Maggette has Michigan Ties

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 6, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It appears that Maggette's wife (Milli Martinez) is from Imlay City. Check out the article, it may be a selling point for Maggs to join the stones.
    by Kevin Arnovitz, 08/18/07, 12:09 PM

[​IMG]

Corey Maggette and his wife, Georgia Tech athletic standout, Milagro "Milli" Martinez Maggette, are donating what residents of Imlay City, Michigan are calling "Milagro Field" to Imlay City High School.

"When the Maggettes, who have family in the area, learned that the school was having trouble raising the money for the field, she and Corey decided to donate it", said Diana Day of SFX Sports, a spokesperson for the couple.

The amount of the donation is not being released, Day said. The donation will pay for a two-story press box and concession stand, two cement block dugouts, a tile infield, new scoreboard, customized backstop, batting cage, fencing, two sets of bleachers and a full irrigation system.

2. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Interesting!!! Certainly can't hurt that the MRS. has family here. I just hope Joe D. puts in an offer a real offer meaning the full MLE. What do we have to lose?

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nice find Army.
    It would seem that Maggette would go to a team that could promise starter type minutes and more than the MLE... It sounds like the Warriors are making a pitch (which could free up Pietrus).

4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I wonder would Maggs be satisfied coming off the bench behind Tay, or would Joe D do a sign and trade for Tay and pick up Pietrus as a backup, that would be awesome.

5. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Magette has not shown the ability to shoot on a consistent basis which would be a problem.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Magette can drive and get to line,,something that our big men or anybody off the bench has not been able to do (other than Stuckey this season) since Corliss left. Maggette may not have the three point shot of Posey or even Hayes, but at least he is not afraid to drive when points are needed and everyone else is throwing up jumpers..

At least make him offer Joe, whether he takes it or not, it means you are committed to thinking about winning instead sitting on your hands...

9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Amen to all of that. Getting Maggette for the MLE would be a steal.

Thanks for the info AG. Hopefully his better half will put some pressure on him :D

10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Not sure Magette's strength of getting to the line is good enough in a playoff situation. He has had some success on a weak team in the regular season on the drive but he is no Wade or even close. He may wind up with the ball in certain situations and have to shoot the jumper which would negate his strength.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Exactly. Although, if we haven't already he would probably be more inclined to the teams that have offered from the start. I hear the Spurs are the front-runners.

12. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 First Round Draft Pick

I'd like him here as well in the D.

Joe D, get it done!!

13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

14. ocellatus

ocellatus First Round Draft Pick

Offer him the full MLE and the starting small foward. Tay can come of the bench or be traded. If this didn't work trade one of them at the trade deadline.

Billups/Stuckey/Hunter
    Rip/AA
    Maggette/Prince/Sharpe
    Max/Amir/Dice
    Sheed/Samb/Ratliff

15. LA Dre

if our to chief competitors in the Cavs and Celtics are willing to offer Magette a full MLE, seems like Joe should be able to do the same for would be possibly an impact guy instead of some maybe guys similar to Hayes/ Mo Evans who turn out to be playoff scrubs,

I mean James Jones, CJ Miles?? These guys probably couldn't even beat out Fabio for a guaranteed dressing every night.

I say offer the MLE to Magette and Posey and who ever calls first sign and let the Celtics and Cavs fight it out for the remaining guy.

As someone mentioned, Magette can give Tay a run for his money as it relates to getting to the hoop and cashing in a the foul line. Magette has already said he would come off the bench for a contender so it is a no brainer?? After all, what are 2 of the 3 things everyone says we lack every year?? A slasher and someone to back of Tay.. well the guys who fits that bill has his significant other a Michigan native and that maybe plus in our factor....after all who wants to work and live in Boston or Cleveland???..can someone text this message to Joe so he can take care of business before he gets out to Vegas..

16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Maggette was in the top 3 in the league at getting to the foul line last season. He adds another wrinkle to our offense.

17. max

max All-Star

Its very tempting to go after Maggette if he is interested. Impressive 22 PPG scoring with nearly 6 boards a game.

Drawbacks are his injury history. I think one has to assume that he will miss 10-30 games in the regular season with questionable health for the playoffs but who knows. We have had luck with injuries.

Thing is at 6'6" he is really more of a combo 2/3 and we already have an all star calibur shooting guard. I would still take Rip over him. Plus if Prince moves to the bench where would that leave Stucky?

Everything being the same signing Corey would go along with the usual Piston trend of benching the young prospect in favor of your FA pickup.

But who knows. A guy like Maggette would be very hard to pass on.

18. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

I've watched Maggette play a lot. I live in LA. He can score. He shoots too much, however. He will take it take it to the rack and get to the line. He is not a good defender. He wants to be "the Man", start, finish, and take all the big shots. His attitude is poor when he is not doing all of the things he wants.

I am not sure how this helps us, unless we are scared of him going to one of our Eastern conference rivals.

I doubt very highly that he is considering the Pistons. Too many unknowns as to the roster and role definition for a guy who is tired of not knowing his role.

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Truth is, he doesn't help us. Everyone looks at the fact that he scores 22ppg, but do you see hom many mpg he plays and how many shots he takes per game. He hasn't shown he can be a complimentary player if neccessary, he has shown that he can be THE MAN on a bad team. Pietrus is amuch better fit, Posey's the most ideal, but he ain't leaving Boston.

20. LA Dre

Agree that his defense is not as good as Posey's, but I would take him over CJ Miles, James Jones and maybe even over Pietrus.

The problem with the Pistons is that sometimes the core players get to caught up in the jump shooting contest and appear to be to passive to drive the lane, but on the other hand they allowed Wade, LaBron, Pierce to drive that lane at will score in the paint from both the field and the FT line.

Rip and CB are among the league leaders in FT shooting %, yet they still don't get there enough unless we are holding on to a lead in crunch time. Nobody over 6"5 on this team averaged more that 3 trips a game to the line. We can get more than that with Magette even in 15-18 minutes of play. If Joe and Curry can define his role and convince him that he and one big man are the missing piece he may sign...

The worst case Piston scenario at the end of the Summer is that Magette and Posey sign with either Boston or Cleveland and all we get is another scrub who does not even contribute next spring.....at least give me a trade to chew on. The current team is great, but they are getting old and the window is closing or may have already done so on the current starting five.