1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Away Los Angeles Clippers Sunday March 18 2012

Discussion in 'March 2012' started by roscoe36, Mar 13, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2012.
  1. Detroit

33.3%
  2. Los Angeles Clippers

66.7%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3:30 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

bizzzump

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This will be the first time in 8 years that I will not attend this game.....Normally I would have already have tickets and would be planning for a Piston win. (even though they were bad under Kuerster and MC Tablecloth). This year with the Clipper team looking good in January, I figured it was an automatic loss for the Pistons, so decided to stay home and watch it on the tube. However with the Clips struggling due to bad defense and coaching, there is a chance that the Pistons take the victory tomorrow.

These are my two favorite teams Pistons first and Clippers second, so when both lose on the same night, the wife knows to stay out my way:gaah:

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Rats.........I'm picking the same as BillLaimbeer

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons are making this one interesting....up 72-69 with 3 minutes to go.

6. LA Dre

I know...I wish I had gone now.....

7. BillLaimbeer

Wow, Pistons are either Taynking or Frank is retarded. How can you give the ball to Tay in crunch time?

8. LA Dre

I knew Tay would mess it up.....never trust a passive lefty to win a game....meanwhile the folks on the Clipper forum
    are cheering about OT

9. max

max All-Star

Yea and he did it twice. Should have won in regulation.

10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Seriously. Everyone and their mama knew he wasn't going to pass that ball and would force up a bad shot. Even better for the Clips, he turned it over. Isotayshaun ftl. :gaah:Hadn't been at all happy with his play all game, tbh. I saw more dribbling+hold+shot from Tay in this game than I have the last 3.

The guards were pretty bad this game. Brandon started off pretty well, he just missed a lot and took way too many threes. Don't know why none of our guards seemed willing to mix it up with their bigs inside (yes, I know Jordan's reputedly a good shot blocker), that really stunted the offense. Stuckey's ankle sprain's looking really bad. He was clearly struggling with it, and while I expect him to play against Denver, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sit either. He was kind of forcing it to start with, but then became passive as the game went on. I chalk that up to the injury.

On the bright side, Monroe totally outplayed Griffin. And Jonas played well.

Note to BG: those really long passes in transition usually don't work.

roscoe36 likes this.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Pistons version of the tank. New Jersey has been tanking big time as have some of the other teams. This is the first time it seemed like a bit of a tank for the Pistons.

We all know you can never go to Tay more than once in crunch time. He will not deliver if you go to him over and over. Still, this game shows why the team, while getting a lot better, is not ready for prime time. Stuckey disappeared today and could not fall back on a jumper to be effective. Knight is a rookie whose shot needs development.

Why Gordon is on the floor except to shoot is hard to figure? He simply cannot handle the ball. So set some screens for him and let him shoot at crunch time. Otherwise he shouldn't play.

No one could guard Monroe on the Clippers. Martin actually looked the best on him once earlier. But here too, we see limitations of the team. Monroe is just in his second year and he does not have that little jumper down to throw up there on the last play against Martin.

JJ still does not have a game around the hoop despite some hook shots today. His jumper is developing but still a shade below NBA prime level. He will get there.

I have given up on a top five draft pick. Too many teams are tanking and the fact is that the Pistons are closer to the .500 teams right now than to the tanking teams. The Pistons have actually become too good over the course of the season. Actually, if you look at the Monroe, Knight, JJ, and sometimes Stuckey tandem along with the coach, the Pistons are in a very good position to leap frog those teams in the next two years. They still need another young piece but an 8th pick might due.

I guess the way to look at it is that the Pistons have a top three pick in Monroe. Maybe the top pick of that year's draft depending upon where you put Wall and Cousins.

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. LA Dre

Another game where the Pistons controlled the game thru the first three quarters but went into road taynk mode the last 5 minutes of regulation....going to Taynk the last three plays as the Clippers held the Pistons to 9 points in 4th quarter. With Blake exhausted and DJ on the bench, they should have been going to Moose before in the last couple of possessions instead of the Taynkster.

As the Clippers announcers said with 5 minutes left in the game, the Clipps have a closer in CP3 and the Pistons don't.....well not only did the Clippers hold the Pistons to 9 points in the 4th quarter, but Chris Paul scored 9 points in the OT and they win back to back games for the first time in a month. Last years Pistons-Clippers game went into OT last, but I was there for the Piston PF magic and the Pistons pulled out the OT win...:bow1:

Oh by the way the Pistons scored nine points in both the 4th qtr and OT....but that 4th is where they didn't make good decisions, shooting jumpers instead of going to the rim.

Tay did have a decent game, and was probably the obvious choice for coach frankie in the end, as Stuckey had his worst game of the road trip shooting 1-8 and only getting the line four times. Knight was no better going 3 for 14....,....but going to his left, Randy and CP were waiting for that move to stop and strip....

Good games for both JJ and Monroe as Moose has 23-15 including 6 pts in OT to keep it close.

Posters on the Clippers board are satisfied with the win, but still are calling for the head of Vinny Del Negro....as they don't think any of these games should be this close...

With the game going into OT, the Staples center crew now has to work double time in replacing the floor with the Laker floor so that they can be ready for the their game with the Jazz tonight at 6:30...

basketbills likes this.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The end of regulation Isotayshaun was brutal.

14. copper

copper Bench Warmer

along with isotay slowing the game down and draining clock forced alot of those bad 3 point shots. I recall at least 3 times BK was hot potatoed. If they want to slow it down why not use the big fella in the post? he is a decent threat to score and usually makes good solid decisions.

15. BillLaimbeer

You knew they weren't even going to get a shot off.

16. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Agree with this. That game at the end was reminiscent of games from earlier in the season and the pace was slower than is best for this team. Brandon having to shoot at the end of the shot clock was due to people holding the ball too long/dribbling aimlessly for the first 20+ seconds. I think we all know who did which. He also shot long prayer 3s at the end of quarters2 and3 iirc. Greg should definitely be first option in the half court.

17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

On the recent discussion, but Monroe is not fully ready to be THE closer. He is still finding his way. Knight is not ready either. Hi shot is rookie-eratic. And Stuckey, has not had a history of being a good closer.

This is where the youth of the team cannot be overcome from game to game. Give it another year or two and the Pistons will likely have several bona fide closers.

For sure, Tay is good for once play. Once you go to the well, he has not delivered historically. If Gordon is going to be on the floor, screens should have been set for him to shoot.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

9 points in the 4th quarter? What happened?

Didn't get to watch this one, but looked like another good game. We put up a good fight on the road against a team that is better than we are and against arguably the best PG in the league.

Stuck and Knight were fairly miserable on paper, especially in comparison to CP3's insane stats.

19. LA Dre

All of CP3's stats came in the last 6 minutes of regulation and the OT....prior to that, Monroe, Tay and JJ were controlling the game.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons had 16 assists.
    Chris Paul had 15 assists (and ZERO turnovers). That's pretty incredible considering it was a game that went to OT.

Pistons had 3 steals.
    Chris Paul had 4 steals.

He's on a different level to say the least.

But... the Clips were 14-6 with Billups and they are 12-12 since he left. It's really disappointing that he couldn't show what he's got as a SG to a premier PG.

Just a quick Los Angeles (Lakers) tidbit not worthy of posting anywhere else:

Tonight- Kobe had 15 points on 20 FGA's (5 for 20).
    Andrew Bynum had 33 points on 14 FGA's (12-14).