1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Mark "The Bird" Fidrych dead

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Apr 13, 2009.

1. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

During the one year that 'the Bird' pitched, I made the trip down to the Motor City more than any other season. I tried to time them to catch Mark, and did several times.

Had I known he was to do his thing only one season, I would have made much more of an effort. He was great to watch.

Ewell Blackwell of the Cincy Reds was the only other pitcher who was so radically different that I remember him so well.

I will always remember that curly hair all around his baseball cap.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Looks like Bird got his clothes caught in something spinning and it choked him to death.
    Did anyone hear stories of his brain not being right ?

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not a good way to go.

If you ever see an industrial shredder, you'll notice a little icon that makes it clear that you shouldn't get your tie caught in the machine. I guess this kind of stuff really happens.

4. max

max All-Star

We would have had a few extra championships if he had stayed healthy. Can you imagine what it would have been like to have had him and Jack Morris on the same staff.

5. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Hey, Max. Altho I would liked to see Jack and Mark together on the same team, I have to believe that on some level, Mark would have driven the very serious Morris right out of his gourd.

He would have been ready for the loony bin by the time it was over.

6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

True Berbs, but it would have been an 'OLDER" Fidrych and a 'YOUNGER" Morris(and dont forget Dan Petry) so I think It would have all balanced out.