1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Magic & Twolves

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Nov 11, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Better them than us. He looks like he was abducted by aliens.

Carlos Arroyo photo

Top row, second from the right.

2. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

True Hoop: Leon Powe Sees NBA Action

Great read about a guy who has been through hell. It was a battle of hard luck street kid Powe vs. tough as nails war survivor Darko. One for the ages.

4. max

max All-Star

Did a quick scan of the Magic Stats that makes up their 5-3 record. Looks like they are sustaining it by shooting over 50% as a team. Other than that they have deficits in Offensive boards, Huge deficits in Turns, Assists and Steals. The only category they lead in is blocks. They also have a very thin points for/against lead of 1.0.

Does not look like a winning record is going to last based on their overall stats. Shooting over 50% as a team is not sustainable.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The reason that they shoot a high FG% is that 41% of their shots are close to the rim, as opposed to 30% for the Pistons. And a good % are monster dunks by DHo.

They also out shoot us from long range by 47% to 43%... probably because they have guys camped out in the post that demand double teams.

I think that they will probably sustain close to 50% for the season. But yeah, the turns are hurting them.

6. max

max All-Star

Keep in mind Phoenix lead the league last season with .479. I don't know how far you would have to go back to find a team shooting near 50% for an entire season.

7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Max, as the season progresses and D12 learns how to pass out of double-teams, and they get used to the new ball, the TOs should drop and they will not need to keep 50%+ shooting to sustain them.

If and when DMC gets his PFs under control, his PT will increase and he plays well with D12 and might help keep some of the doubles off D12.

As TayShawn said in another post, it makes us appreciate CB.

8. max

max All-Star

Spoked like a true fan. We can hope that one area improves when the other comes down to earth. Again I have not seen any Magic games but based on their stats the high FG% is whats standing out as explaining their early season success.

I am kind of an anti-magic fan this year because I want the Pistons to get a decent pick out of it.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It has been done 54 times in the past 60 seasons. However, no team has done it since the Jazz in 96-97. Funny enough, the 2nd to last team to do it was the Magic in 95-96.

Another way to look at it, is that it was accomplished 53 times in the 18 year period between 1979 and 1997.

Almost every team on the list was in the 80's or 90's. Since the leage is changing the rules to get back to that high scoring crap, then I don't really see that it is out of the question for them to sustain it.

The all time record is held by the 84-85 Lakers with almost 54.5%. The 88-89 Pistons shot 49.4%

10. max

max All-Star

Do you think they are that special that they are going to get it done?

I am biased, I admit that because I would rather see the Pistons get a good pick than watch Darko develope. But shooting over 50 for the season is expecting a lot.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Magic shot pretty well last year after Stevie Franchise left the team. So I don't think that the high % shooting is a fluke.

Nelson, Turk, Dooling, and Hill are all good outside shooters. But Howard really makes a difference with all of the dunks. Also, they are not nearly as 3-happy as Detroit.

Whether or not they can sustain a 50% mark depends mostly on the way that the games are called. If every touch is a foul, then the % will be a lot higher.

It is also possible that the turnovers and high shooting % are correlated. Maybe that make risky passes that lead to easy buckets. If they make safer passes, then they the shots will be more contested. Basketball is a very tricky sport to seperate correlation from cause-effect.