LB clip from last year

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Sep 5, 2005.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

2. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Watching that Clip

of LB on Letterman really makes me loathe Brown. He is such a cocky and arrogant a$$hole. What kind of person actually thinks it "mature" to go on national TV and basically call out a 19 year old player and call him immature and say that "I'm finding it very hard to ""love"" him". LB is a total prick and I have nothing but intense dislike for his whole handling of a kid that we could have used.

There have been 4 Pistons that I know of for sure that have said that Darko is ready for minutes and that he can play at the NBA level. I know Elden did last year, Ben did last year, Sheed said that Darko has some skills and who could forget "DMC ain't no punk". Now Billups comes out and says the kid can play. We really could have used him in the Finals last year if he had been properly developed. Too bad our former coach was too busy looking for his next gig.

I hope Darko can put all of this nonsense behind him and play some ball this coming season. He has played very well in the Eurobasketball games. He has been aggressive and seems to be gaining confidence. I just hope he brings that to the NBA next year.

Here's to a great season for all the guys that Brown felt the need to trash last year.

GO PISTONS !!!!
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Letterman comeback

I love Letterman's comeback to Brown:

Brown did speak about his next job, coaching the U.S. Olympic team. "We have a lot of guys that aren't coming, so I heard that you play a little?"

A confident Letterman replied, "I'll come, but I've got to get my minutes, you know what I'm saying? I’m not coming to ride the bench."
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Lb

I agree. I absolutely dislike the way he helped the Pistons win a title and then led them to a 7th game in another Finals. He is a prick.
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Too bad there was no head-on 'smiling' smilie banging his head against the wall to add to your post

There are a lot of disgruntled people in Pistonville for reasons I'm not sure of :confused:

Perhaps we are spoiled by our richness...
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How how. NY and Cleveland seemed pretty interested in our coach, not that his tremendous flaws are not known. I do believe we are spoiled by the recent winning.

The question to ask is, will Flip complete building a dynasty or usher in the next teal era. This coming season has a lot to watch for.
  7. max

max All-Star

Darko's Revenge!

Give Darko some mins against LB's Knicks next season. What kind of front court are they going to have?

Its going to be interesting how LB gets along with Frye with Frye supposedly a soft player and all.
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Hating LB

I don't hate the haters. I understand J'attaq's point. Billups' comments add credence. LB's tough love didn't work on Darko, a kid who probably was a little too thin-skinned and green to appreciate it. LB probably should have realized that not everyone grew up here and those who didn't grow up here probably don't understand a grizzled vet's style of coaching. As far as not playing Darko having any relation to the Pistons not winning it all, I don't see the connection. At all. Joe D said he was a three to four-year project. Expect more minutes and earlier in the game this season.
  9. roscoe36

Darko's pre-NBA coach was a real hard nut as well. Some of the stuff he would say about Darko was pretty mean.

We'll see. No excuses this season. It's put up or shut up.
  10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Would Memo Have Stayed For Less Money

It didn't work on Memo either.

If Brown had treated him decently and gave him some more minutes would "baby fats" have stayed?

Say what you want about him. He along with McDyess would have made a nice pair to back up Sheed and Big Ben last year.

I think that Sheed and Memo would have taken a little less and the Pistons would have had enough to sign Sheed, Memo and McDyess. Of course we will never know.

But its for sure that what ever chance we had of keeping him was lost with Brown's "tough love" on him. In all likely hood with McDyess and "Baby Fats" coming off the bench last year the Pistons would now be going after a threepeat.
  11. roscoe36

The contract portion of your post is pretty speculative. Memo's qualifying offer was around $1.4 million a year. Joe purposely let him go out and play the market to see what his value was.

Memo ended up getting a contract starting at 7.5 million a year + raises.

Where were we going to come up with 6.1 million a year (and then factor in the raises)? That's taking a BIG chunk away from Sheed. In fact, it would have lost us Sheed which was common knowledge. One or the other.

That's the problem with offer sheets. Once signed, you have to match. You can't play the "Memo, please come back to Detroit for a less than Utah offered you" game. And any agent worth his salt will push to get the biggest commitment possible. That offer sheet is good as gold, whether the old team matches or not.

You could argue signing Memo and then not signing Dice to the MLE. But it was still cheaper to get Dice and for a shorter deal (less risk). The Pistons felt really good about his knees even if everyone else in the league were doubters.
  12. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

lb is a joke

wow if i had seen that before i would have been even more upset with him. saying his 10 year old is more mature. tough love nothin he didnt want the kid around. id rather have darko than a stubborn prick like him i know he was here for the ring i just dont understand why guys like micro will back every move he made while he was a coach here HE MADE MISTAKES ... ALL COACHES MAKE THEM
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Abe

I don't care much for Brown either, but in fairness to Micro, he does NOT back EVERY move Brown made. From what I see he does think Brown is a great coach and does defend MANY OF Browns ACTIONS, but in truth, Brown does not deserve all the blame he receives. I've recently even seen someone blame Brown for Rip losing his temper. Come on, is that fair?

IMO, Brown was a very good coach in some ways (x's & o's) and very bad in others (I don't like the way he handled Darko or the way he flirted with other teams). He could be a good guy (applauding Reggie) or a jerk (Darko comments).

So let's be fair to people (Brown and Micro). Everything is not always black or white and we shouldn't paint it as such.

For the record, I've had disagreements with Micro about Brown too. But I didn't see his support of Brown as blind and without reason. I think you are the one generalizing too much in this case...not Micro.
  14. max

max All-Star

Okur

When Utah came up with that offer I do not think it would have mattered how he got along with Brown. He was going to take that no matter what. A lot more money and at the time a starting position.

It was choice between Okur and Sheed and frankly I think Dumars made the right choice.
  15. roscoe36

I think Darth gets it.

I liked LB. No I didn't like everything he did, but I thought he was colourful (which in my book is a good thing), opinionated, obstinate and more into basketball (the history of the game) than anyone I have ever heard of. Personality without rough edges is a salesman. LB was not a salesman. He was a man who dictated things his way and lived and died with the consequences. He wasn't afraid to say the wrong thing or make the wrong move.

Management dealt with that because he is a winner. Legendary for making teams better in the short term, which was the prescription Doctor Dumars wrote for this franchise when he hired him in 2003.

Beating the Lakers at the Palace, those memories will last for as long as I live. And in those memories, LB is standing on the sideline with a scowl on his face with his arms crossing his chest.

Yes he made mistakes. BIG mistakes. Every coach does. I guaransheed that Flip will have you scratching your head at one point this year wondering "Why are you doing that?".

If Flip doesn't win and win big, his being nice to or playing Darko more will only satisfy a small group of fans. I'll support him as long as I believe that his primary motivation is to win now. I don't care how he does it, as long as it gets done.

Even if he plays Dupree, Delfino and Darko as starters. Just win baby.
  16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

In the spirit of being fair, LB was a huge part of us winning the title, however something changed after he won. And the first sign was him bashing Darko on Letterman. I remember the interview, and I was shocked when I saw it and I've posted a lot on it over the past year.

You just won a title, the sole reason you were hired was to win it, and you're raggin on some 18 year bench warmer? LB should have been patting himself of the back, I would have if I was him. That clip should have been the first clue to everyone that there were some serious problems between Darko, LB, and probably Joe.

Whatever was going on, it poisoned the next season. LB refusing to use DM, JD refusing to give LB Eric Snow, and then LB shortening his lineup because he wouldn't use Joe's players (IMHO).

Dont know what happened, or who's to blame, but it seems that a lot of personal feelings from the players all the way to the ownership got in the way of us repeating. Now with LB gone, we lose the coaching genius, but we also lose the emotionaly roller coaster, hopefully Flip isnt too far behind on the coaching smarts, and we will make it 2 out of 3.
  17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Great posts, guys.

We can only guess about what went on behind the scenes. But my gut says that Larry underestimated Joe and thought he could eventually "mold" the Pistons to operate on his terms. When that fell flat, there was only the quest for a championship to keep him interested -- meaning he was pretty much out the door after Game 6.

I love Joe. He's like some sort of martial arts master -- quiet and easygoing, but utterly decisive and cold-blooded when it's time to act. Larry Brown may have been the prescription his team needed, but there damn sure wasn't going to be any overdose.
  18. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

coaches

you know what i want out of a coach totally cold blooded his players go for the throaght every game:boink:.nothing like kicking a guy while his ears are bleading ok to far whatever. i have seen two in my lifetime phils bulls and coach ks duke teams almost all of them. they put the nails in the coffin and dont feel bad about doing it. i dont know how they convey that to their teams but damn you got to wish we could do it. the pistons for the last 2 years have acted like they can turn it on when ever they want and its scary because they pulled it off most of the time how many games did we spot another team a double digit lead at halftime ?? just to come back and slap the other team in the face for thinking they could beat us .... ok that is kinda cool to but i want to see the other coach sweat cuz his team just got his A$$ handed to him. I want to say flip might be able to push those buttons get the guys to go all out all 82 games and carry that into the playoffs rather than ehhh we can come back just my opinion though. i prefer blowouts :) to nail biters :mad: anyday
  19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Matter of preference.

Well, I don't know.

I prefer blowing out teams we are suppose to blow out.

But I do enjoy a competitive rivalry. The most memorable games for me are games where we have to pull out all the stops to win and the game is climaxed by some 4th quarter magic. Unfortunately, my stomach will have done a million flip-flops during that experience. :)

I will agree that I would like to see the Pistons give maximum effort every game though and not just turn it on when "necessary" as they did last year.
  20. roscoe36

I love close games. Blowouts are boring, I don't take garbage time seriously... ;)