McDyess

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Oct 23, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

Someone help me out here. From what I have seen so far and its by means conclusive until the pressues on, I believe Maxiel has a good chance of helping us out more than McDyess this season.

Maxiel plays near the rim, skies for boards, blocks some shots and plays with a heck of a lot of energy.

I know Dyess has the experience but he seems to have settled into a mid range shooter and often is prone to foul trouble many times on silly off the ball offensive fouls.

What am I missing here about Dyess? Is it time for a change? The guys has been here for 2 seasons and just does not seem to be what we need off the bench.
  2. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Max may sky for boards, but he doesn't actually get them. He's never been much of a rebounder (in college, last year, and this year most of his boards are offensive--he's getting killed on the defensive glass). Max has some horrible timing for blocking shots too.

If Max can get the defensive boards and play passable defense he might overtake Dice eventually.
  3. max

max All-Star

Yes but Dyess has not exactly been a shot blocker or rebounding machine for us either. And Dyess is about as good as he is going to get after his comeback.
  4. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Dice has proven during the regular season what he can do, while Max hasn't done anything. I'm sure if Dice believed he had to go all out during preseason to win minutes he'd be doing more, but he doesn't. Maybe he's lost it, but it's more likely he just hasn't locked in yet.
  5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

mcdyess hasn't exactly been called upon to do that for us. he does rebound well for us he will be a 10 rebound player for us if given the minutes. with the foul trouble from nazr i think dice will get all the minutes he can take. i think mcdyess is an underrated defender. mcdyess isn't as good as he can be because there was that other guy here. watch his numbers improve all across the board this season.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think all of the regulars are in coast mode... that needs to change quickly.... I don't think we can single out Dice without looking at Rip, Sheed & Chauncey (to a lesser extent Tay)... sub par at best so far.

There were times last year that Dice looked like Ben on D... I'm serious I had to look closely to see who that was...
    but this is something to watch for sure... hey, if Brahma is bringing it better than Dice then go ahead and make the move... it can be a gradual transition.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So far this preseason, we have had some of our best results with Dyess at center, and Amir Johnson and Jason Maxiell at forward. Dyess has looked pretty mobile, full of energy. And Dyess has hit the few outside jumpers he has taken. No way I see any conflict between say Maxiell and Dyess both getting their minutes. I believe Mohammed is the guy who will lose to minutes to both, (as well as Dale Davis and Amir Johnson).
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Gotta consider how compatble the players are... if you have all shoot first guys in there the defense will key on the guy with the ball.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Which is why I like Amir Johnson so much. The guy has a very high basketball IQ. Notice, Amir does not take shots that are not there. He simply does not miss much. If he does not have a shot, he passes the ball off, and quickly.
  10. max

max All-Star

Dyess just seems a bit too unreliable. I agree his defense is more refined but Maxiel is bigger, stronger and has a long wingspan. He can learn.

Amir Johnson should also be given some time this season. Defensivly he can be a decent shot blocker for us, make the other team think before going for the hoop.

These guys have the potential.
  11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I like Dyess, however, he sometimes makes horrible decisions with the ball and the most silliest tic tac fouls I have ever seen.

I agree, Dyess usually plays away from the basket and is insistent on shooting those fadeaways and little jumpers. I like Maxiel in the paint, he can learn to be a better rebounder IMO.
  12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

the main thing that frustrates me about mcdyess is he doesnt go up hard anymore! he used to dunk on anyone at will in denver. but now if he gets an O-board he doesn't even consider going back up, he just runs away and passes it back out.

if his knee if 100%, why so timid?? yeah he might not have the hops he used to have, but thats got nothing to do with going up strong. you can be 5'6 and still take it to the rack!

i think thats what everyone has been loving about j-max. he'll dunk on your face. nice guys finish last dyess... (except for that one year the admiral won)
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's like he's lost his nerve. His swagger.

I think he is a liability if you are going to count on him in key moments of big games. Just my opinion, but his best days as a Piston are behind him.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Losing faith in McY D?... the Dicenator... Slice n Dice...Snake eyes?
    :hand:
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sometimes you get a gut feeling. Like the Pistons won't re-sign Ben, or that Darko's days are numbered, or that the Pistons should sign McDyess as a free agent.

Sometimes, those feelings are not good ones.

If I am wrong, I will gladly stand up and admit it.
  16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems like a lot of your gut feelings have been bad lately Roscoe. I get the feeling you aren't too optimistic about this season. Filling the void in the low's absence maybe?...
  17. max

max All-Star

I am just trying to figure out why Dyess is so untouchable. All the coaches swear by him, his mins are never at risk and his play is never questioned.

Just does not seem like it has been working out here as much as I had hoped. I kind of expected output at least on par with that Corliss used to give us. And its not like Dyess is an exceptional defender or has a high bball IQ.

One thing Dumars does want Maxiel to play.

Delfino, Maxiell part of Pistons' future
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is the pessimistic view of our big men.
    Ben- left b/c he thinks we're soft.
    Nazr- starving from the Holy fast... hands of granite.
    McDyess- Old has-been with 2 previous knee surgeries.
    Sheed- Mysterious groin injury, volcano ready to erupt.
    Davis- Injured, hasn't seen meaningful PT since Stephen Jackson bought his second hand gun.
    Cato- dropped like a moldy donut... now writing children's book #3.
    Darko- had all of his sports cars shipped to FL. Massive sun burns from sleeping on the beach during practice.
    Samb- setting a cardboard cut-out pick somewhere in Europe
    Glynnysaurus- eating folliage with several birds gathered on his back.
    Amir- Got into the NBA before he was ready to avoid the new rule that would have forced him to attend college.
    JMax- Has all the properties of a blackhole except for size.

But I don't believe a word of it.
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Amir's is definitely wrong. He got to the NBA before he was ready because he didn't have the grades for college.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's what I'm saying. He would have been forced to go to college, which would have been a problem for him.