1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Linning!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Winless Wonders, Feb 10, 2012.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I only asked, because when you watch The View and Good Morning America, it is now part of their everyday hot topics and now everyone on the show is an expert NY Knick stat person. Even Letterman has got into the act since his show is taped in NY.

In other words we just don't get the ESPN take, now we are getting it on all of these NY based shows where they are fans of their home team and are bringing sports into the conversation courtesy of Lin.

You have to wonder if all of those guards we through away> Terrico White, etc, had it in them to run a team the way Lin is doing it??

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

We keep signing our veterans, who must offer something to the team. I think that teams will look more closely at making change when a refreshing change is needed.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Can't deny Lin is special but also a product of the circumstances. I would prefer Knight figure out what makes Lin so effective and work on that.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd say that it depends on a balance between outside shooting adequacy, dribble penetration, and passing ability.

You could see that in his game winner against the Raptors, the defender had to respect his drive to the point that he was basically able to take an uncontested 3-pointer for the win. And that was probably the best option that the Raps had. If Lin would have penetrated, he'd either get a floater or deliver a great pass to a dunker.

Knight doesn't have the passing ability and that is probably the harder to develop now. He's OK, but nothing like Lin.

5. LA Dre

I heard on the radio that Spike Lee was sent Lin's high school jersey to wear since he has worn Landon Fields HS jersey in the past.

The same broadcaster said that Spike should think about doing a remake of "He Got Game" with Lin playing Jesus Shuttlesworth/ Ray Allen's part and Chow You-Fat playing Denzel Washington's role.:biggrin:

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If someone got my high school jersey, I would get a restraining order...that's creepy.

Spike Lee should produce it and get John woo to direct it. Imagine, the entire pick + roll to alley oop for Chandler is done in slow motion with the entire Golden State roster being riddled by bullets. John woo doesn't believe in reloading either and Lin could take as many steps as he wants after he picks up the dribble. Just Warriors being torn to shreds as he takes 5 steps in the lane and tosses the ball up to chandler who is jumping from the three point line (for dramatic flair)...

7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Like I said. I don't buy it. You can draw comparisons to Wade, but Wade don't turn it over 8 times a game. Lin has set a record for turnovers in games started. I admire him, but the hype is killing it for me. Don't turn into some twilight fanboy over a few games, and reject every opinion of him that doesn't coincide with your own.

Melo is going to make or break Lin. At the end of the day, regardless of what everyone may think of Melo, he is a superstar. He has the natural talent. These players can go hot and cold. Form is not permanent. He is also worth 80+ million over 4 years. He will not be sitting on the bench. He has to play to get back in the groove. If he meshes with Jeremy, I think it will be great. If he doesn't - well he controls roughly 35% of the Knicks possession and is a slasher. Lin will sit out at the perimeter and start bricking threes.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Per 36 minutes:

Lin gets 9.2 assists to 5.1 turnovers. TS% .577. a/t of 1.80

Wade gets 5.3 to 2.9 with a TS% of .551. a/t of 1.82

So, given that each guy has the same ratio of assists to turnovers, I'd rather have the one that creates a higher volume of assists and has a higher shooting percentage (with all else being equal, which it isn't).

Knight (our PG of the future) has 3.9 assists to 3.1 turnovers every 36 minutes for comparison.

The only player who dishes out assists at a higher rate this year (behind fractions of a percentage) is Steve Nash. Lin is basically tied with Rondo, Calderon, Chris Paul, and Rubio at a rate of 12.0-12.5 per 48 minutes- more than Parker, Wall, D Williams, Kidd, etc.

And Lin has done most of this with 2 all stars out of the lineup.

So far, he really deserves the hype.

9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Against +.500 teams, Lin has posted an OffEff (avg) of 11.7. Wade 21.1
    Adjusted to 48 minutes, he still falls behind Wade by about 3, but turns the ball over 7.4 times to Wades 3.3. He is shooting worse from FT, this includes Wade shooting none from long range, and a hot streak by Lin.

Aside from the fact that Lin has simply not played enough games to record a decent enough sample size for stat analysis, comparing him to Wade is utter fluff. In fact, even with the adv. of a hot streak and a small sample size for PER and efficiency, the only area that Lin even cracks the top ten point guards is in FG% at .489 - which is very unlikely to last a very long time.

But what it really comes down to is the absolute absurdity of the comparison. Lin is a PG, he is meant to get assists. Wade is a SG, he is meant to score points. If you would rather Lin over Wade, then I don't even know what to say.

Like I keep saying - great player, yes, future repeat all star, no.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They both have crappy a/to ratios.... but way better than our rookie PG. They also both had bad a/to ratios in college and were very similar to eachother on the ratio.

Hence my comment (all else being equal, which they're not).

11. Nemo

I like comparing their hourly wage.........Lin looks better than em all..............

12. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Honestly...the Lin hype is getting to be too much for me too. Yeah, he's done well, I get it, don't hit me with a barrage of remote Lin references and front page news articles about him 24/7, please. The guy's mug is literally everywhere, it's too much. And as Panda pointed out, Lin is turning it over a lot; guy averages something like 6 turnovers/game and no one calls him out on it. Has he even had a game with less than 6? I mean, TOs are something people get on any players for, even Kobe got criticized for his turnovers this year, but Lin gets off scot free. It's silly.
    Re BK's a/t ratio, it's not like that hasn't improved since the start of the year. Lin is also four years older. Outside of playing the same position, it's apples and oranges.

13. Nemo

Here's a Lin negative...........he has one thread here so far. Stuckey has 11 threads...........

14. LA Dre

Well, the Commish backed down again to ESPNY pressure and added Lin to the all star festivities any way and he was the third player picked in the draft. He will be passing alley oops to Blake and trying to get Monroe un tracked under the hoop.

15. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

That just means Stuckey>Lin :bs:

Dre - Hype I tell you. Now I'm going to be forced to watch him in the only thing I'll be tuning into on All Star weekend too. :crossed: And wth is Shaq doing having FIVE PGs on his team?

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great move, in my opinion. The All-Star festivities are about the fans. Right now, the fans adore him. Will it continue? Who knows. You might as well milk it while it's hot, though.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But the Knicks' overall turnover rate has gone down with him at the helm and he's assisting at about the 2nd highest rate in the NBA. Also, the Knicks have had 13 less turnovers than their opponents during this stretch.

To me, the turnovers are an acceptable side effect of the Linsane ball movement that is going on... doh!

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

19. linwood

linwood All-Star

20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why are we even having this conversation when we have Rodney Stuckey on our roster?