Las Vegas Summer League 2010

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by det2atl, Jun 19, 2010.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16841

So there.

Have a nice day.

:hoops:
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Greg Monroe: A full toolbox

Day Eight Las Vegas summer league roundup - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

And I don't want to hear nothing.

Have a nice day

:hoops:
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

All I gotta say is, if that Monroe we saw yesterday was the higher side of his potential, this dude has a lot of game. It's all the little things he does.
  4. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

I am sorry PO'd I missed this game and this was the one SL game that NBA TV didn't rebroadcast.

Bummer...
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Who are these monsters centers in the league that will make Monroe look like a child? Aside from Elbowmaster Howard, The Big Bynum and Perkman, who is out there that's a true center? Dampier? Chandler? Okafor? Collins brothers? All those guys have gaping holes in their games that Monroe can exploit. Aren't most teams in the league getting by with a PF playing center anyways?

I think the kid will do just fine. He'll make many rookie mistakes and probably get in foul trouble frequently, but he'll do fine.
  6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I don't buy that necessarily. Scoring at a high FG% is about shot selection, and being crafty with the ball. A guy like Monroe, who has a good bball IQ, and can dish the ball when he gets in tough situations, has an advantage.

I don't see any way he is going to shoot as low as 42%. My guess would be right around 47-49%.

My guess:
    26mpg
    9.6ppg
    5.9rpg
    1.4apg
    0.6bpg
    1.1spg
    48% FG
    70% FT

Seeing what kind of minutes he gets and how involved he is offensively will be the number 1 storyline I'm watching this season. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised, and he'll get 30+mpg, and plenty of touches, but I'm doubting it.
  7. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I have my doubts about Monroe.. Unitl I don't see him in october or november in REAL NBA GAMES I won't believe any reports about him from ESPN or other sites..

Come on people.. you should know better... According to a lot of scouts Darko Milicic was one of the best players ever.

It's a summer league game we are talking about, Donte Greene scores 40 points here a few years ago.

I understand that, based on the lack of news of the management, not even rumors of trades or whatever, we get very excited at a great game from our 7th pick (who seems to be the only one who can take us out of the hell we are going into)..

Don't get me wrong, please, I like Monroe a lot and I don't blame no one from draft him, I think he was the right choice.. but don't expect him to be an All-star, at least, don't believe it until I see him in real NBA games in November.. (sorry for the negativity lol)

I just don't want to believe all those scouts who based on a few games from Monroe in the sumemr league are already saying that he will be an All-Star in 5, 6 years.. Don't want false hope.
  8. buffaloBRAVE

buffaloBRAVE First Round Draft Pick

I agree, there aren't many true centers that are THAT GOOD, and GM isn't small , he's about 250, that's almost ideal for a C nowadays. I think he'll have an easier time guarding centers than PF and hybrid PF's, and an easier time scoring on C's as well, as long as he gets his share of touches.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

SJ, normally I would agree with you, but after watching him in the SL, it's obvious the sort of skill he has.

There are a lot of uncertainties, and I don't know how good he will be, but after the last two games, I am pretty excited to see if he can win a starting role.
  10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

For all the "I wish we got Cousins over Monroe" talk, I would say Cousins is showing a few more red flags than Monroe at this point. He's shooting 40% (less considering he is 0-for-6 in the game going right now), and 5.2 TOs.
  11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

tried to find it but can't.... but read a comment about him at the draft he was in the same hotel as Durant and as he walked by Durant in the lobby he looked at him and told him to not waste his time (Durant was signing autographs). Durant was said to have just sighed at him and kept on signing things for fans. Durant is sooo the anti James, the more I hear about him the more I feel the need to cheer for him to succeed.

Cousins very well may have the most talent of not only the big men in the draft but of anybody. But I think his hi reward also has so many red flags for a bust or a burn hard and fast and be done in 3 years.
  12. nelson33

nelson33 Second Round Draft Pick

Horrible game for cousins shooting 3-15 from the field in 30mins. It seems less and less likely that he'll be the sudden impact ROY candidate that he was hyped up to be despite those monster early games. Not a good sign to be declining rather than improving as the SL progresses...
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well Summer League is over and what have we learned
    Edgar Sosa and Mac Koshwal were solid summer league pickups, I think we should consider waiving Wilcox and inking Koshwal and Sosa
    Terrico White is a pretty good ball player. I think we may have looked at his athletic ability and wanted to see some Speedy Gonzalez type of player running all over the court at 100mph and jumping all over the place, but no, he's actually a freak who plays under control and within himself, the freakness comes out only when neccessary.
    Summers, will he make the squad this year? As big as he is, he's basically a big shooter, sorry Brap, he's not Karl Malone Lite.
    JJ is JJ, no fluke here folks, just one good ball player full of energy and hustle.
    Austin Daye can play, but will he? Time for Tay to be moved for a pack of Jolly Ranchers so this kid can get on the floor. As vesatile as his game is, we should be playing more Big Ball not Small Ball.
    Greg Monroe got better each game over the cousre of 5 games. He showed his strengths and weaknesses and it seems like he has a huge repetoire that should only expand over the course of his career. I expect GM to be one of those rooks whose contracts get done after their 3rd year so that they NEVER hit the free agent market.
    Lots of stuff to look forward to this fall in training camp, I for one can not wait!!!! (Hopefully Tay and/or Rip won't still be on the roster).
  14. HardyHar

HardyHar First Round Draft Pick

^^ I agree, good assessment.
  15. Brap

Brap Starter

Edgar Sosa and Mac Koshwal were solid summer league pickups, I think we should consider waiving Wilcox and inking Koshwal and Sosa

If the team is going to consider a true PG, I'm not sure if that will be counter-productive to the type of team we could/should/will? build, which runs a lot of the offense through Monroe and Daye/Tay, and which has PG's who are great at driving and cutting to the rim. It also would cut into my current dream of White becoming a better all around version of Bynum, and a guy who can be interchangeable in a starting backcourt with Stuckey and Daye.

Terrico White is a pretty good ball player. I think we may have looked at his athletic ability and wanted to see some Speedy Gonzalez type of player running all over the court at 100mph and jumping all over the place, but no, he's actually a freak who plays under control and within himself, the freakness comes out only when neccessary.

Nice. He's really intruiging. I'll bet the Pistons want him to become a Bynum-like aggressive guard AND play under control.

Summers, will he make the squad this year? As big as he is, he's basically a big shooter, sorry Brap, he's not Karl Malone Lite.

I too am wondering how he fits. I think Summers can be a really good player in this league. But I see him as needing to play with a great D center shotblocker type. Still, I see him as a big scorer

JJ is JJ, no fluke here folks, just one good ball player full of energy and hustle.

Austin Daye can play, but will he? Time for Tay to be moved for a pack of Jolly Ranchers so this kid can get on the floor. As vesatile as his game is, we should be playing more Big Ball not Small Ball.

We can do that by playing him at SG and having the offense initiated by him a lot.

Greg Monroe got better each game over the cousre of 5 games. He showed his strengths and weaknesses and it seems like he has a huge repetoire that should only expand over the course of his career. I expect GM to be one of those rooks whose contracts get done after their 3rd year so that they (Hopefully Tay and/or Rip won't still be on the roster).

It's time to build the team by assuming that Monroe and Daye and JJ and Stuckey will be fixtures. Find the complimentary pieces to them.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The one thing I noticed about Terrico White is that he doesn't play quite like they said he did in the reports. He was compared to Wade and Stuckey, but he doesn't attack the basket like those two at all. He's more of a jump shooter, and he has good form on the jump shot. Doesn't seem like much of a passer though, so I'm not sure about his aspirations to become a PG.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If we're gonna be bad we might as well be young.
    I was impressed enough with Sosa and Koshwal to offer these guys some low-rent contracts to see if they can stick. I'm more impressed with Sosa than Koshwal.

There might be some other summer leagers (from other teams) that might be worth looking at as well.
  18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Sig'd.
  19. pistonsfan

pistonsfan First Round Draft Pick

In my opinion, all the players who played on the summer league squad for the pistons will be back ups (including Monroe) except for one Jona Jerebko.

It may sound harsh to a few people but that is what I think.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I saw Trent Plaisted playing for the Bulls last night. How can this happen?

They must be trying to keep Monroe's confidence up.