Latinos in the NBA: Forum Discussion

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by puertoricanballer, Sep 5, 2005.

1. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Latinos in the NBA

Along with Carlos Arroyo and Delfino, there are other latinos making some noise in this league. Recently, Esteban Batista, a 22 years old center from Uruguay was offered a $900,000/season offer from Atlanta after killing the opposition in the America's World championship qualifier in Dominican Republic. Luis Flores is about to land in Toronto and Peter John Ramos is expected to contribute more to the Wizards is he can control his temper and impruve his consistency. If you speak Spanish and want to speak in your language, let me know. Perhaps we can create a forum about our players.:usa2: :eyebrows:
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Absolutely. TBird is comfortable communicating in Spanish and willing to help out as a latin moderator.

If there is interest, we'll pursue it. As long as there is sufficient staff to support it.

Sadly, I do not know any spanish. :ohwell:

I will ask that this thread be moved to Site Feedback And Suggestions.
  3. puertoricanballer

More on some latinos

With Marcelo Machado, a brazilian guard who was the best scorer in the America's World Championship qualifier, recieving an offer from the Cavs, obviously tha NBA eyes are looking to Latin America. Hector Romero from the Venezuelan national team recived an invitation to vets camp. Alejandro "Bimbo" Carmona 2/3 from the puertorican national team received an invitation from the Pistons to come to camp. He has been followed by the Stones for a while. I'm extremely surprise Richard Lugo, center with the venezuelan team haven't received an invitation from any NBA team. He is a solid player with nice defensive skills. The venezuelan team Offense is built around him. Luis Felipe Lopez, who played for the Wolves, is been followed by some NBA teams. At 32, he can't play the way he used to, but he can still can provide some good minutes off the bench. Daniel Santiago, who played for the Bucks last year signed a 2 year contract with Unicaja-Malaga, the same team Fran Vazquez(Magic's draft pick, 10th overall) used to play for. Another player to watch is Ciao Tiager, from Brazil. This guy is almost a 7 footer with a lot of heart.
  4. puertoricanballer

Thinking about the latinos history on the NBA, my mind went back to Rolando Blackman. I don't really remember any other latin before him:doh: . If you do, please post his/their name(s) here. Also think of other prominent players that have latin heritage ( Marc Jackson, former Knicks PG, his mother is from Dominican Republic; Carmelo Anthony, his mother is puertorican).
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

wow.

lol. I never associated Rolando Blackman with being Latin. I guess the name gives it away though. :)
  6. puertoricanballer

Rolando Blackman

He's from Panama. There are a lot of Panama players with English names. (Mario Butler, Rolando Frazier, Leroy Jackson, Michael Hicks, etc). What about Marc Jackson? Patrick Ewing, From Jamaica? Tim Duncan, From the US Virgin Islands? Alfred "Butch" Lee, a puertorican NBA player from the 1970's? I'm sure there are more out there.
  7. max

max All-Star

Puertoricanballer - Whats you take on why PePe Sanchez never made it in the NBA?
  8. puertoricanballer

Pepe Sanchez

I followed Sanchez carrer with the Argentina National Team and he played very well in international tournaments. I think he couldn't either adjust to being a reserve player and lost his motivation or he just simple didn't have the skills to compete at this level. He's now playing for the Unicaja-Malaga (along with Daniel Santiago, who played for the Bucks last season) on the Spain's ACB league.
  9. puertoricanballer

latin players going elsewhere

First was Fran Vazquez dishing the Orlando Magic for a Spanish ball club and a ton of euros and now the Uruguay's Esteban Batista is "studying an offer from another Spanish club. Is the NBA losing his attraction among top Latin players or is everything about money? Obviously they aren't attracted by the name alone any longer. How it is posible that this Spanish teams can compete, sometimes sucessfully, with the NBA when it comes to attract new promissing talent?
  10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Three More Including The Best Spanish Player

in the NBA. Paul Gasol Grizzlies is from Barcelona Spain. I think he is the best Spanish player in the NBA today. We also have Albert Miralles Forward-Center for the Celtics from Barcelona Spain and Raul Lopez Utah guard is also from Spain.
  11. puertoricanballer

More latins in NBA

Good additions. Raul Lopez is not with the Jazz any longer. He just signed a contract to play in the ACB league in Spain. Now, there is another spanish PG that just recently signed a contrat with the Raptors. his first name is Jose, but I don't recall his last name at this time. There are a few others hispanics that had been invited to veterans training capms across the league.

In another developments, Esteban Batista, the 22 years old uruguayan center who recieved an offer from the Hawks, just signed a contract with a team in the Uruguay League, pending a better offer from a team in the NBA or Spain. This kid was the rebounding champion at the America's World Championship Qualifier. Also Luis Felipe Lopez received a semi-guaranteed contract from the Magic. He said the Sonics have interest too.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

New Guy

Francisco Garcia from Louisville was just drafted by the Kings. I think he will be a very, very good player in the future. Pretty sure he was born in the Bronx, but his parents are both from PuertoRico.
  13. puertoricanballer

Francisco Garcia

He was indeed drafted by the Kings. Garcia's parents are from Dominican Republis, which is the isaland next to Puerto Rico. Francisco, along with soon-to-be King Luis Flores was representing the dominicans in the recent America's World championship qualifier, at Santo Domingo, the capital city of Dominican Republic.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

Garcia

Is Francisco Garcia from the Dominican Republic, or his parents? Either way, I think he will be a very good player.
  15. puertoricanballer

Garcia

Yeah, I think he'll be pretty good too. He did a great jod for Louisville and he played well in Dominican Republic. Besides, he said in a recent interview that he doesn't expect to spend a lot af time on the bench,because he'll go to training camp to earn a position in the rotation. We'll see about that.

On other latins, Arroyo is practicing down in Miami along with the newest Sun adquisition,his former teammate(both college and Utah) and buddy Raja Bell, and others players and ex players. He's doing extra workouts in his house by himself and with the extra motivation of building a better future for his new daughter, he'll be in great shape.
  16. max

max All-Star

Thanks for the info

Been a mystery to me how PePe could totally stink in the NBA and yet lead his team to Gold both in the Olympics and in the 2002 Tourney. Seriosy when he was with the Pistons he looked real bad.
  17. puertoricanballer

News from Puerto Rico

It was news today on Puerto Rico the inclusion of Alejandro "bimbo" Cardona in the NBDL. The Detriot Pistons "wanted to watch him closely" so they decided to send him to the developmental league to a team yet to be determine". Supposely, the league is schedule to start Nov 18.

Filiberto Rivera , a PR National team backup PG who played for UTEL last college season was part of a two weeks workout with the Cleveland Cavs for their open backup PG position. I think his chances are pretty good. Minimum salary and experienced PG who played 4 years of college and international Bball. He's expected to be in the veterans camp.

Larry Ayuso, the starting PR National team shooting guard have been invited to vet camp with the Clippers. This guy can shoot all night and was invited last year by the San Antonio Spurs to their camp. He have to develop some PG skills if he wants to make and stay in the league.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

PRballer, that's an interesting comment about the Pistons wanting to see Cardona in the NBDL... I haven't read the whole thread but if you didn't already talk about him could you give us an update about his skills?

Also I recall watching Ramos in a tournament about three years ago and he was dominant... I thought at the time... why isn't he kicking ass in the NBA?
    Darko took some heat for being beat on by him... but the kid does indeed have legit talent... I don't know why he couldn't contribute more with the Wizz (too many bigs at the time?)... Is he still in DC?

One last question... I spent 1 1/2 years living in Miramar (PR) 1970 & 71... we would walk across a bridge to New San Juan just before Condado.. what was the name of that beach? (sorry shoulda PM'd this question)

I hope this forum catches on with other Latinos
  19. puertoricanballer

Merc

I just posted some of my observations about Carmona on the thread you initiated. He's a strong player with an average outside shot but a good slasher. He also have some leaping abilities.

Peter John Ramos is a great talent. I was following his performance on the America's qualifier for the World Championship, and he was looking good. He loose his head easily, though, so his game is affected by his emotions. He have to keep working with emotion control as well as his posts moves. On the other hand, he can run the court and have an above the average ball handle for a man his size.

On the beach, when you pass over the bridge to enter the Condado area, there is a small beach on the left hand side called Condado Beach. The bridge goes over what in known as the Condado Lagoon, a favorite jet ski destination for those living in San Juan and surrounding areas. The best beaches aren't in SJ. They are on the western side of the Island (Combate, Buye and the most famous beach of that area, Boqueron). There are others on other parts of the Island, but in my opinion these are the bests.
  20. puertoricanballer

Jack Michael Martinez

has been invited by the Lakers for their Vets camp. This guy was the MVP of the PR tourney. He's a strong 6'9" PF with a good outside shot and good feel for the game.