1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Magic acquiring Vince Carter

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Walter, Jun 25, 2009.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Turk has opted out. If the Magic just swap Carter for Turkoglu then it's a net loss for them, especially after losing Battie in the trade.

It all hinges on whether someone is willing to open the bank and provide Turkoglu a big payday. I don't think he's worth anywhere near the $10m he says he wants (he's walking away from $7.4). He'll also be looking for years - this is his chance to score some bucks - his next contract, if there is one will be for less.

Tough times to walk away from $7.4mm, but if his agent believes free agency will pay even less next year with a possible cap reduction then it might have been his only choice.

2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

this... and did i miss the memo about playing with 2 basketballs at once?

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

They were saying that about the Lakers while they were accumulating 3 Championships in a row.

This isn't your fathers oldsmobile we're talking about here.

Literally each and every option that Dwight Howard has to pass to in the instance of a double team will bust the living crap out of you, and each and every one is capable of pump faking and taking it to the basket effectively.

4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

the min that that lakers didn't win a title we also saw what happened... howard was already complaining he didn't get the ball enough.. I just don't see the magic taking a step forward with this move, i see a step backwards.... and also this isn't the vince carter of 5 years ago either...

the same thing can be said in cleveland, Shaq.... can he take a back seat role on and OFF the court.... remember those two were back and forth abit last year with the kings skit drama...

5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Good points...until one of them wins a title, then everyone forgets the nonsense and jumps on their respective jocks.

See the pattern?

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Look, Carter has an incredible skillset.

But he's an emotional basketcase at times. He completely checked out in Toronto to force a trade, so he's not a KG grade competitor.

Plus, every once in awhile, he will just decide to stand at the 3 point arc and jack up errant treys. If you pass him the ball, covered or not, he will jack it.

And he's a mediocre defender.

If Carter plays his heart out, I can see him overcoming his bad habits.

But it's always been his heart that is the question.

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

All of that is true.

I really dislike Carter for those reasons.

This situation he is going into though, is unique in that they want him to stand out there and jack up those three balls. Turk, 'Shard, Nelson, I don't care too much for any of them as b-ball players; however, the system in Orlando seems to be the perfect one for them to excel in.

Providing Orlando keeps their vow to exceed the cap in order to retain Hedo I think this move could be short term great.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They are bringing Carter in to play the 2 not as a SF, yes?

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm pretty sure that's the case. If they resign Turkey, he plays the 2. If they don't resign Turkey, i'm assuming Pitrus slides into the SF spot. The only other option at 2 besides VC is JJ Redick so yea.