1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

LB's an Ass

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You guys are worrying way too much. When Flip had his first press conference here he said he was only going to try using some new offensive plays, and on defense use some zone. Change is good.

2. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Darko's No Progress

Are you saying that based on Darko's performance last year, did you actually observe progress?, and are you blaming LB exclusively for Darko's performance in game situations? I am confused as to what you are trying to say?

3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

no. i'm saying darko didn't progress i'm saying darko actually regressed under lb. i blame lb for darko's garbage time performances. that is when darko plays bad in garbage time which was lb's favorite time to put him in the game.

darko has always played well during meaningful minutes and he is continuing to do that. he is not doing anything now that he would not have been doing for the pistons if lb had actually put him on the court. i'm saying darko hasn't had a lack of progress he's just had a lack of playing time. i think you are confusing the two things.

4. max

max All-Star

Yes - But

Would LB have played Dalinbert? He probably would have since Coleman missed most of the next season. But would LB have played Darko next season? I highly doubt that. But I do not want to turn this into a Darko playing debate as there was much more going on than Darko playing or not.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

LOL. It's too late for that. The Flip vs. LB thread with a smidgen of LB dislike has turned into a full on LB vs. Darko. Some things never change.

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Rudy T. in Houston.

People are trying too hard to prove that Larry's departure is a problem or a blessing or no big deal. Well, it can't be proved by us. Accept that. The team, and ONLY the team, will show us in good time.

Flip is a legitimate NBA coach who's had some success. He's coming to a team with talent, experience and quality characters. So we have reason to be optimistic, and very little reason to gripe. For now.

7. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Please interpret meaningful minutes, if you are earning that much cheese yearly, every minute should be meaningful. I guess I may as well pack my bags and go home, I am down her in Bell Chase, LA., I am not doing anything meaningful right now, may I go home, I don't think so. BballJay, I am just trying to say, what ever opportunity that you may have, regardless of the resulting circumstances, it's best to make the best of whatever resources that you are handed at the time. For some, 2 minutes is a lifetime. Tommorrow is not promised to anyone, just ask those folks in LA. As I have mentioned many times before, I think LB could of exercised a bit more patience, the boy defintely had issues and not one of my favorite people right now, however, Darko must be held accountable for the role he played and that was I truly believe that Darko had some entitlement issues. I know you are going to hit me back on this one.

8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Billips and LB coaching

I have to agree with Bball Jay on Billips. As the SA series went on, it became aparant that CB was our main consistent scoring threat. We stuck in the mode of letting CB do it in the 4th quarter. By game five, Pop played his card and put Bowen on CB. That switch may have cost us the game in regulation time. We didn't know what to do. Worse, we were as unprepared for that move in game 7. Why not bust CB a few times early in the game. Dare Pop to make the switch. I think we would have seen a different result. There are many instances last year where one had to scratch one's head--our 29 point performance against Indiana in the second round. That was the first sign that something was not right with the offense. Yes, larry makes good decisions. yes, he molded a championship team. But something was missing last year. I think that his health affected him. We would have to change the offense this year even with Larry as everyone saw what SA did. In the NBA, if you stand still you are going backward. But changes should be gradual and yes, there is a delicate balance that has to be observed.

9. roscoe36

lapiston,

I don't think that Bowen playing Billups is good for us period. Bowen has shut down better scorers than Billups all last year and throughout the playoffs. If you didn't watch San Antonio play Phoenix or Seattle then you probably missed him driving Ray Allen to tears and taking Shawn Marion completely out of a series.

Think Tayshaun with a mean streak and relentless attitude.

Our biggest problem was Rip letting Bowen into his head, and then he couldn't get his game straight to dominate Parker. How sad is that?

At the end of that series, I knew why we lost. San Antonio played harder than we did over 7 games. We got outworked, outhustled and lost our cool. It wasn't just Game 7, but Games 1, 2 and 5 that cost us that series.

10. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

bball, still no objectivity...

As time goes on one should grow more wise and less bitter as a poster.... Therefore to sit hear and state that lb never out coached carlisle (or anyone) is the epitome of foolish haterism guy. Thus a huge reason so many posters have a hard time taking most of your posts seriously although you do have a few credible things to say. Everyone here knows that lb had some bad points, but until you can at least come to grips with and admit lb's MANY strong points you will never see the big picture nor gain true credibility. I mean come on man do you think he got into the Hall of Fame (as a coach) for not knowing how to coach at all, and didn't we win a NBA World Championship with him at the helm?!?!?

11. Tyskillz

Indeed bowen on Billups is NOT a good look for us, however Chauncey is very adept at drawing fouls on opponents and I'm confident he would at least be able to accomplish this feat vs bowen then forcing him to slack off of him or risk fouling out.... Actually if bowen were to defend Chauncey the entire game he likely would foul out, therefore sa will probably wait to the second half or 4th quarter to put him on C-note. Let's not give bowen too much credit here, although he is an excellent defender when Chauncey and rip are on their game they are more than capable of having their way with the annoyances of bowen.

Remember folks the primary reason Chauncey didn't play as well in game 7 was due to the ticky tack BS calls against him on parker early in the game that sent him to the bench. By the time bowen got to him Billups wasn't having the best game that night already anyway....

12. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I think Bill Davidson had it about right, it was too much Larry and not enough Pistons. The Pistons need a head coach on the bench not a NEWS STORY. Every few days it was a new distracting story about LB and his intentions. LB became bigger than the team and that is a huge no-no in a "blue-collar" city like Detroit.

For all of his "MANY strong points" that you point out he had just as many weaknesses. Like not giving 100% of himself despite collecting a hefty coaching salary. Like talking SH#T about his players in the media and on national TV. Like not listening to his team Captain. Like not developing young talent. Like not resting the starters more. Like not using a successful trap, that he employed the previous year with almost the same personnel. Like not hiring a good staff around him if he can't coach for whatever reason. Like not adapting any of his coaching style to some of the personnel on his current team.

LB is far from perfect. He didn't win a title before he came to the Pistons and he won't win one after he leaves. The Piston's had pretty much "gift-wrapped" it all he had to do was sign the card with some finishing touches.

13. Tyskillz

On the fence

I feel just about the same way Merc, I'm not going to (indirectly) wish bad on my on squad sort of like Micro seems to be doing already.... We still have an incredibly strong team here and flip has never had a squad like this before. So although I'm not jumping on the bandwagon and giving him instant validation (like some) I am willing to give him a fair chance. I don't think that's too much to ask of any of us....

14. roscoe36

Awwwwwwww, c'mon Ty. :fear:

I think we will be awesome, but man do I have doubts. You think I would be busting my nut to build a temple to wish bad on Flip and our boys? You got me all wrong bro.

At the same time, I'm not going to drink the Kool-Aid. I did that last year. 2005/6 is the season of "Show Me" we are a dynasty and not wishful thinkers.

Oh, and show me that we are better without LB. Yeah, that's important. Show me that our players don't need a special coach to get the most out of them. Flip may be bonafide, but it remains to be seen if he will be special.

15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Rip in the SA series

I agree, Micro, that Rip disappointed me in that series. With parker on him, he should have exposed that match up anyway. But he is such a gamer that it is hard for me to knock him. I think that we need to go back to using him more as catch and shoot. Bowen is not a good match up for us on Billips but I agree with Tyskill that Bowen would have had foul trouble if he guarded him early. Hopefully, we can find out if we get back there this year. SA seems to have an easy time out West.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What I saw was a media frenzie... Some reporter was talking to LB about some day coaching the Knicks... and LB answered that was his dream job.

When Larry started having complications (had to wear a cathiter (sp)) he was concerned about the discomfort not being able to go on the road... his doctor said it was amazing that he could finish the season with his problems... this was a real sickness... nothing made up.
    He didn't know that he could coach again... he was friends with the new owner of the Cavs (Gilbert) through the Pistons.... LB knew he could not take Joe's job. Gilbert said if it came to the point where Larry could not coach he would offer him an exec job... Joe is a compasionate man and agreed that he could persue this option.
    The media took it and turned it into a circus.... Larry consitently said he wanted to return here if he was physically capable.
    Could Larry have been talking to Isaih? certainly... but why would he consider the Cleveland job if Zeke was offering him a position?
    It's a shame that we fall prey to some of these rags that need to create a story.
    When LB was fired it had a lot to do with Mr D's perception of the attention that Larry was geting from the press instead of his Pistons.
    Yeah I think LB rubbed people the wrong way... the guy went from the hospital to the playoff run and was feeling bad... how friendly would anyone be under this discomfort?
    Maybe it is time to make a change, but I think LB received too much of a bum rap ...especially after his accomplishments.
    I wish people could seperate the rookies not playing from the coach that brought home a trophy.

17. Tyskillz

He got results...

Indeed pal larry was no doubt FAR from perfect but he got results period point blank!!! However you want to portray it my friend the fact remains he won an NBA Title, those are the cold hard facts. Not to mention most of the basketball world expected us to get swept right out of the gym that series, so common sense would say our 2004 World Championship was FAR from gift wrapped as you falsely stated my friend....

18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Change is bad when you're already having success.

19. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Change

seems to treat Joe Dumars just fine. He fires a successful coach in Rick Carlisle because he felt he couldn't go farther with him. Then he fires another successful coach because he feels that he can't rely on him being here for an entire season.

Joe is looking out for the interest of the team LONG-TERM and until one of his hirings/firings fails I gotta say that Dumars is even more successful here than Larry Brown was.

Can you honestly say that the Pistons WON'T WIN with 100% certainty after this move?

If not, it's pretty hard to argue with Joe's track record, since every year he has progressively gotten better.

Maybe Joe will continue that trend with this hiring, we don't know what Dumar's ceiling is.

20. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

change

Yes, I can say that Flip Saunders will not get us back to the finals. Just as easily as I could see that The Cola wouldn't pull #12 from the starting lineup and refused to learn from his mistakes from one year to the next.

Saunders will not do as good a job with X's and O's as LB and we will suffer in the long run for it, especially if Joe D puts a 10 year chip on Flip. Some coaches are better than others, period. It's not ALL about the players. If that was the case, we could run Alvin Gentry out there and expect to win the East.

Even if the Pistons say The Cola was fired for non-basketball reasons, same as LB, I would have fired Cola on his coaching moves alone (Tayshaun > Darko). There are no X's and O reasons you would fire LB and that is the standard. Whether or not you think he wants to be here, he is UNDER CONTRACT, you MAKE him pick up the phone and tell you he's quitting. Then you have all the amunition you need to bash the guys character if that's what you want to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.