Legit Draft Day Trade Scenarios

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, May 28, 2010.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I love this time of year when I get to go from KGREG, to TheMadTrader!!!!
    Let's get ready to rumble! The #1 and #2 picks are untouchable, so I won't even go there. I think NJ was looking forward to getting Wall or Turner and they're not as thrilled with the 3rd pick (Favors or Cousins) so let's explore some options. Minnesota at #4 bears watching too.

3 team deal, Det, NJ, Minn.
    NJ wants more cap room, the only way this gets done is by moving Harris' $9M contract.....We'll Take IT!!!!! So Imagine this:
    • NJ sends Devin Harris to Det and the #3 pick to Minnesota in return they get: Ricky Rubio (the Russian Billionaire has the $$$$$ to bring him over here) and Minny's 4th pick, where they take Cousins or Favors. WHY? They get a young PG, a young big, and they clear $9Million off the books, just by moving down 1 slot.
    • Minnesota sends Big AL (or Kevin Love) and the 16th pick to Det; the #4 pick and Rubio to NJ. In return they get: Rip, Max our 7th pick and NJ's 3rd pick. WHY? #4 is too high to draft Johnson or Aminu, so they'll pick Cousins or Favors, that'll create a Big man log jam, so the highest paid big needs to go...BIG AL. At they end of the day they get Rip, Max, Cousins, Wes Johnson (or Aminu) for Al Jefferson and Ricky Rubio and be honest, did anyone ever believe Rubio would ever play for the T-Wolves? Not a bad day at the office.
    • Detroit sends Rip, Max and the 7th pick to Minnesota and in return we get: Big AL, Devin Harris and Minnesota's 16th pick, where we can get a marginal big man or project.
    Our team looks like:

Starters: Devin Harris / Ben Gordon / Tayshaun Prince / Al Jefferson / Ben Wallace (I think the big fella has one more in him)

Bench: Will Bynum / Rodney Stuckey / Austin Daye / JJ / CV

With Summers, Wilcox, the 16th pick, & the 34th pick all ready to go.

2. Brap

Brap Starter

I can't quess why Minnesota would ever be ok with trading Rubio and the #4 for the #3. Rubio might be the best young PG in the world. They aren't trading him to move up 1 spot.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's a good point, drafting Favors does Minny no favor (pun intended), that'd leave them with 3 guys that are the same siza at the same position. Cousins is a bonafied center, they need Cousins, not Favors. Rubio, best young PG in the world......now if that isn't a subjective opinion I don't know what is. They have Johnny Flynn, who did pretty good this year and is showing a little promise; but you have to look at the total deal: They get Rip, Max, Cousins (the pick they need and/or want) and our 7th pick (which they'd use on Wes Johnson or Aminu) for Big Al and Rubio.

4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Not a bad trade, however, it would be better if we could keep our #7 and someone else is thrown in the mix.

Call me crazy, but I expect Philly to be busy on the draft night trade scene. Doug wants Rip. Philly wants to dump Brand. Even if we are not partners with Philly, they will swing some trades on draft night guaranteed. I expect detroit to be right in the middle.

5. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

Really? Where did you hear this? That would be awesome. I wouldn't mind swapping picks and giving up Rip for Brand. Then draft Cousins and all of a sudden we have a legitimate front court.

I would prefer Turner though. If only there was a way we could keep our #7 and still get Brand + the #2. Hmmmmmmmmm.

6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If JD pulls off something like this, it'll buy him at least 2 years worth of job security. This trade:

Fills the PG hole
    Fills the PF hole
    Sheds Rip's contract & resolves SG logjam
    Sheds Max's contract

That's one hell of a way to play a mediocre #7 pick.

7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It's part of a blockbuster trade that's in the works but is kept hush hush until july. Essentially we get Brand & #2 for Rip alone, then we send Tay & JMax to Cleveland for a S&T that lands us LeBron. We draft Turner with #2 pick and package him with Stuckey to LA for Kobe.

All teams pass on Cousins for cash considerations and we draft Cousins with the #7.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The player we can get at #7 is not going to help our team win, all that's left at 7 is a bunch of guys who are going to be really good, in the right situation. The most optimal value of that 7th pick is to package it into a trade.

OK, Crazy :)

Slow ya roll, This is Doug Collins, not Larry Brown. Doug is not the type of guy walking around making personnel demands before the season even starts.

Now that is true, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to trade Brand for Rip straight up, but I wouldn't. And the truth is, there aren't too many GM's in the league begging to acquire Elton Brand and his bloated contract, and Philly is not going to part with the #2 pick just to shed Brands contract.

You heard it here first folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you and I both know that's highly unlikely. As many BS fantasy Mad Trades we concoct in Cyber-world, it never materializes, we build ourselves up to be let down draft after draft and every year at the trade deadline. When Joe does pull the trigger, NOBODY sees it coming. I do this crap for fun out of Piston withdrawal knowing in my heart Joe will never grant my wish.

9. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I'm convinced no rebuilding team is going to trade for Rip.

David Kahn's iconic pick is Ricky Rubio. Wouldn't make much sense to throw him away in a deal that gets them players no one in Minnesota would be excited about. Absolutely no need to get 7 when you have 2 other 1st rounders in a deep draft where there will be players at positions they actually need to fill.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's a fair statement, but remember Laimbeer is an ast on their bench......for whatever that's worth.

Is he really? Then why on earth do you draft Johnny Flynn right behind him. A guard in the hand is worth two overseas. At this point all Rubio is-is draft rights, he may never show up.....ask the Spurs how productive Tiago Splitter has been for them the last few years.

They need a vet and a SG, Rip is both of those things. Corey Brewer is their starting SG, and he's a much better SF than he is SG. They also need a Center to play with whichever PF they keep- be it Love or AlJeff.

11. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I can't explain what David Kahn was thinking when he tried to pair those 2 together, but absolutely nothing has changed with the situation. It'd just be random if he decided to give up on Rubio now, especially since he has another year on his contract overseas before he could even play in the NBA. Splitter isn't over here because of money, he's a superstar overseas and gets paid more than he would in the NBA. If SA ponied up, they'd probably get him.

They could also sign Mike Miller and get a veteran SG. Rip is by no means a coveted player around the league, he's more known right now for his poor contract. You say they need a center, the only center around #7 is Cole Aldrich. The T'Wolves are a team with assets. They have 3 draft picks in what should prove to be a deep draft pick, draft rights to a player who is an international star (which a team like NY would love to have), and two starter quality big men. Why would they settle on an overpaid SG, an overpaid and mediocre PF just to move a couple picks higher in a draft that they already have multiple picks in giving up their biggest draft pick since Marbury. It just makes zero sense. I know we are speaking in hypotheticals, but this deal makes no sense for them in any realm.

12. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

It's a good trade..

But I don't know how well will Al Jefferson be. I really think that he is like CV, there is no hustle on Jefferson.

Of course, that could change if he is around a good team, but I don't know, don't have too much faith on Big Al.

GReat work KGREG!

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I bet Joe trades a bag of Fritos to John Hammond for some curly fries over lunch. That's pretty much the only trade action I think the Pistons org is gonna see on draft day.

14. Brap

Brap Starter

Rubio will be in the NBA within a year or two. He's reputedly going to be an all-star PG - one of the truly great floor generals.

People rag on this now, but I thought it was brilliant of the Wolves to draft him. His value as an asset will not decrease - it will go up and up each year. In the meantime, the Wolves will accumulate some great young talent. They'll get a big time player in the 2010 draft. And they'll get a big time player in the 2011 draft. If Rubio joins the team in 2011, the major talents they've acquired, Al Jefferson, Love, Flynn (or the guys they acquire for Jefferson, Love and Flynn), plus the 2010 and 2011 picks are going to love playing with this guy. He'll slot right in and that young team will grow up together.

If he wants to play in the NBA, and from everything I've read, there's zero doubt that he does, then the Wolves own his contract for the first 4 years of his career, whenever that starts. No way they're going to trade him unless they get the motherload for him.

15. armygirl

Just speculation and rumors from sport talk radio in D.C. They even mentioned how Rip and Doug are close friends from their Wizards days. Collins wants to unload Brand's huge contract on someone, they think that the trade partner may be the pistons. All speculation though, you know how that goes.

16. armygirl

Hey KGreg, I love you dearly, but that must be some good stuff you are smoking there in D-Town, puff, puff, give, puff, puff, give.

#1 Rubio won't be going anywhere, Minnesota will hold onto him tighter than Dick's headband, you can take that too the bank. New Jersey won't give up Devin Harris since there is no John Wall.

We are talking about Doug Collins, the same Doug who once infatuated with a player, he won't back down. Look at the bone headed deals he convinced wizards and bullets management to go for, they are just now getting their draft picks and monies back from a heap of bad contracts.

I can agree with you on the 7th pick, not great players but very good ones, Monroe, i.e.

Cousins, I like him a lot, but his work ethic, and he has a case of arenasology(true head case) and he is now on pace to eat himself out of the league. Now if you give him some of that stuff that you are smoking, maybe at lease he can become euphoric enough to give us a couple of good years lol.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love this thread, but have absolutely nothing to add to it since I my only local BBnews/media spew is a Lakers repeat...:yellowprison:, so keep it coming draft experts and pundits.

The speculatory dialog here is enough to keep me logging backing on for more scenarios on the Piston future....(As long as I don't hear they are moving to Tulsa)

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I too see only a limited market for Rip. However, the Celtics trading for Ray Allen did not make a lot of sense at the time it was made. I guess you never know.

19. max

max All-Star

There could be something there. I do think other teams value Rip more than we do at the present time. He has won a championship. What has Elton Brand won

20. armygirl

Absolutely Max. Like someone above mentioned, the teaCelts traded for old oft-injured Ray Allen and sent away some nice young.

As it stands now, Rip can bring a lot to a team who are one major player away or who needs vet leadership on their team. Someone who has at least won something.

Also Max, I know we hear a lot about no-one wanting to take on huge salaries, but for sure I came name about 4 or 5 teams off the top of my head that have either traded their bad contract for another bad contract or, or just took on a bad contract thinking that it was a good move. Your thoughts, you know I love your input Max.