Home Los Angeles Lakers Tuesday March 6 2012

Discussion in 'March 2012' started by roscoe36, Mar 1, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2012.
  1. Detroit

41.7%
  2. Los Angeles Lakers

58.3%
  1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I am truly shocked. But in a good way.

Even if we had lost, I would have been happy. To keep the Lakers to just 85point in OT is incredible.

GW Pistons. I <3 you so bad
    S.J. likes this.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That was an an odd game. Pretty fugly for the most part. It was hard to tell who was playing well for the Pistons. Even Stuckey save for a few stretches was sliding under the radar. (My DVR tapped out so I missed the 20-4 2nd Q run and the last half of OT.)

Stuckey showed how much more dangerous he could be if he had a consistent with his pull up against Kobe late in the 4th. He was wide open when he stopped his drive. Great game for him.

Monroe typically struggles against length, but I've never seen have so much trouble when someone didn't block his shot(s) early on.

Coach Frank was tres bold with his 4th Q and OT lineups.

I felt very bad for Coach Kuester just watching him.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Odd stat for me......Gordon a +24, while Stuckey was a -4............................

Other stats revealed that Stuckey wanted to play one on one...........

At least the cruise missle hit the target 13 of 20 times...............
  4. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That killer crossover move had Kobe going to his left was a classic MJ move. Yes, if Stuckey can make such moves consistently (stop and pop 12 footers), then he is gonna be the D Wade 2.0 we are wishing him to be.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Hopefully, this is a break out game for Stuckey. I have basically given up on him being an impact player since last year (I had started out on his bandwagon). He avoided charges, attacked and made some pull ups for variety. The veterans Prince, Gordon, Ben and Stuckey won this.

The bad: Monroe and Knight were on the bench. If this is a singular win by the veterans, then all it does is move the Pistons down in the draft. Monroe needs to play against he best bigs to get experience. jPlay him, win or lose. The Pistons need to win with their rookies and not just win. If the rookies help win the game, fine. If they help lose the game, well the future is what counts.

Still, don't want to get too picky. If Stuckey can play something like that, it is all to the good.
    linwood likes this.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Its a few days prior to the trade deadline. :stirthepot:
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Likely explanation: Stuckey countered Kobe while Ben Gordon overpowered the Lakers bench.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's hard to play 42 minutes and only have 1 assist, 1 rebound, and 0 steals.
  9. Nemo

I didn't see the game but it sounds like Prince played some strong Defense on Kobe as he was basically ineffective. Agreed though that Gordon had his way with the Lakers bench in his showcasing, part one.
  10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

That's what I thought, seeing the boxscore - is Dumars showcasing 12 mil per year player?
  11. BillLaimbeer

I thought Tay gave more effort than he normally does. Perhaps he was "trying out" for the Lakers brass.
  12. copper

copper Bench Warmer

This is one of those times that stats lie. Gordon got a misleading rating against mostly bench players when the rest of gordons team was playing solid defense and holding the Lakers to 1 and done. Stuckey was keeping us in the game when the lakers were scoring and could have taken control of the game.
    Nemo likes this.
  13. BillLaimbeer

I thought Gordon played a great game. The Pistons made their runs with Gordon, Jerebko, Ben Wallace, and Wilkins on the floor. You have to give these guys credit. Sure, Stuckey scored a lot of points, but compare his 1 rebound, 1 assist effort with Gordon's 5 rebound, 5 assist effort.

Monroe and Knight struggled for the most part. For the rest of the guys, it was a gutsy effort and a great team win.
    jzchen and Nemo like this.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yeah Bill.
    Sell high on Ben Gordon!
  15. BillLaimbeer

Sell high, low or medium on Ben Gordon!
  16. Nemo

Put him in the bargain bin..........
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This game was a ton of fun to watch. Stuckey's late 3 and then Tay's shot that put us ahead to stay were among the biggest shouting causes. Fantastic game for Stuckey. Mostly driving to the basket, but he also made several outside shots. Gordon was indeed just what we needed in this game, like when we went the first 6 minutes of the 3rd without scoring before he came in. And defense. We held LA to about 75 points in regulation - that is pretty good. Credit everyone for that, especially Ben Wallace for his play vs. Bynum. Kind of hard to believe Ben had a good game defending Bynum considering all the points Bynum got - but he did. Lots of times Bynum found himself unable to get into position to score when Big Ben was guarding him.

We did everything we could to ensure Kobe would not beat us. We doubled him often, and kept tall defenders on him like Wilkins and Tay for the most part. Down the stretch we also played mostly Big Ben and JMAX as a tandem to keep their two bigs, Gasol and Bynum, from doing any damage. In all, it was a win, built mostly on defense.

Monroe had a darn nice rebounding game - in shorter than usual minutes. Knight missed all his jumpers. Can't say why he did not drive in more. Too much respect by the rookie maybe for their bigs - who really are too slow for him to have worried that much about. I think watching the film on this one and the way Stuckey carved them up inside (as did Gordon a bit too), Knight will learn for next time.

Good coaching to go with what was working for crunch time. Still don't like seeing Daye sitting too much. Still don't think JJ is a power forward in any way, and I still don't like Wilkins for the most part as a player although he certainly had a good game here.
  18. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Bill Ill take stuckeys 34 points all day with 1 assist and 1 turnover as long as it comes with his high shooting pct. BG wasnt horrible ( I cant believe I actually typed that...I think I died a little inside there) I think the best thing for Monroe and BK was this game for their developement.GM was havin a hell ova horrible game and really started forcing it and that was making it worse, enter Ben..hes not gonna light up the scoring sheet but he showed GM how to use size and strength to effectively shut down a hot big. In doing so change the game without even touching the ball. Hopefully this will help GM to realize even when hes not getting the calls or the ball isnt dropping he can still keep his emotions in check and change the game. Also BK takin a rookie seat and watching Stuck take over from different angles and fearlessly attack the bigs. Im lookin forward to the next game to see if they show any signs of learning curve.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Our defense must have been pretty good last night holding the Lakers to 85 points in an OT game.....The Lakeshow is in DC tonight and they already have 64 points at halftime vs the Wiz tonight and Kobe already has 20 and the bench has 18.....!
  20. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Eh, Stuck does that kind of thing every game with varying degrees of effectivity; the only real missing element there is the consistency with his jumpers. I thought BG had a darn solid all-around game, even if he didn't score as much (also didn't shoot as much). Stuck took over late, but I give BG, Ben and Wilkins a lot of credit for keeping us in it in the second quarter when LA was threatening to pull away by more than the 10-12 point lead they already had (courtesy of Drew). Without them, Stuck's fourth quarter might've never happened. The Lakers' bench sucks, and I mean really, really, really suck though. That team is basically Kobe, Drew and Pau + scrubs. If they didn't have such great big men/Kobe, they'd be the Charlotte Bobcats of the West (especially with Mike Brown's "offense"). Monroe got pushed around by Drew, but he couldn't really move Big Ben. It was kinda awesome to watch. We're not winning these types of games next year without him if Greg can't replicate that.

...And the Lakers are in a close game once again, down 4 to the Wiz. They ALWAYS lose leads. :ohwell:
    jzchen likes this.