Let's talk about Will Bynum for a second . . .

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lovingj, Oct 9, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's why I said correlates.

The opposite is probably true for Stuckey, where the coach will leave him in long minutes in games that are close (hence the 3-7 when he plays high minutes).

So, my main point isn't that we should play Bynum more minutes because it causes wins, it is that there is no evidence of a correlation between Bynum's minutes and losses.

2. max

max All-Star

Bynum would have been nice to have back in the old days when CB and Rip were in their prime. Right now we need a legit PG to get BG, current Rip, and others the ball to hopefully get them going.

I don't care if Bynum's 2.3 APG per 17 mins leads the team in assist efficiency or whatever - it's still a poor number for a PG. Oppenents get almost 3 more APG than we do - our team has problems passing the ball and getting everyone involved. Our best PG lately has been T-Mac who has never played that position before on the NBA level.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In an ideal world, we somehow land a All-Star caliber starting PG in the offseason, McGrady becomes our backup PG/whatever, and Will Bynum becomes our 12th or 13th guy or gets packaged in a deal.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our backcourt is ranked #16 in efficiency. They have the same number of assists per game as Denver's backcourt, even though we play at the slowest pace in the league and they are one of the fastest.

What our guards lack in assists, they make up for in points as they are the 5th highest scoring guard combo in the league, only behind Golden State, Houston, San Antonio, and Phoenix. Our guards get to the FT line better than all teams except for Houston, OKC, Miami, and San Antonio.

Defensively, our guards are the 5th best in the league in terms of opponent guards PPG, and 7th in terms of opponent's FG%. The other guards do get a lot of assists against our guards, but it is also the same as Denver's guards give up. This may be a function more of the weakness at our other positions than at the guard position.

Our guards give up fewer rebounds to their opposing guards than all but 6 other teams. In terms of overall efficiency from opposing guards, there are only 9 backcourts in the league who are better defensively than ours.

FOCUS ON OUR BIGS. Will Bynum is not causing us to miss the playoffs.

When we won the Championship, we had Ben Wallace at his peak, a hungry peaking Rasheed Wallace, Corliss Williamson (6th man of the year), Mehmet Okur, Elden Campbell, and a #2 draft pick that we only bother playing in extreme garbage time situations.

If we had that frontcourt right now, we'd be worried about how we're going to get by game 6 of the ECF, not about how much of a ball hog our backup PG is.

2004 Mike James:
    19.7 mpg/ 6.3 pts/ 3.7 ast/ .401 shooting

2011 Will Bynum:
    17.2 mpg/ 7.0 pts/ 2.6 ast/ .453 shooting

Come on now.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Let's keep in mind what Will Bynum is suppossed to do, he's an energy spark off the bench, you're fooling yourself looking for him to be anything other than that. I think since he's gotten more healthy he's doing his job, earlier in the season he wasn't.

6. max

max All-Star

Mike James job was to spark the offense and put up some points. I would rather have BG taking those shots in the 2nd unit is what I am trying to get at.

In watching the games how many times has someone been wide open when Bynum is trying to take 2 defenders to the hoop for a tough shot. Things like that do not show up in the stats.

I know what you are saying - he has been a nice spark but we need someone to spark other guys more than themselvs.

7. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

I 100% agree with this analysis.

8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great post, TaS!

9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Good post. When your team is on pace for below 30 wins the problem isn't the backup PG. I doubt the Celtics would be much worse if we switched Bynumite for Kryptonate.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What about getting Bynum in the dunk contest? It always looks more impressive when little guys are dunking.

11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I like the Nate Robinson comparison. Can you imagine Celtics fans blaming losses on Nate after a game when he has a dominating offensive performance?

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Very similar players indeed:

Per 36 (which is OK, because they average 18.2 and 17.2 min... i.e. very close to each other). I'm even going to throw Earl Boykins in for a 3rd comparison in this midget category.

Playa: Pts/Reb/Ast/Stl/TO/FG%/TS%
    Nate: 14.3/3.2/3.9/1.0/2.4/.408/.518
    WB: 14.6/ 2.2/ 5.5/1.2/2.6/.453/.527

Earl: 17.4/ 2.4/ 5.3/1.5/2.2/.432/.517

Between the 2 of them, Will looks a little better. He scores marginally more on slightly better efficiency. The biggest variance between them is that Will has a significantly higher assist rate. However, Earl Boykins also has an amazingly similar stat line. He scores more solely because he takes more shots. He also gets exactly 17.2 minutes per game.

So, however you rank Nate Robinson and Earl Boykins, consider putting Will Bynum in that same category. They all have exciting offensive games and are limited on defense because of their size.

13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

THANK YOU....Long Overdue

14. max

max All-Star

Looks like I am the only anti-Bynum guy in here - lol

15. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'm on board with you....

While I agree Bynum isnt the reason we win/loss.... I don't think he's as great as alot of folks want him to be.

He's the 2nd best PG on this team I suppose... but thats not saying much when our best PG is an over the hill oft injured SF.

Our biggest need though going forward IMO is a True PG... Somebody that runs the team in sets and fills the void of running the team in the way that Isiah ran the bad boys and Mr Big Shot ran our last championship team... Something I never thought of when I thought about T-Mac was a leader, and he seems to be the best we have at that... scary IMO

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum played horribly in the first few months of the season. If he were still doing that, I'd be agreeing with you.

I'm not pro-Bynum, just anti anti-Bynum.

17. BillLaimbeer

Bynum's dunk (just after the whistle) was ridiculous. Sports Center maybe?

George Blaha: "If you don't like watching Will Bynum, then you don't like basketball."

18. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thank you all, I seconded.

19. BillLaimbeer

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Please don't compare Mike James, a fine defensive guard, to Will Bynum. It totally insults Mike James.