Let's Get Ourselves A New Leader

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by bricalz, May 3, 2011.

1. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Rodney Stuckey as player coach. Charlie Villanueva, lead assistant.

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I always thought of CV to be more of a security guy.

4. max

max All-Star

Dumars is 1-2 with guys who have never coached before. And he fired his 1 win ( Carlisle). Do we trust him to pick another who has never had the lead job before?

Maybe it's time to spend a little money and get a real coach. Or hire Bill Lambier.

5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

....and I thought that this thread is about dethroning "trainman" Roscoe....

:bump:

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All coaches at some point have issues with some of their players. Dumars has never stepped in and supported the coach when that has happened with the Pistons. I don't know if he's trying too hard to be one of the guys or if he just doesn't see himself in the chain of command, but without a strong message from management that the coach is the coach when these things come up, the next one will be a short timer too.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I wonder if real coaches are becoming disenchanted with the Pistons as a choice. Any outsider can plainly see that the inmates are at least trying to run the asylum, and Joe simply goes for more popcorn...

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

There are a lot of options for a new coach. Gar Heard did a great job filling in for Larry Brown for a couple of games when Larry had the incontinence issues.

Jerry Hendon (head of security) has the communication skills. He could speak directly to players which would help.

But...I like the idea of bringing back Woodson.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I honestly can't remember. I know we are always talking about the coaches being afraid of the players, and I believe THAT to be true.

But have we ever discussed that at least ONE of the MAIN reasons for that is because Dumars is AFRAID of the players and therefore refuses to support the coaches, which CONTRIBUTES/CAUSES the coaches to back down?

@Raxrets. Yeah, I'm on board with that. Quick. Let's overthrow him while he isn't looking. I'm pretty sure that one will try to put up a fight.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I think you're talking about avoiding confrontations.
    An actual fear of the players is a concept I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

ESPN Classic - The 'Choke' Artist

This concept is in no way limited to this single moment, only it's usually kept in house when it happens.
    Nevertheless, threats of physical violence against a coach by players are not uncommon and one such incident was reported when Saunders was coaching the team.

10-15 seconds is a fairly long time to lie on the ground being choked out without teammate intervention. Is it really surprising that someone wouldn't want to experience this firsthand, regardless of any sort of punishment they could meter out afterwards?

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

13. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Plan A? Phil Jackson looks like he could be looking for another gig :MusicBigGrin:

14. HardyHar

HardyHar First Round Draft Pick

I'm sure I'm the minority on this one, but I don't think, nor have I ever thought Phil Jackson is a good coach. When you think about it, he's never had to coach a team that didn't not only have bonafide super-star talent on it, but arguably the best player in the league on it at any given time (Kobe and MJ).

I'd LOVE to see what he could do with the talent Detroit has. I'm guessing nothing.

2004 opened my eyes and confirmed my suspicions when our "miss-fit" team from Detroit not only beat, but DISMANTLED a Lakers team that featured Kobe, Shaq, Karl Malone and Gary Payton on it. I know KM and GP were past their prime, but those two knew how to win and they should have been factors.

Phil stood by and watched as Detroit ran over the Lake Show and made NO adjustments whatsoever (that I could see) to try and change the tide. I mean, it would have been a sweep if Luke Walton hadn't came in and sparked a rally that lead to an overtime win. Even that game Detroit could/should have won with a foul on Shaq in the waning moments that Coach Brown decided was not the best thing to do.

So yeah, I think Phil's completely overrated. A monkey in a suit could coach a team with Michael Jordan or Kobe/Shaq to multi-championships.

15. HardyHar

HardyHar First Round Draft Pick

I think Q is just too much of an "assistant coach." What I mean by that is TYPICALLY the coach of a team is a hard ass disciplinarian that the players respect but are not friends with. The Assistant is usually the guy that helps the players deal with the head coach. He is usually the more compassionate, personal motivator for players (At least that's how it's been on all of the teams I've been on). He is NOT the general that a team like Detroit needs. I imagine Q is great at the assistant role though.

16. pass99

Yep, that's also my take.

17. pass99

Here is a criteria that I am looking for in a head coach:
    • Has been a Head coach and if possible, with playoff experience
    • Former NBA player who was held in high regard, which will help in free agency
    • Student of the game
    • Runs an up-tempo style of play
    • Currently on an NBA team as a coach (Head or Assistant)
    • Hard-nosed with respect toward player's actions and not afraid of calling out their accountability

My selection is Sam Mitchell. He equally fits all those requirements. He is highly respected and has had a good fit with big men. Concerning the latter, both Chris Bosh and Kevin Garnett speak highly of him. Coach of the Year (2006-7), beating out Jerry Sloan (Utah), Avery Johnson (Dallas), and Jeff Van Gundy (Houston). He is currently the top assistant for Avery Johnson (New Jersey Nets).

In short, when left to his own talent, with out bubbling interference (via Colangelo); he knows the game and how he can get the best talents out on the court. He is an ideal fit for the Pistons. Donnie Walsh is torn between Mitchell and Mark Jackson as go-to coaches on his next coaching Merry-go-round.

JD (or Gores) wrap this guy up. He can bring, and develop talent.

18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If Rodney is OK with him, then I'm OK with him.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I haven't heard much on the coaching front lately. I wonder if Rodney had interviewed anyone or if he is still in the preliminary investigative stages.

20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yes. Interviews are currently in progress.

Rodney is so experienced at this stuff that he can allegedly do it with his eyes closed.

[​IMG]