Lions news

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Zander, May 6, 2006.

1. Zander

Zander First Round Draft Pick

From KFFL

Lions | Team will have open competition on offensive line

Sat, 6 May 2006 12:38:04 -0700
    Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said the team will have open-competition on the offensive line in training camp. Marinelli added, "In that way you have just got to get down and if a guy has some position flexibility, if he's backing up here and he might be the best guy here, if he fits that spot, if his range and his talent and those things fit that spot we can do that. We're just trying to find five starters right now and then some guys who can have some position flexibility and backup and some of those things."

Lions | Marinelli discusses Calhoun
    Sat, 6 May 2006 12:37:44 -0700
    Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said the team looked at RB Brian Calhoun's athletic background when they drafted him. Marinelli added, "All I know is the biggest thing: if you watch him on tape, he's exceptional in the open field; vision, feet and endurance. He's showing it out here right now. It's been good. He's exciting." When asked about anything that defines Calhoun, Marinelli replied, "I just think he's got a chance to be an all-around back; a blocker, a catcher, he's smart so we can use him in different ways, durable. He's a great kid."

Lions | Marinelli refuses to talk about grievance
    Sat, 6 May 2006 12:37:23 -0700
    Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli did not give any information as to what the grievance was that cost the Lions two training days. When asked what the grievance was about, Marinelli responded, "The league just handed it down to us. You saw the statement. Now we're just prepared to move on." When asked if he knew what it was, he said, "Kind of. I'm just going to end it right there. We've got it and now my preparation is now to move on and that's what we'll do."
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Calhoun could end up being a steal in this offence.
  3. Zander

Zander First Round Draft Pick

Jammertime

Calhoun is a very solid addition! 3 way player! RB, return man and Receiver. Just read Az Hakim watched practice. If he isnt signed expect Calhoun to line up in the slot. Dont believe any reports on Calhouns speed. This kids a burner! 4.38/40
  4. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Calhoun sounds good and with Drummond's eggshell exterior he should provide good backup return capabilities.I hope with the grievance it isn't what I read that players complained about something??Get your overpaid butts out there,work some baby fat off and give us a winning(8-8) season.Time to weed out the old going through the motions players which might take a couple years.We need to get a new attitude,everyone on the same page.
  5. jammertime

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seing Az back either. They used him all wrong the last time he was here. He's a perfect slot receiver. Fortunately, we have Martz now how not only knows how to run the offense, but has also coached Hakim when he was with the Rams.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

If K. Jones has health issues again, it's going to be important to have an adaquate backup. Hopefully Calhoun is that guy. He sounds pretty versatile.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He has no option with the Oline, it's wrecked.
    Kosier, maybe our best tackle is gone. Backus may not want to be here.
    I hope we got a good Oline coach!
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I thought the O-line was the #1 need coming into the draft... and not much has happened to change that opinion... IMO, it all starts in the trenches... particularly for the QB's confidence and ability to fully execute plays.... Peyton Manning would fail in Detroit with our lack of protection.
  9. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I think they should have drafted max Gene Giles from georgia in the second or third round. However, I do think the line will toughen up just because the coach will make them.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Actually we have 5 new Olinemen. But only one of serious value.
  11. jammertime

We just signed Ross Verba to a 1 year contract with options and release Shaun King. Some excerpts from Freep.com:

Marinelli said three or four other teams were in the bidding for Verba, but the Lions "just used our charm."

Verba didn't play in 2005 after a contract dispute with Cleveland, but he didn't play in '03 because of biceps injury and started all 16 games for the Browns in '04. He played for Lions offensive line coach Larry Beightol in Green Bay in 1999-2000.

Verba said he came with the expectation of starting at left guard and lined up as the starter there Wednesday. "I'll be starting," Verba said. "I'll earn it. I don't not start."

Hahahaha, "I don't not start" that's funny as hell!! At least he's confident. I don't see how he could do much worse than Demulling. I also like that Marinelli used his "charm" to get him.

In other O-line news:

Rex Tucker lined up as the starting right tackle, bumping Kelly Butler, who started all 16 games there last season.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Verba used to be pretty good.
    I thought S King could be our Slash. Oh well
    RexT any good?
  13. jammertime

I didn't think King had any chance of making the roster with 3 QBs ahead of him on the depth chart. He was signed before the other two were, but was a low risk/low reward pickup. No big loss.

Not sure about Tucker, haven't heard much about him. We sure have quantity on the O line now, we'll have to wait and see about the quality. I don't really care who starts on the line as long as they're the best option.

It looks like the Lions are going with the "throw a bunch of crap at a wall and see what sticks" approach to filling out the line. A lot of the guys we've signed have played for either Martz, Marinelli or Beightol before, so at least there is a sense of familiarity there. Although, that didn't seem to work too well for Mooch, bringing in "his guys" like Jeff Moon Ball Garcia or Paul Smith.
  14. Darth Tater

I know the "sexy" picks have burned us the last few years, and we drafted for position, but I still would have drafted Leinert. How do you pass him up at that spot for the guy they got?:deadhorse

OK... :tape:
  15. jammertime

I'm going to have to disagree with you (kind of).

I'm not crazy about the Lions picking a guy with 500 concussions with that high a pick, but I am glad they didn't pick a QB.

Leinart may end up being an amazing QB in the league and I was a bit tempted when he was still there at 9, but

1) you're right, we have been burned too many times by the sexy pick

2) I want to give Martz at least this season to see if he can do anything with Kitna, McNown and/or Orlovsky. He has a great track record for turning no namers into pro bowlers. So if he can work with what we've already got (especially considering 2 of the 3 are signed for 4 years) and we can use the pick somewhere else, great.

3) There were just too many more pressing needs IMO, for us to draft another QB (or freaking receiver for that matter, I swear to GOD I think I'd have slit my throat if Millen had drafted yet another one. Luckily there weren't any WR's projected that high or who knows what might have happened).

I WOULD have liked to have seen Millen trade DOWN since we weren't going to grab a QB and there were 2 solid ones still available (Jay Cutler being the 2nd). I'm sure someone would have wanted to move up to grab Leinart away from the Cards.

Only time will tell how we did in this draft. I must say, I do think that we're FINALLY heading in the right direction. I don't think we'll win the division next season, I don't even know if we'll finish with a winning record, but I DO think we'll be a much more focused, prepared and aggressive team.
  16. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Lions couldn't trade down because of BOTH QB's being there---and we would have lost Sims in the process---he was as highly touted on other team boards as ours. Sims is a basic cog like Cody and Bullocks to build the Tampa2 type Defense than Marinelli has helped coach for 10 years (along with Lovie Smith I might add).

The Verba signing is probably as good as the Dan Campbell signing--not noticeable except by other coaches in the league. Tucker is familiar with the blocking assignments and that helps greatly, but due to his injury history, this also means that Butler can be the swing man on the line like Kosier was last year.
  17. Darth Tater

Yeah, I think you're right.
  18. jammertime

You could be right, but its hard to know for sure. As long as Millen made the attempt to trade down, I'm ok with it. Its just crappy the way the board played out, missing out on guys like Huff and Hawk. Sims could very well end up being a great player, better than either of the other 2. But he's also a riskier pick with his concussion history. You'll have to excuse me for having a hard time trusting a Millen decision. When it comes to the Lions, I'm a skeptic.

I do agree with you on the under the radar signings. I like them. They're football players. Maybe not big household names, but the kind of hardnosed players that every team needs. We need more players like that, and less players who come into camp overweight, smoke pot or can't handle hard practices.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I said it before, Millen got punked. We could of had KO Kid at 15 and another pick. [From KC]
    As usual we were out of synch with what the draft offered.