Breaking News Maurice Cheeks FIRED

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by McQuack, Feb 9, 2014.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Josh is a hard working, tough player with tons of talent. He just doesn't seem to care about efficiency and therefor needs a coach who does (or puts him in a position where the J's aren't as available). He's had great seasons without nearly as many perimeter attempts. There is a reason his market value is/was so high.

J-Train, KGREG and lapiston like this.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I believe that Gores acted mainly because of what he saw off the court. I don't think Joe acted alone when Cheeks was hired or when Jennings and Smith were signed. I think they've had him on a short leash for some time. What you have, though, is a guy with a reputation of turning failing companies around. If you read about those and watch some reality TV. If you have a solid business plan and its still not working out, you have some dysfunction in your organization.
    Joe D is an institutionalized guy. Like a long term union employee. He's labor friendly. He's a nice guy. He'll hold on to guys that are not helping (CV) at the expense of the culture. Gores is more nimble. The talent in the lockerroom is playoff (weak eastern c) worthy but they work as a random collection of athletes rather than as a team.

There is a problem with the organization's culture and it points to Dumars but if you take his body of work, no matter how onerous the last 6 years have been, he's still more successful that 80% of the franchises out there. He may not deserve to stay until the end of the season but if I'm aware of my brand, I keep this legend until the end of his contract. Nobody who wants him gone today will quit the team because next summer when they hire a new GM they didn't do it 3 months earlier.

jzchen, brofmfa, The Panda and 3 others like this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Very nice, post Mr. Slippy. :thumb[1]:

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe reminds of me...well that is what some of my peers say...I have 12 direct reports, and my boss would love it if I fire at least 4 of them. I put them on performance action plans and when they survive, he asks what did I do to help them get off of it. I have some superstars and I have some that should released.................but I need warm bodies to do the work and sometimes I would rather put up with the problematic employee until he rights him/herself instead searching for a replacement in their territory that takes several months and the rest of the staff has to suffer absorbing their work until we find the new person.

With that being said, it's annual performance time and I have to turn back to my other laptop and finished up these last three evaluations before HR starts yelling at me...

...and by the way I am not going to create a Dumars Appreciation placeholder, but one thing that must we must remember, the Pistons have gone to the championships five times and won 3 of them. Only Joe and Mike Abdenour have been there for all the successful glory....so we maybe mad at him now, but we will always appreciate what he has done for the franchise...

kpaav and linwood like this.
  5. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I'm ashamed to admit I was starting to find the Pistons a little boring.....but they were! It's exciting again, with the change there's excitment in the air again. We won against the Spurs handily, they were winning the whole entire game, before I was thinking we didn't have a chance in hell of beating them, new coach jumping up and down all over the place, Sheed sitting there way more visable, players seem to be more up, I think it was a good move. I tried to be on the Cheeks bandwagon, but he always seemed so, I don't know, dim to me. And I love reading all this stuff about which new coach everyone thinks we should get, Laimbeer especially, I would love to try that move! Just let us try it one time.. One time is all we ask. I actually stayed up and watched all the post game stuff, and it's been a long time since I've found all that interesting. Can't wait for the game tomorrow night......

Woody likes this.
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'm going on a limb here, but I think Sheed moving to the front bench with better views of the cameras has a lot to do with this. :smile:

The Panda likes this.
  7. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Walter, you know me too well.......

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I always liked doing performance evaluations at the Bar. By midnight...nobody got raises.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well of those four employees on the hot seat...one of them won't receiving a merit increase or bonus.....he is my BoT

10. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I love the way you run business and I would be more than happy to have a boss like you Sir. That's the way of the world.

Nemo and LA Dre like this.
  11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This might be correct in many ways. For sure, Sheed always loved his correct profile and the cameras will be kind to hide that white reflection off the top of his head. Drummond seems lost too much of the time on defense (Ahem, Sheed) and big men have a field day going off on us. More corrections need to be made.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[​IMG]

Walter likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Why are there Canadian flags everywhere? Is this some kind of pride thing?

del likes this.
  14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

It's a side effect of the maintenance. It should clear up in a few days.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's not fair, the entire country is one big ice rink.

Pretty good job earning a medal at all I would say if we can win one more.

17. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

The Panda and linwood like this.
  18. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It's fair enough to say.

roscoe36 likes this.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The women's final was amazing. It had so much drama.

20. max

max All-Star

roscoe36 likes this.