LB's an Ass

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max

max All-Star

Lb

To me the bottom line is LB did not want to be here. I think he planned on stepping down until his agent got involved and reminded him of all the money he would be leaving behind.

How could LB tell Dumars that he was unsure of making it through the season and then tell Isiah the next week that he would have no problems making it through the season?

I think LB is in a situation that he is more comfortable with. He likes rebuilding teams and getting them to the next level and he will have a lot more clout with the Knicks to infuence personnal decisions.
  2. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

why flip will be better

Micro I am not drinking flips KOOLAID I am not a bandwagoner who all of a sudden fell in love with the team because the team won. No I am a diehard fan that means I watch replays when I get out of work and I am up till 5:30 in the morning trying not to yell at my TV so I don’t wake up my wife. I tape games on tnt because they don’t replay games and I tape espn because of (due to time constraints we will watch 10 more commercials and then move to action later in the game crap) having said that I want you to understand that I want us to win. That does not mean I want us to develop talent play bench players 30 minuets a game or any of that crap. I want a coach who will make smart timely substitutions, I want smart timely timeouts. I want a coach who will stand up for his players whether that is taking a t because he thought his player got fouled did not foul etcetera. Above all I want a coach who can recognize when a player can’t handle a match up and make the appropriate changes despite his ego. Larry Brown did all of those things even up to the finals but the last one. Larry would not concede to moves that pop made because he did not
    1 want to try to act desperate and react to the moves that pop had made.
    2 thought that he would make pop react to him (ill just play the starters all game)
    3 could not admit to himself that he was being out coached by his protégé
    4 or simply did not have faith in his own players.
    Those things all relate to LARRY BROWN and his ego. I am not in any way trying to discredit what he has done I have said it before he is a great teacher. What I am saying is that if you look at what I said about what I expect from a coach I think flip will be more than capable of doing them all. If he does that then I think our team will be able to win games even close games high pressure games such as playoff games. If by midseason he can’t do those things then I will be on the same boat as you a little worried about the team and its abilities to progress in the playoffs. do I think if the playoffs were to start right now we would be ready heck no but the heat would not be either we have 82 grueling games or up until the trade deadline to find out if our team and flip has what it takes. We can’t get off to a slow start we can’t have anything close to a losing streak and by no means can we have growing pains. I like our chances with flip at the helm would he have been my absolute first choice I cant say that he would but out of coaches available he was the best choice. Was the change necessary yes LB wore out his welcome due to his own volition. Do I wish things had been different, yes he could have not been so stubborn not been out coached we could have won and he could have stayed and we would be ready for this year. You wanted my position that is it. All I can say now is go pistons!
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

abe,

not trying to be mean, but through the morning crust on my eyes, you really need to make some paragraphs, that is darn hard to read.

I get the gist of it, and that's what I have been arguing about. Some of the most vehement supporters of the coaching move have a problem with Larry (understandable) but really don't have a lot to say about Flip.

It's the old, Flip will be great because he is not Larry. I'm still waiting for someone to convince me (or take a reasonable shot) at Flip will be great because point1, point2, point3...

Points about Flip, not how people perceive him as different than LB. Real points. Stuff that's been looked up or gleaned from following the Wolves.

Stuff like, Flip will bring in a zone defense which is good because 1. it will make more marginal players effective on defense, 2. will present a different look to challenge our opponents, and 3. take pressure off of the same frontcourt contributors (Ben, Tay, Sheed).
  4. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Yes, he is that

Sure, he is but I could live with it if he was a fair-minded ass. I equate DMC coming to Detroit to the Pistons to my situation of leaving home to enlist in the Corps. We were both about the same age, leaving our homes to enter a completely different environment at our own request, after living with our parents all our lives. And his home environment was tougher than mine due to the war and unrest he had endured.

The relentless, derisive, tough, in-your-face attitude of our D.I.s kept us from being homesick and got our minds free to accept the things which were being drummed into our thick skulls. I don't even think the classless interview with Letterman hurt that much except to tell DMC right away how he was regarded by his new mentor.

What hurt was having no opportunity to put these new things into action in the heat of combat. DMC was reticent to draw attention to himself on the floor because whether he did something good or bad, the result was the same. Get jerked out of the game, yelled at, get sent to the end of the bench to rot. I agree with all that except the lost opportunities to come back in and put those new moves and actions into use on the floor.

I can remember vividly how we talked about our D.I.s; like they had better never enter combat with us because we would 'kill him first'. They were our deadly enemies, worse than the North Koreans. Then when we graduated and were lean, mean killing machines, we all went to the 'slopshoot' to drink and let off steam with those same D.I.s. They did their job by being exceptionally hard on us to get rid of the homesickness while they trained us, but they still gave us every chance to put into use what they were cramming into our heads.

That is why LB is an ass in my opinion.
  5. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

i can't really say much that hasn't already been said...but, count me in the camp that believes we will be just as effective if not more with our new coach. we may lose coaching experience with LB, but we gain a coach who will play deeper into our bench and has a fresh outlook on our team's talent.
  6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I agree. I liked LB until I saw his wicked ways. He is a lier and a person that only cares about himself. You however can't deny his coaching ablity. Personality aside Flip has a lot to prove. He has to step in and right away get us to the finals or he will look like a failure. I just don't think he is battle tested to be honest. He in my opinion has not shown the backbone to stand up to the likes of Sam Cassel or Spree so I don't think he will tell Sheed to cool out when he is getting T's up or tell him to stay in the post or you will stay on the bench. But hey, Flip is the caoch now and I will support him 100%. Atleast he will bleed blue and red and not have his eye wondering like a $2 ho.
  7. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

i've posted this somewhere before, but the thing that i love the most about Flip coming in is his commitment to team basketball. sounds cliche at first, but i looked up league leaders in team assists per game and i do believe that Minny has up there consistently in recent years. higher than the Pistons, i believe.

we all know that the Pistons are near unstoppable when our turnovers are low and our assists are high. to me, that's a reason to be highly optimistic.
  8. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

did lb tell sheed to stay in the post? did lb get on sheed about the techinacal fouls?? i wonder why there is this thought process that lb controlled sheed. sheed did absolutely whatever he wanted to do on the pistons. he will do the same thing this year. i think cassell and spree had money issues not coaching issues. flip has a group of character guys and won't have problems getting these guys to play for him.
  9. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Couldn't agree more

I get so annoyed when I hear that Sheed will only play for Larry Brown. Gimme a break. Do you think LB really preferred Sheed to jack treys or to shoot from the post?

Sheed is Sheed, Sheed will do as Sheed pleases and he will disappear at times. Sheed hasn't really changed in his tenure in the NBA and I doubt he will this season.
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The Flipside

I don't know much about Flip's ability to coach. I've never seen him coach. Has anyone ever seen any blatant mistakes he's committed as a coach or some consistent weakness in his strategies?

I know this. He had some pretty good regular season records and some pretty poor playoff stats. But right now it's pretty hard to say why. I just think we need to wait and see.

As coach of the Pistons he has a great team. He has every opportunity to succeed.

But you know what? Even if we win the NBA championship next year, I'm not going to say Brown could not have done the same. On the other hand, if Flip loses the E.C. finals I'm not going to say Brown would have been able to get us past them. Because things have changed. Our team has changed and the competition has changed. It's interesting (to a point) to talk about this stuff because we really have nothing else NBA related to talk about during the offseason. But NOBODY can possibly win this debate.

No matter what, we will never know what would have happened had we kept Carlisle or hired someone other than Brown. And it doesn't matter. We know this...under Brown the Pistons went to to consecutive NBA finals and won one. We can debate over whether that is good or not. But over the last two years, no team has accomplished more. So in my opinion that's damned GREAT!

Brown is gone. I think the overall consensus is that he is a successful and great coach in many ways, but also has a couple of weaknesses as far as developing some young players as well as some highly undesirable personality traits.

I think the overall consensus on Flip is that he coached Minnesota and therefore most of us don't know a hell of a lot about him, except that he is likeable and did poorly in the playoffs seven years in a row.

I personally think Joe Dumars has a good eye for knowing what established players can help the Pistons. I think, overall, he has done poorly drafting players, (although we will see what happens with Darko and Maxiell & company). But hasn't he done well picking the last two coaches? Carlisle and Brown were both winners. I don't even remember who coached the Pistons before them (Was it Collins, or did we have a few after him, lol?) and whether Dumars hired them or not, but I think he grabbed two good ones in a row (not that it was a big secret that Brown could coach). I trust the guys judgment. That's why I think Flip will be fine. If not, we all can rest assured that he will be gone in a heartbeat. The Pistons organization is not shy about dumping coaches.

Look at all of the talent and potential on this team. It's going to be an exciting year. We all have different expectations on what will constitute a "successful" year. At the least, I think we all agree that the Pistons better make it past the first round. But after that? We really do not KNOW exactly what we have or what's out there yet. do we?

Personally, I'm very excited for the season to begin.
  11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

...about the Letterman clip

Ya know, in my opinion, I didn't really see anything in that interview that was all that bad. The way I saw it, LB was just jawing it up with Letterman and "overstating" Darko's maturity with regard to the rest of the team. I'm sure to the rest of the team Darko probably goofed off like a kid would (sure, 10 yr old overstates it a bit), but it was just a little ribbing and giving the audience a chuckle. I've had some coaches that couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag, but even if those guys said something like that, I've never been THAT thin skinned where I would take it all personal and get bent out of shape....

...but, that's just me.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Taken by themselves the things LB said on Letterman weren't all that bad. But when you consider the fact that young Darko has become a punchline to any number of jokes ( I typed in Darko Milicic in a Serb to English translator and the English equivalent is Sam Bowie) it was a cheap shot by LB. Taking a cheap shot at his young vulnerable player for a cheap laugh....not cool. How would he like it if Darko came on and started joking about Larry wearing diapers after his surgery?
  13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I know I'd like it.
  14. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Lmao!

That would have been the funniest thing I've ever heard in my entire life! LMAO!
  15. Darth Tater

lmao

Oh wow, that's funny bills. OUCH!
  16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Maybe Darko can offer his own "floodwater relief" effort during the season, and have a big shipment of sanitary napkins dropped off curbside at Madison Square Garden. The New York press would love it.
  17. Darth Tater

You guys are BAD! :nono::laugh:

Another nice thing about these threaded forums is that people have the opportunity to express their senses of humor. I've seen so many funny things just today alone. The moments would have been lost knee deep in beeching and silly lineups at the old place.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Bills,

I'm serious you gotta go into comedy writing man :nod:

Let the diaper jokes begin:
    After each game LB likes to be pampered and share some Whine
  19. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Darko sportin' Depends?

That wasn't too bad DT.

Now if he said that "Darko walked in wearing Depends while carrying a urinal and a box of wet wipes."
    Then that would've been bad! :laugh:
  20. Darth Tater

omg...I am totally on NO feed with that!!!! :tape: roflmao
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.