Magic Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by Lionsloser07, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Lionsloser07

Lionsloser07 Second Round Draft Pick

I have always been a pretty big fan of the Orlando Magic, even though I like the Pistons more. The Magic are probably my second favorite NBA team for some reason. I like their will to win, especially Dwight Howard's. They just seem to me like they are always on the balls of their feet ready for action. Anyone feel the same way?
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Even though Darko and Arroyo are no longer with the squad, this dynamic duo set Orlando on its path for greatness. Their value to this franchise will never truly be appreciated.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

True. Darko was in some ways more talented than Howard and it created some jealousy. The end result of this was that players wouldn't pass to Darko and his 48 minute stats suffered as a result. He did lead the team in AOTG, though, during his time in Orlando.

As far as Arroyo is concerned...some folks called it overdribbling, I just called it a whole lot of talent.

A guy named Darkofan on the MagicMadness forum was the one to point this out to me.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't remember what AOTG stands for.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It's assists off the glass. You probably remember Darko would, a lot of times, deliberately miss shots in order to provide teammates with easy scores.
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is that what he was doing? I'm glad we have seasoned Piston-watching vets such as yourself on this website to point out these kinds of things that escape us casual Internet fans. :MusicBigGrin:
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Nope. Don't like the magic. The best thing they did was take darko and give us the pick for stuckey. And while Jameer is a comendable player, I dislike him. I suppose if I was a team fan he would be great but as an opponent, I can't find that level of respect for him.
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I heard that they had a team vote on this and Darko got the short end.
  9. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

welcome to the forum!

I gotta say, though, I really can't stand the magic and I have a really really good, rational reason for it: I hate all teams with mass noun nicknames (Magic, Heat, Thunder, Lightning etc.). No self-respecting old school franchise would have such a name. Drives me nuts. go figure.

[Mass nouns (or non-count nouns) differ from count nouns in precisely that respect: they can't take plural or combine with number words or quantifiers. Examples from English include "laughter", "cutlery", "helium", and "furniture". For example, it is not possible to refer to "a furniture" or "three furnitures". This is true even though the pieces of furniture comprising "furniture" could be counted. Thus the distinction between mass and count nouns shouldn't be made in terms of what sorts of things the nouns refer to, but rather in terms of how the nouns present these entities.]

But like I say, welcome. Professor
  10. Lionsloser07

You know, now that I think about it, i don't like it when teams do that. Like the Tulsa Golden Hurricane. They should just be the Golden Hurricans.
  11. max

max All-Star

I would say my 2 other teams in the East now are Toronto and Atlanta.
  12. Lionsloser07

Toronto? Interesting. How come?
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I say, this has got to be the best reason to hate on a team. :skull: coincidentally, I'm not a big fan of those either. Except for the Lightning. I don't have an opinion on them.
  14. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanks Slippy! In part, I think of it this way: as a kid, I could dream of being a Buck, or a Blazer (I was born in Portland). Others could dream of being a Piston or a Knick or even (for some weirdos) a Celtic.

But who can dream of being a "heat" or a "thunder" or a "magic."

It's just wrong. [strike]And God told me so.[/strike]
  15. Lionsloser07

lol
    So, I guess nobody likes these team names like this.
  16. max

max All-Star

My sister lives in Toronto now and is a mild Raptors fan. Besides, they seem to annoy me the least as far as opposing teams go. I also get to see some of their broadcasts on the Canandian station.

With Atlanta - I just like their current players now more than the other teams.