus people's heads got in the way which screwed up the focus. for the videos (labeled VIDEO_* at the bottom), please please PLEASE right-click and save as, rather than view it in your browser. thanks!!!!

Index of /images/pistons
  10. buddahfan

It doesn't matter who they had in there. They are NBA players.

Find me another game in which the second unit was held to 13 points in the 4th quarter of a game.

I am not saying he didn't have a sub par game, but in spite of that he still rebounded better than any of our other players on the court last night except for maybe Dyess.

Just like all players, especially young ones, he will have his share of sub par games.

Our starters and bench played lousy the whole first half. We played lousy against Utah and Chicago in three out three games this year and AJ did not contribute to that.

In my opinion the critique of AJ is aimed more at me than it is at him.

11. ggazoo69

Not at all. I think Amir has tremendous upside, and I think he can help the Pistons. But I'm not fixated on Amir, constantly clamoring for him to get playing time. I'm more concerned with what's good for the TEAM, not what's good for one player. He helped the TEAM last night by coming in in the first half due to foul trouble. I was glad to see it, frankly. He has the POTENTIAL to make up a strong, bench contingent.

At this point, however, I'm not ready to say the guy's gonna be great. One thing I like, and Joe D has obviously learned, that this kid needs to get some burn when it really counts. Not just garbage time.
  12. ggazoo69

Actually, I think of you and AJ as one and the same at this point, B.
  13. buddahfan

I would say that this is probably a fair and accurate assessment.

14. buddahfan

Suite yourself.

15. buddahfan

I would say that this is also a fair and accurate assessment.

16. round

sorry for not being more clear i was following my previous post and was being sarcastic that from the stats you showed he was washed up just like from some stats folks say he's ready to start and play 30 mins a night.... i agree with you totally.
  17. buddahfan

Believe me I am not fixated on AJ either.

I am not even fixed on Danica, though you may find that hard to believe.

I love Hot Rod's game and AA's game just as much as AJ's I also love Bynum's game and Jordan Farmar's game.

I just post more about AJ because I know how much work he needs to do to get anywhere near his potential and it has been three years since he left Westchester high and is now only starting to get some minutes with us and the experience needed to progress.

It like Rick Porcello. I think the guy has the potential to be another Josh Beckett and am excited as heck that he signed with the Tigers, but I am not fixated on him.

What I am fixated on are my financial investments which I don't discuss on this forum or with anyone else.

18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Wow, best HogCap ever! Keep getting those tight courtside seats, dude!!
  19. buddahfan

He can add to the effectiveness of the second unit this year, that is for sure.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

KGreq
    "Man this is so sweet, Joe Dumars reloaded the clip while we were still firing shots off,"
    Ah, blanks in the last 2 ConFinals.