Let the fun begin: Jerebko says Pistons will be in the playoffs

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Dec 14, 2011.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Then why would you assume the offer would be $5M per year? I suggested that we put out a slightly below market offer. Do you think that the market price for Maxiell is $6M, but that the market is wrong?
  2. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think we need to use the amnesty on Gordon or CV as their expiring's will have some value, and we're still a couple of years away from being in a position to contend anyway.

That said, I wouldn't be upset if we did.
    pass99 likes this.
  3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Max seems to want to stay, and Joe is only too accommodating of players like that. Somewhere in between Bynum's contract (3.2 million) and JJ's (4.5 million) seems fair.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

$5 million is his player option for next year. Do we HAVE to give him a 4 year contract this summer? Why not just let him play out the final year of his contract?

Is Maxiel an integral piece to a championship team? No. Then why keep investing dollars into him?
    pass99 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I couldn't agree more Bill.
    This is a question that needs to be asked prior to EVERY contract offer. Heck, I'd even amend it to say:
    "Could (insert player's name) be an integral piece to a championship team?"

Joe hasn't asked himself this question in a long time and the result is a roster that has no identity and a team that has no plan. I have no idea what his methodology is lately or if he even has one.
    pass99 likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If it was a requirement that Joe could only sign integral pieces of future championship teams, then we'd only have 2 guys in uniform. It is key to have enough players to avoid forfeits, otherwise the fans will stop lightly populating the arena.

You'd sign Maxiell for $1M/year, right? I don't see why a team like the Bulls couldn't sign Maxiell and use him off the bench en route to a Championship.
  7. BallDon'tLie

So fielding a team full of guys that are pretty much "roster filler" is a good strategy?
    A team full of Walker D's and nephews of 'Nique Wilkins aren't going to help overcome the bad contracts that you're running out there each game. Instead of signing a guy like Wilkins, why not look for someone 5 or 6 years younger who might be able to develop into something.

Yes I'd sign Max for a million bucks but do you really think that he's gonna take an 80% pay cut to stay in Detroit?

Joe had buried himself in bad contracts that have his name at the bottom. The only way that he's gonna dig himself out is to take a chance on signing some guys with upside who might be able to develop into potential pieces for the future. I don't think that Jason Maxiel fits that description.
    pass99 likes this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You guys are talking about not resigning a top 5 player on our team at any price because he's not starter material for a Championship team.

All I'm saying is that you need bench players on Championship teams too, and if you can get them below market, then you have more money left over for your studs. Maxiell is as good as Big Baby and that guy is getting $6.5M per year about through 2015.
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That would be an interesting question. If you had a choice, who would you want on the Pistons....BB Davis or JMax?
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Per 36 minutes:

Maxiell: 10.3 points, .475 shooting, 8.2 rebounds, 1.2 blocks (at $5M/year w/ 1 year left)
    BBaby: 14.3 points, .443 shooting, 7.3 rebounds, 0.5 blocks (at $6.5M/year w/ 3 years left)

It looks like Davis scores more because he takes a lot more shots... and less efficiently. Shot blocking isn't comparable. P&R defense is not comparable either.
  11. BallDon'tLie

I'm not recommending that we not sign him because he's not 'starter material'. I'm recommending that we not sign him because we already know what he can do and he'll likely be too expensive for the services that he's capable of providing. Joe doesn't have a lot of money to spend. Maxiel isn't going to lace 'em up for 2 million per year.

Until Joe can magically shed these bad contracts that he has, he's gonna have to run this thing on the cheap. I'd rather be young and cheap than old and cheap. Young guys have a much better shot at developing into solid players who can be a part of your team when you finally get to a position where you're competitive. Old guys are more likely to remain playing at their current level. They're good to add once you've arrived but they're not going to help you on the journey. I don't see Jason Maxiel as a guy who after 6 years in the league, is going to add things to his game and improve as a player. He'll do what he did this year for the next few years until his athletic ability starts to decline with age.

I'd rather see Joe bring in two young Jason Maxiel's for the same price. Trust your scouts to go out and track down some young hungry guys who have the potential to be better than JMax. If one of those guys is a bust, cut him and sign another guy. Make every practice and every game a tryout for the future. Despite what Jonas Jerebko believes, were not going to be a playoff team next year unless we get very lucky in the lottery.

IMO; We don't need guys who have the capability of being guys top 5 guys on the team.
    ...We need to find guys who with some hard work can become top 5 guys in the LEAGUE.
    I know that it's highly unlikely to do this but you can't quit trying. Put it on your scouts to find 'em and put it on your coaches to develop 'em.

Here in Denver, George Karl and the Nuggets have a plan in place. They know that at this point, they aren't going to land an elite superstar that can carry the franchise. Their plan is to try and get a top-5 player at each position and compete that way. If they're successful, they'll have a ballanced team- similar to the '04 Pistons. I like that plan and they might just already be on their way to executing it.
    ...Javale McGee has the talent to be the 5th best Center in the league.
    ...Tye Lawson could possibly become the 5th best PG in the league.
    ...Danillo Galinari could make a case to become the 5th best SF.
    ...Kennth Faried is going to be a DPOY dude for years to come.

What's Joes's plan?

I like Max. He's a good guy and has provided us fans with some awesome highlights. He's fun to watch and entertaining as hell. I also like Tayshaun Prince. He's contributed a lot to our Pistons. But it was time to move-on. We could have had two young SFs for the price of Tay. I have a hard time believing that a highly paid Piston scout couldn't have gone out and found a young SF that could duplicate Tayshaun Prince's numbers this year for the as much or less than what he's making.

EVERY move needs to be about at least trying to get younger and better until the Pistons reach a level where they can win a playoff series. Once that happens, we can add some complimentry vets like JMax and Tay.
    The Panda, pass99 and webz like this.
  12. BallDon'tLie

...Trevor Booker.
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

We could have had Amara Sy Warrior instead of 4 years of palming if Joe knew what he was doing.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Seems like the unknown here is his market price. Joe is probably already offering Jason a lifetime deal with management and assistant coaching positions after his playing days.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Let Max get his payday somewhere else.
    Give Macklin all of Maxiell's minutes next year.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  16. BallDon'tLie

I agree.
    This year's draft picks should replace Max in the starting lineup as well as Ben Wallace as a backup.
    ...:fingerscrossed:
  17. BallDon'tLie

Looks like the Pistons will indeed be part of the playoffs.
    ...as spectators.

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So does Frank wait and take them to the finals or one of the first or second round games? If he wants intensity, what series does he take them to? Who does he decide is worthy of accompanying him to the games?
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Probably a typo, but I'm finding Franknwait kind of interesting. A fresh faced lad, classic horror, and a healthy dose of pessimism all blended together.

Very high concept stuff.
  20. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I don't see why its so out of the picture. We did go .500 after our originally turd run. No one here expected more than 20 wins.

I just don't want Dumars to test his trading skills with anyone named Greg Monroe or Brandon Knight.

We were one solid rotation piece away from taking it to Miami and Chicago. Thats not something to scoff at - these are the teams to beat in the league. We are in the lucky conference, where a .500 record over the season will get you a playoff seed - as much as I don't want a matchup with any of the top 3 seeds this year, I'd rather a first round exit than the NBA Purgatory that we just entered.

And I will say it - I like Lawrence Frank. I think he can make this team better than we think.
    coynejeremy likes this.