McGwire is a Liar!

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Jan 12, 2010.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I'm probably a bigger baseball fan than anything else and McGwire's performance last night was embarrasing and sad. Another sign of steroid use is one's thinking that they are immune to criticism and invincible. How he can sit there and say that nothing he took 'improved' his statistics and performance as a hitter were ridiculous and ludacris! His average went from .249 to .270 and his atbat per homer ratio went down from 14 to 8. THATS CRAZY!!
    Steroids turn popups into home runs and bloopers into doubles. More players were able a hit a low and outside fastball for home runs than ever before. It is not a coincidence that homers are back to normal now.
    Mark McGwire had a portion of I-70 in Missouri outside stLouis airport named after him. He has brought shame and embarrassment on an entire community and generation. I'm not suprised about the truth , just the way he went about telling it.
    Its like a person saying they stole a car but didnt mean to drive it.
    He should be banned from baseball.
    Restore Roger Maris and Hank Aaron's records.
    Oh...and Bonds....youare next.
    Because the devil always comes to collect!

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Baseball players turned into comic book characters for a few years there. The bats looked like whiffle ball bats in their hands.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Straight up !
    -
    But let's not get to full our ourselves.
    Baseball is a game of enterainment to the fan.
    What fun is a season if we don't see cork go flying once ?:MusicBigGrin: :sssh:

4. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

Im getting real tired of hearing / reading about the steroid stuff. I really could care less. Now im not a fan of baseball but, I mean come on all the people saying that McGwire stole their money or some such. That he defiled the game or whatever.. thats just dumb. He was a skilled hitter with natural talent. If you give steroids to someone who sucks at baseball... lets say me for example.. I will still not be able to play the sport.

sure steroids make you stronger (if you actually use them right).. But I mean whos to say what people should do with their own bodies. I mean althletes do stuff all the time to improve their perfomance, such as working out, eating a proper diet. Taking workout supplements (creatine, arginine, heck even multivitamins)and no one says anything.. I guess what im saying is that baseball like all other sports is for entertainment purposes first and foremost and if them taking steroids makes the athletes do incredibly entertaining things.. (the home run race for instance) than I am all for it.

Id like to make the point that Lebron James is a freak of nature(I wouldnt be shocked if it came out he was on the juice later) and even when his team is owning my favorite team I can still enjoy and appreciate the incredible feats he is capable of.

Its not like you couldnt make the point that basketball has or is turning into wwf 2.0.
    So why not give everyone roids and watch vince carters dunks be made to look childlike.. at least Id have a good time watching it happen.. and it wouldnt be lessened at all if I found out the guy Juiced.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yep, the only reason he's comin' clean is cause he's got a job.... he can cry all he wants... he cheated the game and knew it was wrong.

"Restore Roger Maris and Hank Aaron's records."... good call HQ... completely agree with this.

When will Bonds admit his part?

6. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yes. They should restore Aaron's and Maris' record. McGuire and Bonds are frauds and throw A. Rod and Clemens in there, too.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

A feew random thoughts...

Seems to me that the commish likes McGuire and holds him in high esteem, but Bonds is Scum.

Always thought that Bonds was very unfriendly.

McGuire Much more friendly.

Bonds was a shoo in for the HOF without even thinking of steroids.
    Sad he may not get there.

McGuire was an afterthought til he juiced up.
    Wonder if he'll get there.

Aaron was the MAN when I was young.

Maris was hounded by hate due to trying to break Ruth's sacred record.

So was Aaron, to an even greater extent. That's why I appreciate both men.

8. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

McGuire will get much more sympathy than Bonds, but he is still a cheater. I can't stand Bonds....the ultimate jerk. McGuire came off very poorly when he said that the steriods and HGH did not give him an advantage in hitting the homeruns. If the substances helped him stay healthy then it did contribute to his inflated homerun numbers. I really want Maris and Aaron's records returned. The cheaters do not deserve them. Clemens and Bonds will not know what hit them once the feds get them. They really want both of them for lying. Could happen to better people.

9. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How can you go about just restoring the records? What about team records, division records, league records? It's just not that simple.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They found a way to do it with Michigan basketball.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What a bunch of asses fans can be, hating on Maris and Aarons stats.
    We go too far.
    Personally I'd like to punch Favre in the nose.:sssh:

12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It will be like Mcgwire never even existed. Like that NASA engineer on Capricorn One.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Aren't you contradicting yourself?

14. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well Michigan Basketball used cars and jewelry to enhance performance, so it's a different game.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

McGuire is probably guilty of that as well.

By the way, what is he going to tell guys as a hitting coach when they only have half the bat speed he had? His advice will be nonsensical.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't Roger Maris break Ruth's home run record by getting to play in 12 more games per year?

If that is not an unfair advantage................

17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

BUT Ernie, it was WITHIN the rules. Like the 16 game football season.

Also, all records can be restored. Its just numbers. Like removing wins from a college program. If a player confesses or is found guilty of cheating, I feel an asterik should be placed by his numbers and his numbers removed from the list. So, McGwire can say he hit 583 homers,but it just wont be listed on the alltime list.

18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

At the height of his fame from the single-season record chase in '98, McGwire had about as good a reputation as anyone in baseball, maybe anyone else except Cal Ripken. He and Sosa were the guys who "saved" baseball, etc. But the testimony in Congress destroyed his reputation faster than anyone else I can remember, except now maybe Tiger Woods.

And now that McGwire's talking again, he's revealed himself to be a complete idiot. In a relatively sympathetic column, Jayson Stark pointed out that McGwire contradicted himself at least four times in his interview with Bob Costas:

A lot of people--including Stark, in this column--say that they think people will forgive McGwire, etc., but I don't know. The guy really has no credibility at all, and while a lot of fans probably are "past" steroids in some sense, I don't think it's so easy to get past it or "get over it" in the case of a guy like McGwire, whose career was so completely defined by being a home run hitter but is also defined now by steroids.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That seems valid to me. That's why you need to use per 36 at bat numbers (and I know it's unrealistic that a player would get 36 at bats in a game, so don't pm me about it.

20. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

You're forgetting that also the temperature of the earth has gone up since the days of Ruth. That will help the ball travel farther as well.