1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

LB's an Ass

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

rdang

Yes...of course game 7 against San Antonio was WAAAAAYYYYY too late. I said that long ago. It really would have messed Darko up.

2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

you are correct. one of the big 3 notably mcdyess was the correct choice for that situation. if not him then elden cambell was the next choice. darko would have done better than tay i have no doubt about that.

i have a question for you then. did darko suddenly become ready when he traveled over the atlantic?? he's blocking shots and rebounding and scoring over there in limited minutes. no those guys aren't tim duncan but they are nba quality guys over there. he's actually outplaying the nba guys on his team. i think darko would have gave tim a run for his money. darko is similar to sheed and sheed gives duncan trouble. we'll see this year how darko fares against duncan and we can question lb's finals decision all over again or not.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Me too. I was upset when I saw Nate take a job before we knew what was going on with LB. We definitely got the best available at the time.

4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Nate got tired of the LB/ Davidson chicken game. I can't really blame him. If he knew he was not going to go back to Seatle he could not wait especially if he had no gurantee from Detroit which I think Detroit did extend to Flip a while ago before the whole Cav's fiasco reared its ugly head. I don't really want to get into the debate over who was right and who was wrong but I believe that the whole thing could have been handled alot better.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It's very difficult to judge Flip. I'm telling you watching Minnesota during his tenure, I felt the Wolves had the worst luck of any team in the league. One day you gotta good young nucleus in Marbury, Garnett, and J Smith (when he still was believed to have an upside). Next Joe's gone and cost you big time, Steph is out to the East Coast and now you got KG all alone with Wally. Next you got Terrell Brandon who's killing your cap space on the Injured List. Truth is, Flip's teams over achieved during his tenure. The question is who was the main figure to make them achieve, Flip or KG?? I know one thing, all those first round exits can soley be blamed on Minn Mgmt. They never gave KG any legit team to play with. Flip is not a bad coach at all, but his teams have never showed any toughness or defensive intensity. The question is whether or not Flip is a Piston coach. Flip's teams share the ball on offense but also take alot of Jump shots too. While LB and Carlisle ran more controlled sets, Flips teams seem to be out there just free styling it. I just want to see us continue to play tough, grimy, defense first DETROIT PISTON BASKETBALL. Whether or not Flip can get that out of this team on a nightly basis remains to be seen.

6. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

I don't think its that Darko suddenly became ready, but he saw the opportunity he had in the Euro league that he never got in the NBA. He still got limited minutes in the Euro league (around 10-13) but they were key minutes which helped him build his confidence back up and got his heart rate pumping for the first time in a while.

That's what the kid needed. A good adrenaline rush to show his real potential. I think if LB put Darko in game 7, he would've been shaking in his Nike's. Maybe not scared...but definately doubting himself and for that split second he doubts himself, Duncan will take over.

Ever play a pick up game where you just know the person defending you is a mismatch? I always call for the ball when my guy is noticably not at my level, and I'll embarrass him until they switch guys on me defensively. That's part of the game.

I'm always the guy who'll wait till the end of the Piston games on TV to hear the Darko chants and clap when the kid gets on. But if LB put Darko on in that game 7 moment, I would've pulled my hair out and probably sent 1000x hate mails to LB the next day. Tayshaun was definately a bad choice but LB thought he'd put in players that he was confident in and were ready.

EC wasn't ready, and neither was Darko.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I seriously think this team is going to be a 60 win team this upcoming season. I think after Game 7 our players learned that every game counts even in the regular season. Even though we lost to BS teams like ATL, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Orlando, and the Kings after the C-Webb trade we still got 54 wins. Now if we don't lose to these kinds of teams next season we have to win at least 60 games.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Will Flip bring us a 60 win season? Yeah I think you could be right. LB didn't seem to get the team rolling until late in the regular season. Remember the first year he was here? They got off to such a bad start that the detnews forum was a constant barrage of "the sky is falling" and Lb bashing (calling LB an ass would have been pretty tame)...only a few kept a positive outlook, most notably our friend from Amish heaven.

There was even one oddball who promoted the theory of "sandbagging"...that is deliberately losing games in the regular season in order to lull our opponents into a false sense of security. Actually LB was tinkering and teaching..not sandbagging...and it just took a while to get in rythm.

The point is LB got it done when it counted ..in the postseason. Exactly what Flip hasn't been able to do in the past. 60 wins would be nice but it would also put a tremendous amount of pressure on Saunders to win a championship.

9. Darth Tater

Lots of knowns and lots of unknowns. New coach. So much talent. Possible chip on their shoulders.

Uhmmm...more than 40 for sure. J/K

ok, uggh....... hmmmmmm....

I can't really see less than 56 or more than 62.

How about... 59 - 23? That's a safe estimate, I believe. I think that will nip Indiana's mark and win the division.

Gulp. I hope. :pray:

10. MotownPride

Sounds right to me.

11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Wins

I say 49-33 or 50-32

2nd Division & 4th seed overall

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Come on it's not all on the coach it's mostly on the players, and our players know how to win. Plus we're a better team than Minnesota.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Are you serious? This is a team that has gone to the Finals for the past 2 years. This is not just a "good" team.

14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Himatt, you have to keep in mind that when Gar Heard took the reigns last year when Larry was out the result wasn't good. Minnesota had a lot of talent and there is a big question mark as to whether Flip is a coach that can take a team to the championship, which is what he has to do to be successful in Detroit. Did having Hall of Fame coach LB make a difference to this team? I'm going to say yes. Will Flip have the same results as Hall of Fame coach LB? I'm going to say it's doubtful.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree. I get tired of people saying that Minny had no talent. You don't win 50 games with no talent. Sure Minny was a lower seed, but they also 50+ games 3 years prior to Cassel/Sprewell and didn't advance out of the first round.

I know, it sounds like hating. It's not. It's SHOW ME. I'm not buying the hype, or the flood of optimism. Just show me playoff wins and I will be a bigger Flip fan than I was a Larry fan.

It is doubtful that Flip can be better than Larry. Our hope has to be the players. Can they be better this year than they were the two years previous? And by this I mean, the starters. Can they all raise their games this year? They will have to if we want to be successful.

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

thread

I don't have anything insightful to add to this discussion. I just wanted to comment that "LB's an Ass" is a great name for a thread.

17. Darth Tater

BillLaimbeer

I still get a good chuckle and shake my head every time I see that heading.:laugh:

18. MotownPride

funny.

ha..ha..ha..ha..ha..:laugh:

19. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

micro

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Try 2002. They had a 50-32 record just like us. We won 4 playoff games and went to the second round with less talent than they had.

They got swept by the Mavs who got kicked by Sacramento in the next round.

In 2002, they had 5 double digit PPG scorers and the league's 2nd best offense.

Olowakandi didn't even join the squad until 2004.

Anyway, the excuses are just that. I certainly hope we don't have to make up excuses at the end of next season. I would like to think that this squad is the favorite in the East and as I expected last year, anything less than a Game 7 loss in the ECF is a bad season.

Yeah, I've got expectations. High ones. Winning will do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.