Longest Off-Season Ever.

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Griffin, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

I'm starting to forget what the Pistons look like. I'm starting to forget how the game of basketball is played. It feels like it's been 90 years since I last watched live NBA basketball.

It's been so long since the Finals, I'm afraid Ben is gonna show up to training camp as an 80-year-old man. It's been so long, I'm starting to wonder if our guys will remember how to play together.

It's been so long, I'm actually watching Game 2 of the Finals, even though I know we get pounded (it's the only game I can find on tape).

So am I alone in feeling like this has been the slowest off-season ever? Especially compared to last year.

In fact, I think comparing this year to last year is part of the problem. Last year we were - first and foremost - enjoying our championship. That seemed to help speed the summer along.

Also, we had the Olympic games to watch during August. Add to that all the trade activity. Between the Shaq trade and the McGrady trade, the off-season was as juicy as ever. Finally, I remember being so caught up in the presidential election that I could barely concentrate on basketball.

But this off-season has been quiet. Oh so quiet. And slow. So slow I'm watching our guys suffer a 20 point loss. When will it end?
    :clock:

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sing it brother. If not for working on this forum, I would probably have gone crazy.

The worst part is that I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from losing last year.

I need to see us play the Spurs again.
    I need to see Darko play.
    I need to see how Flip coaches.
    I need to see Tayshaun's size (where's the beef?).

So many questions, so little Chris McCoskey...

3. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

and the Press

This has been the worst summer as far as local media coverage as well. With Miami and Indiana getting so much hype- it's almost like the Pistons don't exist in the Media. I was excited just seeing Rodney Billups getting some camera time on NBA Inside Stuff. Also in that episode they followed JR Smith, in one clip he was getting off the bus and out of no where he blurted out "I'm going to dunk on Darko...I'm going to dunk on Darko!"...it was hilarious. Darko can't get no respect.

4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

its been slow, but theres always something going on.

euro champs, formula 1 championship, aussie rules finals, test match cricket (no need to talk about that), world cup soccer qualifiers, aussie bball has just started, and i've found some old nba games from the early 90's to watch as well.

but i hear ya, only 1 week after game 7 finished i wanted the season to start, grieving time was over, avenging time was starting!

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Funniest thing is....he actually did it. Twice.

6. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

This is one example of Michigan being worse than Australia. You see, while you have all those things to occupy your mind, we get our summer sports fix watching the Tigers trying not to fall apart, we follow the Lions' training camp like a junkie licking used needles, then we spend a lot of time sulking about both teams, then we put too much pressure on the Wolverines to perform well, then when they let us down we're left to put our hope in the Spartans, which is always a desperate act, unless you're already a hardcore Sparty fan. In that case, you're the king of the world.

Luckily, both Wimbledon and the US Open were great this year. Tennis has been one little shining star amidst the grey drudgery of summer sports.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The main reason I was angry was the fact that the Pistons had to wait another year to get a chance to beat the spurs in a series, and that there were no games during the summer except for some crappy summerleague

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

wow, that's funny. :)

9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I just wish Darko would get a mean streak and stick an elbow out the next time someone tries to dunk on him. It would make the next person think twice.

This offseason has been so boring and I can hardly wait until the season starts. The local media is so lame here. They could have did weekly articles detailing what each player was going to do this summer i.e (vacations, spending time with family or friends, working on there game, etc. )and asking them how they felt about the finals loss and what they thought this season would bring with Flip leading them.

10. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

be thankful we made it to the Finals and even had a team to root for. imagine if we were a lottery team......now that'd be a LONG off-season

11. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

booo

Did he really? Thats not funny then.

12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

I'm kind of with iamme. I've actually enjoyed the break, especially after attending every playoff game. I mean that rocked and all, but the constant excitement and then huge disappointment not winning it all, it's nice to have some downtime and think about other things.

To me the offseason has gone by very quickly. Whether that's just because my life is so busy and it goes by fast, or because I play a lot of other sports on a weekly basis, I dunno.

13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I can not imagine having your favorite teams season end in late April and not having anymore basketball until late Oct early Nov. That would be awlful.:frusty:

14. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Lottery team off season

Yeah. Welcome to life in Orlando...:doh: :faint2: :rain: