Linning!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Winless Wonders, Feb 10, 2012.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Golden State and Houston have taken a lot of flack for releasing J-Lin.
    If I was a fan of one of those teams, I'd be stoked to know that my GM saw something in the guy to at least give him a roster spot to begin with. What about all of the other teams who totally missed on him?
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

Here's a nice article about the Linsanity:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7597844/jeremy-lin-perils-flash-stardom-internet-age

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Not everybody knows how to evaluate talent. There are probably only a handful of quality GM's that can find diamonds in the rough. Obviously Golden State saw something in Lin to sign him, but they perhaps were too impatient with him. They also already had a log jam at guard so Lin was expendable. The same thing can be said about Houston also as they already have a lot of quality guards.

When someone has talent sometimes they simpily can't put it all together right away. Some guy's bloom faster than others and some guy's never get it together even though they have all the talent in the world. The mental part of the game is greatly under estimated.
  4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

5. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Well that Heat game just proved pretty much everything that I was thinking. Lin is a quality starter, but beyond that, it becomes a very murky question.

Negs - 35 minutes, 8 turnover, 8 points off 1-11 shooting, only 3 assists

Pos - 6-6 FT shooting, 3 steals, only one foul. The 35 minutes go here too.

Now I know I am going to get a lot of the 'this is a one off' argument, and thats fine. I accept that this is just one game. However, it shows that against a top contender team with seriously good defence against pick and rolls, Lin struggles. The comparisons of him to all stars are undeniably fictitious now.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

let's see if he improves
  7. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

It was his first attempt against stiff competition. These guys were waiting in the weeds for Lin.
    Lin had been stealing the Heat's thunder long enough and they were gonna put him in his place.
    Lin was ambushed. Let's see how he reacts to the heat next time.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When I watched the highlights, it looked like most of his turnovers were the result of Heat steals. I think that really is the crux of his turnover problem (i.e. more than bad passes). He dribbles with too much confidence right into the defense and since he always has the ball, there are a lot of swipe attempts.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

can't go left.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

11. The Panda

So what? Either he is superstar good or he isn't. I don't like this bake a cake and eat it too attitude towards this guy.

The Heat ambushed the point guard position. Not Lin himself (well maybe a little bit). Because they know that whoever runs the point is the crux of the offense for D'Antoni. The fact that Lin had as many turnovers as points against a defensive system which can shut down pick and rolls shows that perhaps his great show was more about his team than people are led to believe.
    alexa032 and roscoe36 like this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lin just fills up the stat sheet, both good and bad. He'll never be part of the trillion club.
  13. Nemo

Don't know if anybody claimed he was a superstar..........He's special because he went from "D" league player to quality starter......almost overnight. This is something Stuckey wished he coulda done anytime these last 5 seasons. He has strengths and weaknesses like most players. the Heat wanted to make him look bad because of all the press he'd been getting. D'Antoni did nothing to help the kid when they pressed him. A back court screen might have been nice. Remember........he never placed himself on a pedestal, yet the team followed his lead because he showed the Knicks how to play together again.
    BallDon'tLie and basketbills like this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL. You don't get this far and can't go left.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

goes right too often
    Mogilny and BallDon'tLie like this.
  16. The Panda

He makes the Knicks look good because he actually has the ability to make a simple pass and run a pick and roll effectively. I'm guessing you don't really watch many Knicks games because thats what they do.

And what the hell are you talking about? Everyone claimed he was a superstar. But in reality he was just a good fit piece for the Knicks' puzzle. Again, I think JL is a good player. But it is quite simply a fallacy to justify a poor performance on the back of 'well that teams pretty good so its expected that he would only score off FT and turn the ball over for showy dunks from a short rookie'. Part of being a quality starter/player is being able to adapt to situations. The Heat will shut down pick and rolls - so don't play them.

IMO, if all that you can do is come on and run some great pick and rolls and slap in a few layups, then you should be an impact sub getting 15-20 minutes a game. Lin gets the starter position because no one else on the team is any good at PG and its critical for the game they play.
  17. Nemo

Please provide links which used the word "superstar" thanks.
  18. The Panda

19. linwood

linwood All-Star

There is no greater basketball authority than Forbes.

I think Lin has shown tremendous talent. Hopefully, that talent will develop with experience.

Saying the guy isn't legit because the Heat, which is one of the absolute best defensive teams in the NBA right now, was successful stopping him one game isn't any more convincing than saying he is the next Steve Nash or Chris Paul after 8 good games.
    Nemo likes this.
  20. Nemo

Really...........that's all you got. a paragraph titled, "Identify the Superstar on your bench"..

Gotta tell ya........that looks weak to me.................an article about CEO's finding hidden talent.

I was hoping for a reputable sports source. Someone who defines why he is a superstar.

Since you said "everybody"..........I'll wait for a reputable quote.