1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Matt Millen

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Buckeyes#1, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Do you think Matt Millen should have received an extension? Although Matt Millen has done a horrendous job in my opinion for the first few years, I think he has turned this ship around. I think he did too much with the scalpel too soon. But I am very pleased with how he has drafted. What he did to Cleveland was borderline thievery. I think Matt is a winner who will not be satisfied with anything less than a Super Bowl. I think Mariucchi will definitely need to produce some w's very very soon or Matt will be looking elsewhere. So yes, I wish Matt had learned his trade on some other franchise but I was glad to see the extension.

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Millen

I think a 5-year deal was too much. Maybe a 2-year deal. Problem is, the Fords are businesspeople, not sports people. They wouldn't want someone signing them to a short-term deal. I think they want to give Millen some room to operate without having to look over his shoulder. Now if Mooch would just open up the offense . . .

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Joe Dumars contract expired this summer and he was not given an extention before his contract expired. Joe has put together a championship team and has won 1 title and was close to winning a second one. Why not wait until the season was over before Millen's contract was extended? Based on the performance of the team then give an extention. Why reward a guy when he is not producing wins?

SAME OLE LIONS:frusty:

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Winless Wonder

Because that would make too much sense!!!!!!

Lions ownership--------------->:der:

5. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

Double edged sword

The GM needs a long term contract to be effective, but then you face the spectre of not being able to enforce accoutability, without throwing away money.

Fortunately in this case, Millen, while terrible in hiring coaches, is actually great at drafting talent(even if it's unproven).

So, I guess I have to say that you have to extend him, but you also have to have him enforce accountability all the way down to the ball boys.